Are we on a fools errand? | Syracusefan.com

Are we on a fools errand?

Orangefan1

All Conference
i guess I need someone to tell me the logic in recruiting two players who we are more than likely not going to get in Girardii and Stewart especially when we could focus on recruits who want to be at Syracuse. Stewart has thirty or so other offers and Girardi has always been a Michigan lean. Don’t know why we continue to do this to ourselves

i guess I need someone to tell me the logic in recruiting two players who we are more than likely not going to get in Girardii and Stewart especially when we could focus on recruits who want to be at Syracuse. Stewart has thirty or so other offers and Girardi has always been a Michigan lean. Don’t know why we continue to do this to ourselves
If we didn't go after Girard, people would say whats wrong with Syracuse-in state guy who is a top recruit and we aren't going after him?

?????? The sale starts when someone says no. Not yes.

They are focusing on other guys, too.

Planning to visit, or have visited with Whitney, Cockburn, Akok, Braswell, and those are the guys where the news leaked out, so there may be others. JB is out visiting these kids, too. This is something we haven't seen in previous years and is a part of the reason why we were left with such barren rosters heading into the spring/summers.

Why isn't Stewart and/or Girard a real option? Stewart is a 5-star in our backyard, you HAVE to go after him like they are. Maybe harder, even.

He's always been a Michigan lean based on Message Board posters stating it over and over. Just like how one person saying Marek might not come back from Europe became a probable thing in some peoples brains. Sure his dad played for Beilein but I don't think it's ever came out of the kids mouth that he favors Michigan over everyone else.

I am just trying to figure out who we are prioritizing and why. My question is and I know Boeheim himself said it last year when he was talking about recruiting that they focus on so many recruits at a time and don't recruit anyone else. I find that to be a cover for a player he doesn't get. My concern is not repeating past mistakes and getting burned again and again. Yes the offseason can be crazy but we want to find recruits that we have a fighting chance for. Not players that we recruit to just look good or ones that its public knowledge love other programs over ours such as Stewart.

BTW there was a very good article on getting to the final four...Typically you need a McDonald's All American to get there. Not saying Stewart won't be, but it should be a priority that we recruit a few of these a year without question and not be putting all our eggs in one basket. What is our backup plan for not getting Stewart?

Cuse doesn't recruit two studs from Upstate who sign elsewhere: What's wrong with the staff? Why aren't we going after local talent?!
Cuse recruits two studs from Upstate who might sign elsewhere: What's wrong with the staff? Why are we wasting our time?

BTW there was a very good article on getting to the final four...Typically you need a McDonald's All American to get there. Not saying Stewart won't be, but it should be a priority that we recruit a few of these a year without question and not be putting all our eggs in one basket. What is our backup plan for not getting Stewart?

Backup plan for Stewart? We're involved with LOTS of highly rated frontcourt players for the class of 2019. Hardly all or nothing with respect to Stewart. Check the hoops recruiting board.

I'll will say this, following the program for over 40 years, we don't have anywhere near the same stronghold for top in-state/upstate guys as some other highly regarded top programs. In NC (where I've lived the past 24 years) if there's a top ranked kid, it's most probable that they're going to UNC or Duke, then there's State as laggards. Even the top SC players typically end up at one of the Carolina schools. If there's a top player in the state of Michigan, again, it's most probable for that kid to go to MSU or UM. We have lured very good in state/up-state guys over the years, but more often than not, the elite or best of the best find their way to other schools. For a high level/exposure program as ours, I wish we had a better track record on our elite home grown kids.

If anything, casting a wide net reminds me that we’re doing the opposite of what (IMO) we usually do which is hone in on certain players and hope for the best. Didn’t work out so well with QG.

I actually think Girard could be ours if he was made a priority. Yes he's got other high major offers... But, I'd venture he will be another guy that gets recruited over if he chooses Duke. Michigan, I think is the biggest competition for Girard.

As for Stewart, I agree he is a long shot. BUT, you still have to try. Dajuan Coleman(who was a five star recruit out of high school) chose Syracuse over Kentucky (among others) as a local kid. Every guy is different and has different values and priorities.

This “putting all of our eggs in one basket” hot take should be taken out behind the barn and shot.

All you literally have to do is look at the front page of the recruiting board to see we aren’t going all in on Isaiah Stewart.

I'll will say this, following the program for over 40 years, we don't have anywhere near the same stronghold for top in-state/upstate guys as some other highly regarded top programs. In NC (where I've lived the past 24 years) if there's a top ranked kid, it's most probable that they're going to UNC or Duke, then there's State as laggards. Even the top SC players typically end up at one of the Carolina schools. If there's a top player in the state of Michigan, again, it's most probable for that kid to go to MSU or UM. We have lured very good in state/up-state guys over the years, but more often than not, the elite or best of the best find their way to other schools. For a high level/exposure program as ours, I wish we had a better track record on our elite home grown kids.

That's what New Jersey's for ;)

He's always been a Michigan lean based on Message Board posters stating it over and over. Just like how one person saying Marek might not come back from Europe became a probable thing in some peoples brains. Sure his dad played for Beilein but I don't think it's ever came out of the kids mouth that he favors Michigan over everyone else.
Nobody thinks that's probable, nor did anybody suggest that. But most of us can understand that a kid from Europe might at any time decide to head home and try playing pro ball there.

In fact, Donna D suggested just that in her profile on SU recruiting today:
The Orange could potentially lose both its starters next season. Oshae Brissett has drawn the attention of NBA people and Marek Dolezaj could always opt to stay home in Europe and play professionally there.

I would hardly be surprised if he did just that. I don't think it'd be an option this year because he could really blossom with another year, but I wouldn't be stunned to see Marek not play 4 here.

Nobody thinks that's probable, nor did anybody suggest that. But most of us can understand that a kid from Europe might at any time decide to head home and try playing pro ball there.

In fact, Donna D suggested just that in her profile on SU recruiting today:
The Orange could potentially lose both its starters next season. Oshae Brissett has drawn the attention of NBA people and Marek Dolezaj could always opt to stay home in Europe and play professionally there.

I would hardly be surprised if he did just that. I don't think it'd be an option this year because he could really blossom with another year, but I wouldn't be stunned to see Marek not play 4 here.
Throw blonde chicks at him until he graduates.

Where are you getting this take? We've been in touch with him and went to visit. That's just recruiting him. He's one of several we're looking at. This is the opposite of "putting all our eggs in one basket."

Is it a fool's errand? He's relatively low probability, sure. Most top recruits are. Presumably he hasn't told us to go kick rocks yet. I don't see any evidence that this is adversely impacting other recruiting efforts.

A year ago this board was screaming bloody murder about recruiting too narrowly and JB not putting in effort in recruiting. Now we're casting a wide net and JB is hitting the road. Zero complaints here.

If we didn't go after Girard, people would say whats wrong with Syracuse-in state guy who is a top recruit and we aren't going after him?

Yup, like they did with Jimmer while ignoring that we were deep with good guards(some also from upstate) at the time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom