Army Game... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game...

We started to play better after you changed seats. :D

My bad. I thought the two guys in front of me were the same two guys from the 1st half. I didn't realize they were different guys.

I no have authority, but if this type of game happens again, you may want to help the "two guys" move on a bit earlier. Just sayin...

On the bright side, at least we are not stuck in one-point victory land like the last few seasons.

f3d0112d2b08ce09da097f2c24417216.jpg

Great win. Friday fireworks coming up (Take the over). And then the main course

Very interested to see if Mellen plays on Friday, he has been a nightmare for Hobart. I am hoping he can go. SU should have a major advantage at the X on Friday and Hobart is committing a ton of penalties on the year against subpar competition. That said that Hobart offense is legit and well balanced. Madonna hurt us last year until we went to the pole. I expect Fernandez on him and Dearth on archer who is running at midfield as essentially a 4th attackmen. Hobarts ssdm are going to be hard pressed to slow down our middies. They may try and double pole but not sure they have the personnel. Attack unit needs a big bounce back.

My bad. I thought the two guys in front of me were the same two guys from the 1st half. I didn't realize they were different guys.
I no have authority, but if this type of game happens again, you may want to help the "two guys" move on a bit earlier. Just sayin...

On the bright side, at least we are not stuck in one-point victory land like the last few seasons.
Alright. Whaaaaat happened?

I already did based on the schedule, not going to panic from 1 bad half but the attack unit was my biggest concern and my fears were realized. SU still doesn't have that upper echelon attack that we normally have. Zawada on this team or Wisnauskas and it's a totally different team. Rehfuss is a spark plug guy who goes MIA when asked to be a 1 or 2.

Zawada has 17 points (9-8) for Michigan already this year. Of course, their opposition hasn't been the greatest (Cleveland State, Hofstra, Canisus and Merrimack).

Zawada has 17 points (9-8) for Michigan already this year. Of course, their opposition hasn't been the greatest (Cleveland State, Hofstra, Canisus and Merrimack).

He has looked very good so far. Wish he had made it here would add a dynamic attackmen. That said help is on the way and Cook should continue to grow. Still hard not to think of what if.

Kind of surprised it took them a whole half to figure this out, it was kind of obvious and I feel like Army does this every year.

I am also a bit surprised Army chose to short stick and not slide to Dordevic and Curry - Tucker is struggling a bit so far this year but Curry is definitely in the top three of offensive weapons the Orange have. Wonder if Army's strategy would have worked better if they had shorted Cook and not slid? Also wonder why Desko and co didn't try something more creative, maybe moving Scanlan to midfield? They didn't try it often but when they did try and pick for Scanlan Army would not switch. Having him come out of the box may have thrown the Black Knights off a bit.

Kind of a fascinating game in the sense that it doesn't appear either side made any big adjustments and just tried to outplay one-another, like two rams smashing into one-another. Glad SU came out on top.

Defense on the whole played well, obviously Porter was the star. Kennedy had some rough moments but on the whole he played well, especially in the second half. Not sure if Army wore down, but Nichtern had a bad turnover late in the game when the ball seemed to fall out of the back of his stick (I think he was surprised to be as open has he was). Aviles had a bad moment and let up an easy Army goal late in the game, and the rest of the shorties had some bad turnovers (Dearth and Barlow), but on the whole they played well. Army likes to settle in and play 6v6 which I think the Orange does well. When things are unsettled and they don't know their markings, they seem to struggle the most. Obviously can't expect 18 save performances every game, but it's still good to know we can get them. Also I thought DiePetro looked good, FWIW.

Offensively, I could write for a very long time - I think a lot of it comes down to making smart decisions and shooting the ball better. A number of times I think Orange players over-trusted their shot making ability and took shots from bad angles. Quinn was especially frustrating today with a number of turnovers and one shot where he almost looked to be horizontal with the goal. He showed a lot of promise in the first two games, but reminded us today of why he can be so frustrating. Dordevic and Curry were beating their man pretty consistently but just couldn't get a lot of their shots on cage. Dordevic a number of times looked surprised that he had actually beat his man, and took too long to wind up and shoot, which led him to telegraph or work himself into a bad angle.

And probably goes without saying, but the attack, whether they are shut off or not, simply has to play better - the Army long poles looked impressive but the Orange attack could have done better. I worry the Orange will run into a Towson 2017 team when the SSDM's can handle our midfielders. Wonder if Seebold might start to see a little more time.

And lastly, I was really impressed with Phaup today, not only did he win the clamp cleanly, he made a number of really good "exit" moves to win the draw to himself and made good decisions afterwards. Have read a number of good Phaup articles this season and it really sounds like he worked extra hard this offseason. I know Army isn't the sternest test but he really dominated today.

I didn’t want to take credit, but my thoughts exactly. Total rally cap move. 4th quarter just outside of the club in the reserved seats.

I didn’t want to take credit, but my thoughts exactly. Total rally cap move. 4th quarter just outside of the club in the reserved seats.
It worked, we'll take it.

looking forward to a replay. great win.

Unfortunately life got in the way of watching the game live streaming this afternoon. Is there a replay being aired anywhere? I'd love to be able to watch the game if available.

my cable options are limited but recent games have been rebroadcast on YOUTUBE and usually a link is posted right here. once again great win.

Unfortunately life got in the way of watching the game live streaming this afternoon. Is there a replay being aired anywhere? I'd love to be able to watch the game if available.

Links to the replays are always posted with the other articles in the postgame articles thread above. Assuming that your cable operator lets you watch.

"japa21091994" on youtube has done a pretty good job at uploading all of the big games this year. Im assuming 'Cuse vs Army game will be up shortly.

Inside near pipe from Lipka.

Nice placement as the Army keeper flinched
Lipka, Dordevic and Curry all scored on inverts. Marist was scoring at will on Army with inverts, so I'm surprised SU didn't do it more often.

Kind of surprised it took them a whole half to figure this out, it was kind of obvious and I feel like Army does this every year.

I am also a bit surprised Army chose to short stick and not slide to Dordevic and Curry - Tucker is struggling a bit so far this year but Curry is definitely in the top three of offensive weapons the Orange have. Wonder if Army's strategy would have worked better if they had shorted Cook and not slid? Also wonder why Desko and co didn't try something more creative, maybe moving Scanlan to midfield? They didn't try it often but when they did try and pick for Scanlan Army would not switch. Having him come out of the box may have thrown the Black Knights off a bit.

Kind of a fascinating game in the sense that it doesn't appear either side made any big adjustments and just tried to outplay one-another, like two rams smashing into one-another. Glad SU came out on top.

Defense on the whole played well, obviously Porter was the star. Kennedy had some rough moments but on the whole he played well, especially in the second half. Not sure if Army wore down, but Nichtern had a bad turnover late in the game when the ball seemed to fall out of the back of his stick (I think he was surprised to be as open has he was). Aviles had a bad moment and let up an easy Army goal late in the game, and the rest of the shorties had some bad turnovers (Dearth and Barlow), but on the whole they played well. Army likes to settle in and play 6v6 which I think the Orange does well. When things are unsettled and they don't know their markings, they seem to struggle the most. Obviously can't expect 18 save performances every game, but it's still good to know we can get them. Also I thought DiePetro looked good, FWIW.

Offensively, I could write for a very long time - I think a lot of it comes down to making smart decisions and shooting the ball better. A number of times I think Orange players over-trusted their shot making ability and took shots from bad angles. Quinn was especially frustrating today with a number of turnovers and one shot where he almost looked to be horizontal with the goal. He showed a lot of promise in the first two games, but reminded us today of why he can be so frustrating. Dordevic and Curry were beating their man pretty consistently but just couldn't get a lot of their shots on cage. Dordevic a number of times looked surprised that he had actually beat his man, and took too long to wind up and shoot, which led him to telegraph or work himself into a bad angle.

And probably goes without saying, but the attack, whether they are shut off or not, simply has to play better - the Army long poles looked impressive but the Orange attack could have done better. I worry the Orange will run into a Towson 2017 team when the SSDM's can handle our midfielders. Wonder if Seebold might start to see a little more time.

And lastly, I was really impressed with Phaup today, not only did he win the clamp cleanly, he made a number of really good "exit" moves to win the draw to himself and made good decisions afterwards. Have read a number of good Phaup articles this season and it really sounds like he worked extra hard this offseason. I know Army isn't the sternest test but he really dominated today.

Great points and totally spot on.

Lipka, Dordevic and Curry all scored on inverts. Marist was scoring at will on Army with inverts, so I'm surprised SU didn't do it more often.

Especially since we were debating it on Tuesday during the army game. This staff does have a history of trying to play "our" game first before adjusting to what maybe an opponent weakness. Its not the first time the fanbase has been screaming to change something up that the staff took their time to adjust to. Good news is we made the changes just surprised as Powellfan noted that it took that long

I think it is unwise to make any big picture judgements on the attack today. In the second half the middies were just making things happen consistently off the dodge so we just kept going with what was working. It wasn't like the three attack were dodging constantly and still nothing was happening. They were barely asked to initiate at all in the second half. Cook and Rehfuss both had some solid moves off of the dodge early on and were getting the defense moving a bit. Rehfuss would have had an assist to Trimboli but he made a slight extra offensive move. Scanlan would have had an easy goal on a pass from Dordevic but he somehow didn't handle it. Cook was robbed a handful of times off ball too and just around the goal in general. Thought he could have easily scored two or three times both off ball and off the dodge. I think both Rehfuss and Cook have the potential to beat their man and you notice that Army never even remotely considered double polling the midfield despite their consistent results. That right there shows the respect they had for our attack's dodging.

1st line midfield decided to play like 3 1st and 2 team AAs. When those guys turn it on were gonna be a nightmare to beat
It’s all about teamwork. If they all buy in then they will all shine. If they all look to be “the man” on every possession then things will fail...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom