Arizona | Syracusefan.com

Arizona

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Anybody watched them the last three games or so? Marsh? ;) They have completely re-vamped their offense and have been blowing out some possible Tourney teams. I know SU's schedule has been tougher but not the BC/NC St. games. Anybody know what they have done strategically to start scoring plenty of points all of a sudden? Losing Ashley was a major loss and they are playing some of their best ball now with a thin bench and not the best shooting team. SU is a top/elite program and these offensive struggles the past few years are painful to watch and mind-boggling. Virginia and NC St didn't even play much stall ball either.

SoBeCuse said:
Anybody watched them the last three games or so? Marsh? ;) They have completely re-vamped their offense and have been blowing out some possible Tourney teams. I know SU's schedule has been tougher but not the BC/NC St. games. Anybody know what they have done strategically to start scoring plenty of points all of a sudden? Losing Ashley was a major loss and they are playing some of their best ball now with a thin bench and not the best shooting team. SU is a top/elite program and these offensive struggles the past few years are painful to watch and mind-boggling. Virginia and NC St didn't even play much stall ball either.
Forcing turnovers, playing great d and getting out a bit.

What AZ said. Last night they forced a million Stanford turnovers and got out on the break where they shine.
Plus they get to the line a ton (and are a bad FT shooting team which will kill them at some point).

Forcing turnovers, playing great d and getting out a bit.

Gotta be some sort of offensive tweak as well. 79 points is the lowest they have scored in two weeks!

Marsh01 said:
What AZ said. Last night they forced a million Stanford turnovers and got out on the break where they shine. Plus they get to the line a ton (and are a bad FT shooting team which will kill them at some point).
Our last game was really the first time we lacked extra possessions. We get the in the form of blocks, turnovers, steals and off Rebs. When you're missing shots like we are you have to have extra possessions (and trips to the line). I bet we had 15 more shots than duke (balanced by they're absurd number of trips to the line)

i'll admit i all but wrote them off after the ashley injury but they seem to have tinkered a little bit with the lineup and righted the ship.

SoBeCuse said:
Gotta be some sort of offensive tweak as well. 79 points is the lowest they have scored in two weeks!
Other than getting out more and making shots ? Not much. They've played 3 weak sauce defenses as well.

Nick Johnson is who Trevor Cooney should want to emulate. Johnson can shoot the ball and is really Arizona's only perimeter threat as McConnell isn't as good as Ennis at shooting the 3 ball. However, McConnell is like Ennis in not turning the ball over, and is better at getting Arizona running in transition. Aaron Gordon is a better version of Jerami Grant and runs the floor and rebounds the ball. Like Grant he can't shoot consistently enough in the college game to make teams fearful of leaving him open. To beat Arizona you must rebound and take advantage of them in transition as they crash the boards hard. Arizona is similar to Syracuse in that they have a dominant defense except its m2m rather than zone.

thought i heard last night wild bill say that zona had originally slid york into the starting lineup only to decide later that he was a better asset (spark plug) coming off the bench. sound familiar? seems to have worked for them too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom