Army Game... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game...

After just now finishing the game, a few thoughts:

-Good win, always good for the team to pick up tough gritty wins.
-Porter played out of his mind. He is very good but we cannot expect that every game.
-Phaup is much better than people give him credit for. I feel like he kind of his that wrestler stigma attached to him at the X. Always hear his described as a "grinder and physical guy" but today he was just flat out winning faceoffs easily.
-Rehfuss needs to put up or shut up. Can't have that kind of game from him. Hudgins, the local product from Genny dominated him. Seebold has finally looked pretty good in his playing time this year, 6-foot-2 with that dodging ability might be worth more minutes...
-Quinn was also really bad. Held onto the ball far too often and made quite a few turnovers. I'd like to see Magnan get some run with the 2's occasionally.

After just now finishing the game, a few thoughts:
-Good win,
I agree with almost all of your points, except I’m not sure how good of a win that was. I hear you that a win is a win, and it’s reassuring to know that our 1st line middies are really good (although what is up with Tordevic’s shot?), Phaup can be dominant, our D is solid, and Porter is a stud, BUT I think our hype of this is a national championship team actually slowed down (regardless of what our ranking is right now), our hopes of having a dominant #22 again really dimmed, and having a realization of how inept our attack could be again in the playoffs against a top D unit made for a kind of a demoralizing win, if there can be such a thing.

Great to see Dami out there again though! So much potential in him. Was it really necessary for the announcer to have to say that he was academically ineligible... no less twice?!

Meanwhile the Princeton vs Virginia game was great, in case you want to watch the replay (Probably just a coincidence that our offense looked so bad against a good D, while the offense of the team that our new offensive coordinator came from looked so great? I know that Sowers has a Lot to do with that though). Sowers is the closest thing to Mike Powell that I’ve ever seen. That was such a more entertaining game then the SU game.

Last edited:
Rewatched game a second time. Imperfect performance but several positives . A comeback win agaisnt a tough opponent when others are getting upset can only boost.

Army dominating Rutgers and UMass by combined 32-8 score was no fluke , they are good team. They dominated ball in 1q when Porter made half of his saves .Cuse played into Army's d strength in 1h as they held and didn't move ball, dropped catchable passes and took several shots from bad angles. Ref calls also didn't help in 1h.

Trimboli goal before halftime was huge. He was tremendous all game, he's supposedly not the dodger that others are but he's the one who best get into seams and the most accurate. Every shot he takes is now a good shot with good placement.

Hard to win a game when attack pointless but Cuse did. Cook played well despite, he just missed a few. Scanlan at times looked disinterested but maybe part of game plan was for him to simply pull a defender out to allow driving lanes as he keep looking over to sidelines for positioning .Missed locating him when open in 2h but he didn't force or pout. Refhuss put effort into rides but struggled. Good player but as anyone can have off days depending on matchup. Seebold has looked good in practices and short stints, earned getting run whenever any attackman struggling. Also might experiment some with Dordevic at x because need options when we stagnate. Inverting Dord and Curry paid late dividends. Surprised not employed earlier given Marist success. Curry made some good interior passes . Lipka had a quietly good game. Need to get Buttermore going.

Porter made some highlight saves near crease and just as importantly didn't give up rebounds. Phaup was dominant, he's gonna improve further and eventually take some wins to hole.

Army offense is very good this year and holding them to just seven is a positive. Porter obviously big but team D in 6x6 shouldn't be overlooked. It's jelling .Backline movements were coordinated amongst and with defenders up top who played well. Backline hedged, helped and recovered well . One score agaisnt came in unsettled transition , one goal by Silva a difficult catch and release in traffic. One backdoor score and one open at crease saved by Porter but really little ball watching . Good off ball awareness. Noted that Nictern got off just two shots with Kennedy on ball, one the topside goal and the other a misfire off a screen which Dami switched on well . Dodges defended well and screens gave us few problems other than one double that was reversed for score. Dami played very well in his return, showed speed, strength and a hard shot though he missed a wide open Cook. Gonna be a two way asset and allow Helmer to keep pole. Man down still needs work, two man up goals not one as listed in boxscore. TV missed call of 2h penalty on Cook's stick where lefty mid scored. Clearing was very good again but little push upfield as Army made it a point to get back rather than pressure.

In 4q Cuse showed how good they can be. Should be in top four this week.

A couple things I liked from the IL game article:

At halftime, Syracuse coaches stressed not to shoot early in possessions. With Schupler dropping low on so many shots, Syracuse needed to aim high. And If Army wanted to press its defenders on Syracuse’s offense, they must be forced to leave the middle of the defense open.

Rather than opting for one-man-in-the crease offenses, Syracuse switched to open sets, which with limited slides, created isolation situations for the Orange midfielders. On other possessions, Syracuse jammed two men in the crease and capitalized on Army hedges like on Trimboli’s first goal of the second half.

Yes, Virginia (pardon the pun), Syracuse DOES make halftime adjustments. ;)

It wasn’t that Syracuse’s offense couldn’t score on Army. It just needed to find new ways. That task fell on Syracuse offensive coordinator Pat March. The first-year coach passed, and so did Syracuse in its first true test of 2020.

“Coach March is kind of a wizard,” Curry said. “So he was drawing up everything, making adjustments at every quarter, every huddle. So we benefited from that.”

I think we may have made a good hire with March. :)

Seems an odd opening sentence - "You can bash #Syracuse fans all you want...". Who's bashing Syracuse fans?

I don't get it.
1582556258856.gif

Also noted that Phaup took every face-off which is somewhat unusual.

Able to do so since relatively low scoring game resulted in only 19 faceoffs. Colgate game by comparison had 39 faceoffs. Long season , other fogos will be employed to maintain Phaup freshness and effectiveness

Face-off advantage somewhat minimized by O struggles and low count but his wins in 4q after each Cuse score had to tire Army defense.

Also noted that Phaup took every face-off which is somewhat unusual.

Able to do so since relatively low scoring game resulted in only 19 faceoffs. Colgate game by comparison had 39 faceoffs. Long season , other fogos will be employed to maintain Phaup freshness and effectiveness

Face-off advantage somewhat minimized by O struggles and low count but his wins in 4q after each Cuse score had to tire Army defense.
In a close game or when trailing, the Orange have to stick with Phaup as he has really separated himself from the others performance wise. Also, not all face offs are physically grueling. If Phaup is winning them easy, then it's not as taxing.

Lots of ways to interpret the game against Army, though most important remember to be grateful it was a win against a hard competing opponent. This is a strange one though, Army looked invincible against two pretty decent teams in UMass and Rutgers, but then demolished by Marist. If they hadn't played Marist I would feel very encouraged about the result, regardless of our offensive troubles. But that Marist result is really hard to come to terms with. Oh well, time to focus on Hobart.

Fascinating stretch of games coming up, before ACC play kicks off. Hobart looks dangerous while Rutgers and Hopkins both to be really struggling early in the season. Given what is coming up later in the year (ND and Cornell are looking a lot better than what people were predicting), its really important to take care of business with these three games, and not to get complacent.

I'm glad that March and co figured things out in the second half, but that can't be a reoccurring issue. I'm glad SU was able to play with flexibility, but can't abandon the attack unit in big games (or expect the unit to just be a "distraction" for the defense). And while we might be quick to call for certain players benching (I know I got particularly frustrated with Quinn and Rhefuss), those players have had big games earlier in the year. Have to keep working and put players in positions to make a difference. Again, I wish they had been a bit more creative with Scanlan, he's too good a talent to take a back seat.

Hust mentions at 4:45 that Mellen has a hamstring injury.

Also, I would like to see Seebold get more playing time, and Magnan and Kim get more runs with the second line.

Last edited:
watched the replay today. army ride was tough. a lotta dumb TO's. but the drake was stone fence.

'm hearing the same audio problems
i thought i was getting an audio cross feed from some FM station in mayberry then i learned that wasn't howard sprague i was listening to it was ryan powell. happy bday ryan !

Lots of ways to interpret the game against Army, though most important remember to be grateful it was a win against a hard competing opponent. This is a strange one though, Army looked invincible against two pretty decent teams in UMass and Rutgers, but then demolished by Marist. If they hadn't played Marist I would feel very encouraged about the result, regardless of our offensive troubles. But that Marist result is really hard to come to terms with. Oh well, time to focus on Hobart.

Fascinating stretch of games coming up, before ACC play kicks off. Hobart looks dangerous while Rutgers and Hopkins both to be really struggling early in the season. Given what is coming up later in the year (ND and Cornell are looking a lot better than what people were predicting), its really important to take care of business with these three games, and not to get complacent.

I'm glad that March and co figured things out in the second half, but that can't be a reoccurring issue. I'm glad SU was able to play with flexibility, but can't abandon the attack unit in big games (or expect the unit to just be a "distraction" for the defense). And while we might be quick to call for certain players benching (I know I got particularly frustrated with Quinn and Rhefuss), those players have had big games earlier in the year. Have to keep working and put players in positions to make a difference. Again, I wish they had been a bit more creative with Scanlan, he's too good a talent to take a back seat.
a few comments: Aviles looked like a veteran. Played whole game without losing contact with his man but for one occasion in the second half. Clears, defends and hits like he knows what he's doing. 2. If 22 was not a decoy, he played like one. Never tested his long pole. Trotted on

a few comments: 1. Aviles played like a veteran, covered very well but for one instance in the second half, cleared well and hit. A recruit way under the radar. 2. Scanlan either was a decoy or played like one. Trotted on rides, looked narcoleptic at times. 3. Helmer has grown into one of the better LSMs in the country. 4. I could not figure out the strategy in the first half. Whole offense looked timid. Middies took one move and backed off. I watched the Marist game. Invert, invert, invert. Army was too stubborn for its own good. Never backed off the idea that shorties could cover from x. Why the hell didn't the orange start that immediately. Even when the middies proved they could break down the ssdms, Army stuck with the no slide tactics. Trimboli showed immediately how to handle Army. Move, curl back, move, curl back, move again and score. Army pays too much attention to the macho pub it receives. Sticks too long with the wrong strategy. 5. Phaup channels Ben Williams. Worth his weight in...

6. For me, SU's strength comes from its competent ssdms and goalie. They are the core of the team like the lower abdomen is the core of the human body. All three Dami, Dearth, Aviles played the whole field well. 7. Ryan Powell was right. The first middies line is murder. They figure out the defense and become more effective with time on the field. I think they could have beaten Army by six or seven goals if they were relentlessly attacking from x at the start of the game. 8. For a relatively unfamiliar close defense group, it coordinated and communicated effectively throughout. Well done.

a few comments: Aviles looked like a veteran. Played whole game without losing contact with his man but for one occasion in the second half. Clears, defends and hits like he knows what he's doing. 2. If 22 was not a decoy, he played like one. Never tested his long pole. Trotted on

a few comments: 1. Aviles played like a veteran, covered very well but for one instance in the second half, cleared well and hit. A recruit way under the radar. 2. Scanlan either was a decoy or played like one. Trotted on rides, looked narcoleptic at times. 3. Helmer has grown into one of the better LSMs in the country. 4. I could not figure out the strategy in the first half. Whole offense looked timid. Middies took one move and backed off. I watched the Marist game. Invert, invert, invert. Army was too stubborn for its own good. Never backed off the idea that shorties could cover from x. Why the hell didn't the orange start that immediately. Even when the middies proved they could break down the ssdms, Army stuck with the no slide tactics. Trimboli showed immediately how to handle Army. Move, curl back, move, curl back, move again and score. Army pays too much attention to the macho pub it receives. Sticks too long with the wrong strategy. 5. Phaup channels Ben Williams. Worth his weight in...

6. For me, SU's strength comes from its competent ssdms and goalie. They are the core of the team like the lower abdomen is the core of the human body. All three Dami, Dearth, Aviles played the whole field well. 7. Ryan Powell was right. The first middies line is murder. They figure out the defense and become more effective with time on the field. I think they could have beaten Army by six or seven goals if they were relentlessly attacking from x at the start of the game. 8. For a relatively unfamiliar close defense group, it coordinated and communicated effectively throughout. Well done.

Great post . Man alive a hot fogo and goalie change a game. After Colgate rang the bell 14 times, I thought we would need Mellen to play and score at least 13 to win. If you had told me the O/U on the Army offense would be 7 w/o Mellen then I would have lost the house. Hope for a better start against the 'Bart.

Two questions . When inverting is used, should it be limited to a select few mids? Should Buttermore be in for an attackman if they are going to be high and wide?

Two questions . When inverting is used, should it be limited to a select few mids? Should Buttermore be in for an attackman if they are going to be high and wide?

Definitely think we need to get Buttermore some run with the 1st line guys, we need to get him on track. We also have to dial back Quinn a bit. I like him being aggressive but he's not Sowers out there.

Your comments call for some challenge. Calling out Scanlan at attack given the lack of productivity across the board and Helmer as one of the best LSMs - curious...maybe you saw 48 not 88

Should we be concerned about the lack of production of Chase Scanlon? Fair or not I don't recall many games where a 22 didn't get a point in a game?

Should we be concerned about the lack of production of Chase Scanlon? Fair or not I don't recall many games where a 22 didn't get a point in a game?
Concerned not alarmed. Third game and a W. Trust the decision makers who awarded the 22 as well as the team to make the adjustments. That's whats fair.

Watching the replay now — holy crap, 90’s goal in the second quarter for Army was unreal. Low to high over Porter’s head and under the bar.

You guys make 22 hero to zero pretty fast. If you know anything about the game you could see the game plan from the start was for the middie unit who got the shorty to dodge. First half they couldn't beat there man and when they did shots where off. March's adjustment where take the middie shorty lower and then dodge that worked enough to win game. 50 shot su had less then half on cage. Attack unit shot maybe 6 time or less. Wasn't pretty but they got the W. Friday attack unit goes off and there hero's again. Seams like some of you just cant be happy with a win. It's a team game and that's was a team win. I tip my hat to the d and goalie. Defense wins championships

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom