Arkansas thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Arkansas thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
This was a rather unremarkable game. Arkansas isn't a very good team and should have been blown out, but Syracuse never managed to accomplish the task. While it was never a rout, you also never got the feeling that Arkansas was going to win. The real fun came from seeing how far Syracuse's players have come since their game against San Diego St.

Due to the circumstances of the San Diego St. game, I was less interested in how each player performed relative to that game, and more interested in the differences in how they were used. The playing time differences from Syracuse's first game against real competition to this one is probably the best indication of how things have been going in practice that we outsiders are going to get.

Cooney and Colman were the two players who earned more time. With Cooney's minutes going towards allowing Triche and Carter-Williams time to rest, and Coleman playing mostly at the expense of Christmas (Keita played about the same as he did against San Diego St and Southerland got a few more minutes at the expense of Grant). Arkansas did not play a particularly Coony or Coleman friendly style of basketball, yet they both earned more minutes, which to me is a good sign that they are progressing well in practice.

Cooney isn't shooting the ball well, obviously, but he is contributing with some ball handling and he helps space the offense. Boeheim is patient with offensive problems, he pulls players for screwing up defensively. Cooney has been solid on the defensive side of the ball, and that means he can play good minutes whether his shot is falling or not. He didn't get any steals today, but he got his hands on two or three passes. He's got quick hands and plays the passing lanes well which is important in the zone. My biggest concern with him is the fact that he takes too long to get around screens. I was not expecting Cooney to play much at all against Arkansas' pressure, but he logged decent minutes and didn't hurt Syracuse any by his presence despite not hitting any shots. That is a good sign. He is contributing without shooting well, eventually the shots will fall and Syracuse will have a rather complete player on their hands.

I have little doubt that Coleman will be a beast offensively by the end of the season. He has all the tools he needs, and I was really impressed with his ability to rebound the ball. I know he was a prolific rebounder in high school, but I had doubts that he was athletic enough to get the job done quit so effectively in college. He proved me wrong today with strength, aggressiveness, good hands, and a nasty attitude. The problem is on defense. Coleman let up two early lay-ups that quite frankly should never happen against the zone Syracuse plays, and immediately got benched (I assumed for the rest of the game). It turned out that after a long talk, Boeheim gave Coleman another chance, and Coleman rewarded that trust with a solid performance. Arkansas went small for most of the game, and Coleman was the only Syracuse player that made them pay for it. The defense is still a long way from where it needs to be but there is reason to be hopeful.

On the down side is Christmas, who I thought has looked great against the mid-majors. He didn't earn nearly as many minutes as he did against San Diego St. and was mostly invisible in the minutes he did earn. This is a situation worth monitoring as the season progresses. Right now it seems like a step backwards for Chrsitmas - at least from my perceived understanding of his readiness. I thought he should have done damage against the small team Arkansas fielded.

Mike Anderson, I noticed, took a page out of the Rick Pitino playbook by pressing and then falling back into a zone. This defense strikes me philosophically as the best possible one because most college players are either very skilled shooters who are not great athletically or great athletes who are not skilled shooters (those players who are both great shooters and great athletes usually end up in the NBA sooner rather than later). A press which falls back into a zone exploits both types of players weaknesses. The problem with this defense is that it is extremely nuanced and difficult to teach in the limited practice time that college teams have. Over the years this has lead to inconsistent play in Louisville's case. In Arkansas case (who is much less talented and doesen't have a coach that is heading to the hall of fame) it lead to a team that wasn't very good at either the press or the zone.

Syracuse scored 91 points which looks great on paper, but keep in mind that the tempo of the game was very fast and Syracuse got a good shot just about every time down the court. Given the circumstances, I'd say it was about as bad as a team can play offensively and still score 91 points. The shooting in particular was bad - apart from Southerland who played as close to a perfect game as we are likely to see any time soon. Syracuse as a team shot 41% without Southerland's one man show, and that was against a defense that was undersized and didn't put up much of a fight. That is just not good enough. Its not good enough around the basket, and not good enough from three by Triche, Cooney, and Carter-Williams, none of whom can buy a basket at the moment.

Lets keep in mind though that the season is young, and shooting tends to improve as the season progresses. Let's also keep in mind that shooting is usually bad in every team's first road game.

In general I thought Carter-William's played worse than his numbers indicate. He was not able to drive and dish like he could against the past few mid-majors. The good news is he figured this out by the end of the game and took over late driving and scoring himself. Carter-Williams is clearly a heady player. He seems to learn how to read defenses as the game goes on, and while some teams have given him problems, nobody has stopped him for an entire game. His shot from deep looks really ugly though.

There is no leadership void on this year's team. Triche is the leader. When things got close against Princeton, Boeheim went to Triche in the huddle. Triche responded by playing like a man possessed, getting two steals on two consecutive plays and really turning the tide in the game. When things got close against Arkansas (and Southerland was on the bench with foul trouble) Triche again took over the game on both sides of the court. He has not shot well from deep this year, but he's still scoring. That is huge. In previous year's Triche had many productive games. His problem was always that in those game where his shot was off, he hardly contributed anything offensively, too often putting up two or zero point games. This year Triche has found a way to score despite having off nights shooting, and that shows a lot of growth. One more interesting note, he played point quite a bit going down the stretch, with Carter-Williams off the ball. I think this is because Boeheim was anticipating Arkasas fouling and wanted Triche on the line.

Fair looked very uncomfortable handling the basketball against the guards who play forward for mid-majors. Back against a major conference opponent Fair looked comfortable with the ball in his hands again. Fair is not a star, but he is a great role player because when things get ugly he is at his best.

Arkansas benched its 6'10 center for most of the game and went small, with good results. They were able to spread the Syracuse zone out and let their shorter quicker players out maneuver our big guys inside. Its worrisome that they were able to score so effectively down low. That would not have happened against previous year's Syracuse teams. The 82 points they scored was partially a product of the fast tempo of the game, and partially a product of the refs calling tons of fouls and Arkansas shooting the lights out from the free throw line. Even so, allowing 82 points is unacceptable. If last year's Syracuse team had played this Arkansas team their score would not have gotten out of the 60's. There is clearly a lot of learning to be done on the defensive end of the ball and all the problem lies in the back three of the zone.

The last problem with the Syracuse defense was in transition. Syracuse really struggled with it. People often times think playing transition defense is only a matter of hustling back, but that is not the problem Syracuse is having. The problem Syracuse is having is knowing where to be when the offense attacks before they can set up their zone. This is often a problem when Syracuse has a young team, and I dont imagine it will be a quick fix. If you recall, the championship team in '03 was terrible defending transition all year, but managed to figure it out by March when they went on their run. One of the main reason's Keita played as much as he did was because he helped in transition. He is faster down court than Christmas or Coleman, but that is really not why he played. He played because he was able to instruct other players on where to be (and quick enough cover for their screw ups) where Chrsitmas and Coleman are still lost in the hectic world that is transition D. That will be fixed by March, but between then and now I hope Syracuse doesn't come across too many teams who exploit this weakness as well as Arkansas did.

Looks like Christmas was limping a bit today. Did he roll in the last game. I feel like he did. Maybe thats why he wasn't playing as well. In the first few minutes he was definitely limping around.

I felt like it was a road win where we made many many mistakes but also had some positives things happen. Stopping the ball in transition even when we got back was a huge issue which also lead to more fouls. Sure the refs sucked and anticipated many when guys were going to the hoop but we helped them by being out of position and letting players get a head of steam.

I agree with you on Cooney. I thought the defense was in the restricted area at the end of the game but JB pulled him for the decision in that situation. Other than that and one bad shot he played good defense and a decent floor game.

James has to remember that if he's open he's open against anyone because he's 6-8. He's going to be a big problem most teams which should really help Triche and MCW.

MCW is going to be great as the season progresses and he's seen and played against more defenses. If that jumper starts falling yikes.

Triche really was a few missed layups from an excellent offensive game. He had two bueatiful drives that he just didn't finish and that missed dunk. Still that one run with the steal and lay in plus the two deep threes was what seniors do when needed. I hope that its something he can do consostently this year.

I still think CJ presses when that mid range J doesn't fall for him. When he makes that he's a different player. He had a decent game though and will be better putting it on the floor against bigger competition as you pointed out.

I was impressed with Coleman when he got back in the game. He still needs to figure things out like when to go strong and when to use his vast aray of moves and releases. He is also about as lost in the middle as I remember a center being and with him not being a shot blocker it leads to easy layups when he gets ut of position as badley as he did to start the game. HE got about 5 boards in 12min. As he earns more time I expect him to become our best rebounder.

Baye is Baye a valuable backup who can play 25-30min if needed.

How pissed was JB at Rak? Well late in the game he went to DC2 at the four rather than Rak when both James and CJ were in foul trouble. I thought this would be a game were Rak would play a lot at the 5 because of his shot blocking and Arkansas' style of pushing the ball. I also thought that against there press he could get a handful of easy ones from our guards. That didn't happen but it was more the style of press they playes 3/4 drop back. Either way I'm more interested to see how Rak comes back from this.

This was a rather unremarkable game. Arkansas isn't a very good team and should have been blown out, but Syracuse never managed to accomplish the task.

Yes indeed. But for the Southerland barrage, it would have been a tight game against a #235 ranked team (RPI rating). Not good.

A win on the road against an SEC team in the fifth game of the season is a good thing!!! JB will use this game to help the kids get better and we'll be fine come the start of our last BE season!!!

In general I thought Carter-William's played worse than his numbers indicate. He was not able to drive and dish like he could against the past few mid-majors. The good news is he figured this out by the end of the game and took over late driving and scoring himself. Carter-Williams is clearly a heady player. He seems to learn how to read defenses as the game goes on, and while some teams have given him problems, nobody has stopped him for an entire game. His shot from deep looks really ugly though.

There is no leadership void on this year's team. Triche is the leader. When things got close against Princeton, Boeheim went to Triche in the huddle. Triche responded by playing like a man possessed, getting two steals on two consecutive plays and really turning the tide in the game. When things got close against Arkansas (and Southerland was on the bench with foul trouble) Triche again took over the game on both sides of the court. He has not shot well from deep this year, but he's still scoring. That is huge. In previous year's Triche had many productive games. His problem was always that in those game where his shot was off, he hardly contributed anything offensively, too often putting up two or zero point games. This year Triche has found a way to score despite having off nights shooting, and that shows a lot of growth. One more interesting note, he played point quite a bit going down the stretch, with Carter-Williams off the ball. I think this is because Boeheim was anticipating Arkasas fouling and wanted Triche on the line.

I thought it was interesting that JB put the ball into Triche's hands in the second half. MCW had been playing a bit too fast (I think Dykes called it a track meet) and was rushing things and not looking to run the offense, and JB had enough of that and made Triche bring the ball up and get the offense going. And that was what got the offense back on track in my opinion.

DC2 is Arinze out there defensively - just takes up space but not much else. It's a problem.

I have little doubt that Coleman will be a beast offensively by the end of the season. He has all the tools he needs, and I was really impressed with his ability to rebound the ball. I know he was a prolific rebounder in high school, but I had doubts that he was athletic enough to get the job done quit so effectively in college. He proved me wrong today with strength, aggressiveness, good hands, and a nasty attitude. The problem is on defense. Coleman let up two early lay-ups that quite frankly should never happen against the zone Syracuse plays, and immediately got benched (I assumed for the rest of the game). It turned out that after a long talk, Boeheim gave Coleman another chance, and Coleman rewarded that trust with a solid performance. Arkansas went small for most of the game, and Coleman was the only Syracuse player that made them pay for it. The defense is still a long way from where it needs to be but there is reason to be hopeful.

Thanks, as always.

This is interesting. What do you think about Coleman's shooting technique - specifically, his low release point?

Everyone on here says that Coleman will be fine; everything is in place; he just needs the ball to start dropping. I'm inclined to think he's going to be quite limited on offense until he changes his form. He'll have success with jumpers and jump hooks when he's in space, but he'll struggle to score in traffic and from the low post as he has difficulty keeping the ball from being blocked. What say you?

DC2 is Arinze out there defensively - just takes up space but not much else. It's a problem.

Really? AO was good at blocking off the lane by standing tall and making (especially smaller players) players shoot over him while allowing the weak side shot blockers to help. He played good position defense as a JR and SR although he wasn't a shot blocker. DC2 is way out of position and not stopping the ball and blocking off the basket. That is what his issue is on defense right now IMO.

Looks like Christmas was limping a bit today. Did he roll in the last game. I feel like he did. Maybe thats why he wasn't playing as well. In the first few minutes he was definitely limping around.

I think he banged his knee in the second half against Colgate

Thanks, as always.

This is interesting. What do you think about Coleman's shooting technique - specifically, his low release point?

Everyone on here says that Coleman will be fine; everything is in place; he just needs the ball to start dropping. I'm inclined to think he's going to be quite limited on offense until he changes his form. He'll have success with jumpers and jump hooks when he's in space, but he'll struggle to score in traffic and from the low post as he has difficulty keeping the ball from being blocked. What say you?
Coleman is getting pushes to the body when he shoots, which changes the trajectory of his shot. He needs to slam dunk it.

I think he banged his knee in the second half against Colgate

I think he landed funny on his ankle, not a real twist or he wouldn't have played but its probably bothering him.

Thanks, as always.

I think Coleman will be fine. He's not the type who will go over the top of defenders, he is the type who will go through. The best thing for him is to initiate contact. Right now he's trying to avoid it. He can hit mid-range jumpers and I think he will be a decent free throw shooter by the end of the year. He should be a guy who gets opposing centers into regular foul trouble.

The worst offensive possession he had in my opinion was were he got the ball down low and tried to go under the basket, missing badly. He should have gone straight up and earned the foul.

I think Coleman will be fine. He's not the type who will go over the top of defenders, he is the type who will go through. The best thing for him is to initiate contact. Right now he's trying to avoid it. He can hit mid-range jumpers and I think he will be a decent free throw shooter by the end of the year. He should be a guy who gets opposing centers into regular foul trouble.

The worst offensive possession he had in my opinion was were he got the ball down low and tried to go under the basket, missing badly. He should have gone straight up and earned the foul.

Hope the free-throw shooting gets back to what he's capable of. He came in as an automatic free-throw shooter. Lately, not so much.

I'll look forward to his progression, it's terrific that Boeheim is getting him minutes.

Like JB said in the presser I was disappointed in the turnovers in the halfcourt. Lots of careless passing. Arkansas was very active with their hands though.

This was a rather unremarkable game.

Good analysis. I thought the general takeaway was tough b/c it's such a unique style and I really thought Arkansas did essentially nothing to stop us. Yes, active hands, but generally horrific defense, which means it's hard to learn much. Also, JS isn't going to hit 9 threes every game, so this one feels like a bit of an outlier.

That said, a few thoughts:

-- Need Cooney to come along or Dirty/Fair to handle a few minutes at the 2 in a game like this b/c I thought our defense suffered from some fatigue. Thought MCW in particular was standing with his hands down and not moving much at all in the 2nd half defensively.

-- Speaking of Cooney, he's an interesting player. I like him though he's not shooting well. He kind of reminds me of a defensive player somewhere in between rautins and Gmac. Quick hands, good at anticipating passes like GMac but a little bigger and able to cover a bit more ground. Has a bit of Rautins in him, but he's not at that level and I wouldn't expect him to be that consistently disruptive defensively. More like a rich man's GMac defensively.

-- Thought the fact that Coleman was able to log 12 minutes in a game at that pace was a good sign. He had a horrendous first minute but seemed to rebound nicely.

-- I still struggle with what I think of Triche and what his ceiling is. The 10-point run was truly great basketball. He ha d a couple nice drives and finishes, but then a couple he didn't finish. My thought is that that isn't an exception. I think he's a kid that will consistently have a bit of trouble finishing b/c he's not terribly explosive. And he got a beautiful feed and wide open look at a 3 from the wing and missed the rim and backboard. that's odd for a guy who's a solid shooter generally. Anyway, regardless, he's a really good player but I still feel like he's a bit streaky (within games and over stretches ... like the 22% 3-point shooting so far).

-- Rough game for Xmas but maybe not ideal since he's bulked up and that was at a torrid pace.

Yes indeed. But for the Southerland barrage, it would have been a tight game against a #235 ranked team (RPI rating). Not good.
If Southerland wasn't on fire, the gameplan would have changed... give JB some credit.

It was a win on the road in November, we beat the spread, and they had some absurd home winning-streak that we just broke. Really not anything to gripe about.

1. not worried at all about Cooney - kid is a scrapper; I like what I see so far. He might not (yet) be the lights-out shooter he was billed as, but he does a lot of dirty work - he is a young Mike Hopkins. The mistakes he makes are common for a freshman, even a RS freshman. He'll be fine.

2. likewise with Coleman. He is the key to our season - right now, the team is entirely perimeter oriented and it needs a plausible low post threat if it is going to be a true FF contender. I think that JB is purposely developing DC2 to be a true offensive weapon by late February. Even in his limited minutes, when he is in the game, he is the focus of the offense. Outside of Triche & MCW, he has the highest usage rate on the team.

3. not worried about Rak. One bad game doesn't change what he has done & is building towards. I disagree with General here - Arkansas was a bad matchup for Rak. the Razorbacks play small & quick. The best possible defensive lineup vs. the Arkansas attack was Baye/CJ/Dirty, and that alone was going to limit his minutes and ability to find a rhythm.

1. not worried at all about Cooney - kid is a scrapper; I like what I see so far. He might not (yet) be the lights-out shooter he was billed as, but he does a lot of dirty work - he is a young Mike Hopkins. The mistakes he makes are common for a freshman, even a RS freshman. He'll be fine.

2. likewise with Coleman. He is the key to our season - right now, the team is entirely perimeter oriented and it needs a plausible low post threat if it is going to be a true FF contender. I think that JB is purposely developing DC2 to be a true offensive weapon by late February. Even in his limited minutes, when he is in the game, he is the focus of the offense. Outside of Triche & MCW, he has the highest usage rate on the team.

3. not worried about Rak. One bad game doesn't change what he has done & is building towards. I disagree with General here - Arkansas was a bad matchup for Rak. the Razorbacks play small & quick. The best possible defensive lineup vs. the Arkansas attack was Baye/CJ/Dirty, and that alone was going to limit his minutes and ability to find a rhythm.

1) Cooney is bringing the same value to the team that I thought.

I thought he'd bring some open threes to spread the off but not be an asset on def (since he's a frosh and I didn't anticipate his anticipation/quickness). However, what he's bringing is a great presence on def. Not many frosh guards understand the zone as fast he's learned it which tells me he's smart as heck. Hopefully the shots will come. Often, shooting is mental and it takes a while to be comfortable. Andy, Dnich, James, etc...all were more comfortable with age. I expect the same with TC and when the light goes on, he'll be fantastic.

2)DC. I love DC's game. You cannot teach soft passes, hands, and positioning for a shot that he has from day 1.

My only concern is he is playing smaller by attacking the rim at angles from below/low, not going up high. By doing that, he's inviting anyone 6"6" and up to impact his shot. I'm curious if that is something the coaches are working on now, if it's something that fixable within a short period of time, etc...

3)Rak's problem is CJ, James, Baye, DC, etc. If he was here during the lean years, like Hak's frosh year, he would've been forced to play more and grow faster. Fortunately, we have the luxury of pulling him and bringing in a guy that can go for 35.

You make some really good comments about Coleman, which I agree with.

As for Christmas, you are right it was better to have Keita in to stop their transition offense, but Christmas should have been a dominant defensive force in the half court and he wasn't. Arkansas didnt do much from three, the vast majority of their offense came from attacking the basket with undersized players. I expected Christmas to look just as good blocking shots against Arkansas as he did against Wagner, Princeton, and Colgate. He wasn't as good as I expected he would be. I'm far from ready to give up on the guy, but it did give me pause.

You make some really good comments about Coleman, which I agree with.

As for Christmas, you are right it was better to have Keita in to stop their transition offense, but Christmas should have been a dominant defensive force in the half court and he wasn't. Arkansas didnt do much from three, the vast majority of their offense came from attacking the basket with undersized players. I expected Christmas to look just as good blocking shots against Arkansas as he did against Wagner, Princeton, and Colgate. He wasn't as good as I expected he would be. I'm far from ready to give up on the guy, but it did give me pause.

Rak tweaked his ankle vs Colgate I think it is still bothering him.

Cooney and Colman were the two players who earned more time. With Cooney's minutes going towards allowing Triche and Carter-Williams time to rest, and Coleman playing mostly at the expense of Christmas (Keita played about the same as he did against San Diego St and Southerland got a few more minutes at the expense of Grant). Arkansas did not play a particularly Coony or Coleman friendly style of basketball, yet they both earned more minutes, which to me is a good sign that they are progressing well in practice.

I have to comment on this...

we've played 2 real games. and neither have been a cooney or coleman friendly game. Is that really a coincidence? or are we just making excuses for them now?

Maybe the get better, but I have never once heard someone say this wasnt a gmac or johnny flynn friendly game... ive heard it twice now with 2 of the new guys in 2 games.

C'mon... stop making excuses. They have played bad in the 2 games. Its nothing more, nothing less.

I have to comment on this...

we've played 2 real games. and neither have been a cooney or coleman friendly game. Is that really a coincidence? or are we just making excuses for them now?

Maybe the get better, but I have never once heard someone say this wasnt a gmac or johnny flynn friendly game... ive heard it twice now with 2 of the new guys in 2 games.

C'mon... stop making excuses. They have played bad in the 2 games. Its nothing more, nothing less.

Im not one to make excuses for guys I think are playing poorly, but its stupid not to take the situations under consideration as well as the raw numbers.

Remember Onuaku in out of conference games? He hated playing against smaller quicker teams that pushed the ball up the court, and I'd say Coleman is as close physically to Onuaku as any of his Syracuse predictors. Onuaku always picked his game up for Big East play and I expect Coleman to do the same. If he doesn't I wont make any excuses for him.

As for Cooney, he played his first game outside where you could not shoot, and understandably didn't play much. I didn't expect him to play much against Arkansas either because of how often they press, but he did, and he did a fine job handling the press. I was expecting Boeheim to ride Triche and Carter-Williams in every game Syracuse got pressed this year, and it doesn't look like he will have to. That is an unexpected plus in my book.

Rak tweaked his ankle vs Colgate I think it is still bothering him.

That would definitely explain his performance and the playing time he got, if true. I will keep a closer eye on him tonight and specifically look for any signs of being less than one hundred percent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom