Are we seeing the rise of a new McCarthyism? | Syracusefan.com

Are we seeing the rise of a new McCarthyism?

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
Are people going to start seeing child molesters on every street corner? In the cubicle next to them? Are the lives of scores of innocent people going to be tossed to the wind because someone makes an unsubstantiated claim against them? Will the media be the new Joe McCarthy?

Had the thought. Just posing a question. If the media can jump all over this story after it's already been investigated three times and report accusations as facts, what the he'll can be done to stop it?

We had a poster last night that was posting it was OK if journalists ruined the lives of innocent people in a noble quest to rid us of a "molester menace" (and sadly I'm only paraphrasing slightly), so I'd say yes...

Problem with the term mcarthyism is that ole Joe was proven correct after the soviet cables were released with the venona project.

We had a poster last night that was posting it was OK if journalists ruined the lives of innocent people in a noble quest to rid us of a "molester menace" (and sadly I'm only paraphrasing slightly), so I'd say yes...
two sources = ok to go balls out. If you ruin someone's life, eh, oh well them's the breaks. still don't get his arguement but he was a media guy so it's probably safe to assume he's not the only one that thinks like that. Hence this debacle.

Problem with the term mcarthyism is that ole Joe was proven correct after the soviet cables were released with the venona project.

Actually its the perfect analogy. there were some Communists, but many of the people whose lives were ruined in an effort to uncover them were innocent. There are some pedophiles today, but some in the media are totally cool with ruining the reputation of innocent people to uncover a few bad apples.

wow. old joe ruined a lot of innocent people. He never had any proof of anything. Walsh put him in his proper place. Of course the Soviets had spys in our gov't. Probably still do. We had them in theirs. but witch hunts, which was all he and his evil side kick Cohn were good for.

Are people going to start seeing child molesters on every street corner? In the cubicle next to them? Are the lives of scores of innocent people going to be tossed to the wind because someone makes an unsubstantiated claim against them? Will the media be the new Joe McCarthy?

Had the thought. Just posing a question. If the media can jump all over this story after it's already been investigated three times and report accusations as facts, what the he'll can be done to stop it?

comic Bill Burr (Chappelle's Show) has a bit about this subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2dOboLsh-4

Just before the Bernie story broke, many people on the football board wanted the entire PSU program shutdown and/or for SU to pull out of their series with PSU on moral grounds. There were a lot of very negative things said about anyone and everyone associated with Penn State -- even though PSU encompasses hundreds of thousands of students, employees and alumni. So, yes, there was a new McCartyhism. It was a live and well here when the subject was PSU. I want to believe Bernie is innocent. If and when his innocence is proven, then I hope people view the PSU scandal with the same perspective they are bringing to this situation,

Just before the Bernie story broke, many people on the football board wanted the entire PSU program shutdown and/or for SU to pull out of their series with PSU on moral grounds. There were a lot of very negative things said about anyone and everyone associated with Penn State -- even though PSU encompasses hundreds of thousands of students, employees and alumni. So, yes, there was a new McCartyhism. It was a live and well here when the subject was PSU. I want to believe Bernie is innocent. If and when his innocence is proven, then I hope people view the PSU scandal with the same perspective they are bringing to this situation,

Are you serious? Sandusky admitted to wrong doing. He said that he "horsed around" nekked in the showers. That he toughed legs. He was seen by several witness performing sex. He was caught by the police saying he was sorry. On top of that it was covered up by JoePa and Penn St. They are all guilty. We don't know if Bernie is.

Even if Bernie is guilty, I still think PSU should go to hell. As long as SU didn't cover anything up, I don't see how we should be punished.

Are you serious? Sandusky admitted to wrong doing. He said that he "horsed around" nekked in the showers. That he toughed legs. He was seen by several witness performing sex. He was caught by the police saying he was sorry. On top of that it was covered up by JoePa and Penn St. They are all guilty. We don't know if Bernie is.

Even if Bernie is guilty, I still think PSU should go to hell. As long as SU didn't cover anything up, I don't see how we should be punished.

Quite serious. My post was about extreme and unwarranted responses to events (e.g. McCarthysim). Crimes were committed in State College. In a rational world. that doesn't mean everyone at PSU should have been tainted by the crime or the myriad other accusations people were throwing around before the Bernie story broke (these posts have all dried up, suddenly).

I also agree with the differences between SU and PSU. But, get ready to see the words "Penn State and Syracuse" linked a billion times in google searches if the Bernie story goes bad for us. The public is not going to see a difference, even though everything you have said is 100% correct. Which is a peripheral example of the original subject of this thread.

Quite serious. My post was about extreme and unwarranted responses to events (e.g. McCarthysim). Crimes were committed in State College. In a rational world. that doesn't mean everyone at PSU should have been tainted by the crime or the myriad other accusations people were throwing around before the Bernie story broke (these posts have all dried up, suddenly).

I also agree with the differences between SU and PSU. But, get ready to see the words "Penn State and Syracuse" linked a billion times in google searches if the Bernie story goes bad for us. The public is not going to see a difference, even though everything you have said is 100% correct. Which is a peripheral example of the original subject of this thread.

No, but the whole athletic department knew about it so all of them are tainted and we should cancel the series with them. There are giant differences between the two and it's going to get worse at Penn State than it's going to get here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom