Army Gameday... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Army Gameday...

I don’t understand why Cuse got away from that 2-3-1 (counting from mid) with Hiltz rotating into a 1-4-1 by clearing to the crease which then frees up Spallina to feed from X without the adj pressure from the pass. They seemed to have solely gone into initiating from the 1-4-1 without the set shift and aren’t seeing the same looks.

I’m sure this was stated throughout the 12 page thread here that I didn’t have the time to completely read through, but Leo needs to move low to attack until the staff feels Deere is ready. We need a more aggressive dodger there, and Hiltz would do better against shorties up top imo.

Gait also is sticking to his guns on the lack of taking timeouts I see, which is so infuriating knowing how young this team is generally. Huge mistake not taking the TO on first OT possession to settle these guys in.

Simple solution on offense is putting Rhoa on the first line. Best dodger this team has and possibly the best shooter. He shouldn’t be sitting on the bench as long as he did in the 2nd half. Easily scores 2 more if given the opportunity.

I’d make the tough decision to sit Mark. Won’t happen but McCool should get an opportunity. He stops some of those 15 yard shots. Mark is guessing at times.

The guys covering Joey have been able to stay with their match up with him because we aren’t making his guy slide off of him like teams are doing to us. Need to let Joey play some crease so his guy needs to be the 1 slide which would create more opportunities for him. Not even sure what to think of Hiltz. Looks like he could careless about being on the field.

Saw Dwan get benched for some time. Not sure what he did wrong. Need to get home and watch.

Looked like they have Figueiras directing the D at this point. Tough job.
Spot on analysis, it’s a shame on Mark - maybe fatigued from playing in the World Games with PR this summer and didn’t get a true break?

Gait also is sticking to his guns on the lack of taking timeouts I see, which is so infuriating knowing how young this team is generally. Huge mistake not taking the TO on first OT possession to settle these guys in.

Gait called a TO at 3:18 in OT. We got off two shots after the TO.

Simple solution on offense is putting Rhoa on the first line. Best dodger this team has and possibly the best shooter. He shouldn’t be sitting on the bench as long as he did in the 2nd half. Easily scores 2 more if given the opportunity.

I’d make the tough decision to sit Mark. Won’t happen but McCool should get an opportunity. He stops some of those 15 yard shots. Mark is guessing at times.

The guys covering Joey have been able to stay with their match up with him because we aren’t making his guy slide off of him like teams are doing to us. Need to let Joey play some crease so his guy needs to be the 1 slide which would create more opportunities for him. Not even sure what to think of Hiltz. Looks like he could careless about being on the field.

Saw Dwan get benched for some time. Not sure what he did wrong. Need to get home and watch.

You can't bench Mark. What if McCool doesn't play well how can u go back to Mark? It will kill his confidence and mentally destroy the kid. He's a 2 time AA who is just in a little slump. Not even a bad one he made a heck of save for the game to even go to OT. You pull him and mess up his confidence u lose him for the season meanwhile he can pull out of it and get back to his usual self maybe better yet never happens because he's not playing at an AA level right now just a good level so bench him. No way can you pull Mark u let him get thru it and finish the season strong. Last yr he started strong and fell off some so I rather him start slower and come on stronger to finish the yr. U pull him now and McCool doesn't play well then what? Can't go back to Mark he will be ruined mentally. If he was playing awful then yeah ok but he's not at all just not playing like an AA right now. You remember he had a bad game vs UNC at the dome last yr then came back the next week vs Duke and made 24 saves? Let him get back to himself he's to talented to bench. I'm sure he's working hard to get back to form and he will.

Spot on analysis, it’s a shame on Mark - maybe fatigued from playing in the World Games with PR this summer and didn’t get a true break?
I think the lack of action has lulled him to sleep some at times and lost focus. He's used to get peppered he did for 3 yrs at LIU and then last yr at SU. He makes ridiculous saves just this yr balls are getting by him that he usuall saves yet in crunch time like to send the game to OT he makes great saves as he is focused. It's something the coaches and him need to work on to keep him mentally focused and on top of his game non stop til the final whistle. He will get back to himself he's to good of a goalie not to and to good to bench.

Here's the miss by Mule. In hindsight he it looks like he could have gotten closer to the goal, but probably only a few steps and I'm not sure it would have made a ton of difference. Tough, tough break.

I lost it because he didn't push it. In real time it's an unsettled situation 3v2, 3v3 with a goalie 15 yards out. In hindsight after watching this video, not pushing it is even worse than I thought. The guy who's going to slide in 5 yards to stop ball would be leaving his man for a 1 on 1 (to the left). With a goalie who is still 15-20 yards from the cage.

The right thing for him to have done in that situation was to attack the cage. Lost opportunity. (a 40 yard empty netter, under pressure, is not as easy as it seems. So enticing but a poor decision.)

Last edited:
A few comments on this game and overall

Lots of knee jerk reactions. Army and Maryland are both teams predicted to be FF teams. Both legit top 5 teams. Syracuse loses two tough ones in OT, that should have or had opportunities to win both in OT. So here we are. One goal to win waived off and a fluky empty net miss after making a great defensive play on the ride; most people overlook that.

This is a really good team who is finding itself defensively and trying to find itself offensively while still being a super young team.

Mark has been inconsistent. He's let in some that he shouldn't and on the flip he's made some great saves. Nobody has mentioned him saving the win 3 or 4 times the last few minutes of this game (and even MD). He made some crazy game saving saves last night diving around. Gimme a break.

The offense, the free wheeling is fun but youthfully undisciplined and makes too many unforced mistakes for my taste. I hate that. Too much one on one and hero ball at the end of this game. Guys were playing tight and trying to do to much solo in the 2nd half.

The attack struggle with A list defenders. Spallina is overmatched right now against the top 1v1 guys. (side bar, I hate how much we stand behind cage waiting for cutters. I get it but it's not for me.)

Defensively I think we slide to early. Would tone it down some but I really like Oderna. Sometimes I think he's the head coach.

I'm still not crazy about March. In the time out huddle he didn't draw up a play. You could hear the feed and it was basically predicated on short stick matchups. I don't believe the players even followed what he was saying and drawing on the white board though. I forget but if the backhanded shot was against the pole then Spallina did his own thing because they were supposed to attack the short sticks. Going rogue seems to happen often.

March - the man up sucks and has for a couple of years now. I think we're 9-25 right now like 36%. Does it look like there's a play or a plan because to me it's just throwing it around and if the crease doesn't open up it's a deep cranks. Disappointing.

Offensively - when things aren't going well we press. The attack can't really beat anyone off the bounce and too many poor decisions and bad shots. If they valued the ball a little more and stopped taking so many risks it'd be a really tough bunch. We give the other team too many opportunities because of our high risk play.

Getting a feel for the personnel, I'm demoting Thompson and Hiltz. I'd put Leo down on that lefty attack wing. Hiltz is likely drawing the worse pole and is still MIA because his game is finishing when his man slides, but no one on attack is good enough to make guys slide. He also comes off screens as a finisher but so what. The offense from the midfield is the pick and roll game and teams aren't forced to slide off Hiltz. Leo can finish and is a better dodger. In fact Leo imho is one of THE best players.

Overall this team can still be a FF team and still has a lot of season to prove itself. Just clean things up and stay the course.

Last edited:

I would not mind a 1st middie line of Rhoa Leo and English.

A few comments on this game and overall

Lots of knee jerk reactions. Army and Maryland are both teams predicted to be FF teams. Both legit top 5 teams. Syracuse loses two tough ones in OT, that should have or had opportunities to win both in OT. So here we are. One goal to win waived off and a fluky empty net miss after making a great defensive play on the ride; most people overlook that.

This is a really good team who is finding itself defensively and trying to find itself offensively while still being a super young team.

Mark has been inconsistent. He's let in some that he shouldn't and on the flip he's made some great saves. Nobody has mentioned him saving the win 3 or 4 times the last few minutes of this game (and even MD). He made some crazy game saving saves last night diving around. Gimme a break.

The offense, the free wheeling is fun but youthfully undisciplined and makes too many unforced mistakes for my taste. I hate that. Too much one on one and hero ball at the end of this game. Guys were playing tight and trying to do to much solo in the 2nd half.

The attack struggle with A list defenders. Spallina is overmatched right now against the top 1v1 guys. (side bar, I hate how much we stand behind cage waiting for cutters. I get it but it's not for me.)

Defensively I think we slide to early. Would tone it down some but I really like Oderna. Sometimes I think he's the head coach.

I'm still not crazy about March. In the time out huddle he didn't draw up a play. You could hear the feed and it was basically predicated on short stick matchups. I don't believe the players even followed what he was saying and drawing on the white board though. I forget but if the backhanded shot was against the pole then Spallina did his own thing because they were supposed to attack the short sticks. Going rogue seems to happen often.

March - the man up sucks and has for a couple of years now. I think we're 9-25 right now like 36%. Does it look like there's a play or a plan because to me it's just throwing it around and if the crease doesn't open up it's a deep cranks. Disappointing.

Offensively - when things aren't going well we press. The attack can't really beat anyone off the bounce and too many poor decisions and bad shots. If they valued the ball a little more and stopped taking so many risks it'd be a really tough bunch. We give the other team too many opportunities because of our high risk play.

Getting a feel for the personnel, I'm demoting Thompson and Hiltz. I'd put Leo down on that lefty attack wing. Hiltz is likely drawing the worse pole and is still MIA because his game is finishing when his man slides, but no one on attack is good enough to make guys slide. He also comes off screens as a finisher but so what. The offense from the midfield is the pick and roll game and teams aren't forced to slide off Hiltz. Leo can finish and is a better dodger. In fact Leo imho is one of THE best players.

Overall this team can still be a FF team and still has a lot of season to prove itself. Just clean things up and stay the course.
Don't agree about March, last year Syracuse lead the nation in man-up goals and was near the top percentage wise. This year they are off but it's still early. Syracuse had success all game attacking the shorties so when drawing up the play he wanted to make sure the players understood that's where they should attack from. Coming out of a timeout you don't know where the defenders will be, he was giving the players options. Also, we don't know what he put on the white board, but he did tell the players by name what he wanted. Syracuse has gone toe to toe with 2 of the top defenses in the country. They are real close to a break through.

Don't agree about March, last year Syracuse lead the nation in man-up goals and was near the top percentage wise. This year they are off but it's still early. Syracuse had success all game attacking the shorties so when drawing up the play he wanted to make sure the players understood that's where they should attack from. Coming out of a timeout you don't know where the defenders will be, he was giving the players options. Also, we don't know what he put on the white board, but he did tell the players by name what he wanted. Syracuse has gone toe to toe with 2 of the top defenses in the country. They are real close to a break through.
“man up has sucked for a couple years now” is just plain not true. It was amazing last year. One of the best in the country. I think we may need to change the personnel from what we currently have this year but we can’t rewrite the past now to fit a narrative.

Maybe I'm thinking of the year before then. It blends together. I feel like man-up has been an issue for a long time (so maybe one year it wasn't.) Right now it's bad and we aren't even trying to run a man up play. The best at it, have plans and move the ball quickly. That's 100% on the coaching.

All the other stuff you wrote I know that. I don't know what he drew on the white board but I could hear plain as day what he was saying. What he didn't say was for Joey to take his pole to the weak side, get stuffed on a question mark dodge and then re-dodge into a double team and try some crazy back handed shot. These guys need to value the ball more and particularly possessions in crunch time. It's on March and Gary to get these players to play smarter and do what they're being instructed to do.

I like guys to create on their own but the problem can then be players who try to do to much iso. It has to be within a basic structure. When Spallina couldn't get off the question mark he should've pulled it out and moved the ball.

If the Syracuse offense wasn't so high risk and undisciplined (they take a lot of bad shots), they would have already broken through.

Last edited:
I think spallina needs to fully realize this isn’t high school he isn’t the biggest or best player on field and stop trying to body defenders. He runs n sometimes has a step but then stops to body n against top defenders they eat him alive. He needs to just go hard to net for shot or goal hard to feed not stopping. He also needs to chill out with btb shots as everyone knows it’s coming. So now use it against them. Fake the btb or rocker step out of it n go. He’s young and smart but don’t need be flashy to be noticed or hero. roha def should been out there more he took 2 shots all game n one was nasty goal. Anyone who dodges all seem to do so to pass. That’s fine but also be willing to shoot.

also can we please see titus play more. Hasn’t been out there much at all n is true dmid see what kid can do. Play him early n give him a shot. We can’t keep running same dudes non stop cause can see guys getting winded. Also only slide if dude is beat. We give too many opportunities for teams by sliding when doesn’t need to be done. Army was banking on those aggressive slides for second half. Also if gonna go then GO stop going halfway then stopping. Either go or don’t. Also i like to see defense throw some more checks. Feels like we just run with our guy n push him little bit if gets close. Poke check stick check (nothing in head n would say not maby 1 hand checks) but beat down on them make them know ok i get close he’s gonna tee off on me. Truely surprise for how bad it those refs were didn’t call moving pick on thompson. Seem few times he would jump not set feet when pick. Or go to pick n then move.

This team is good and alot of talent still young n def improved but need to start closing out these close big games if want anything to be of value. When get a lead like up 3 goals don’t try forcing balls or take high risk plays. Not saying waste clock but ya have lead n want to score but be smart don’t need perfect play but don’t take unnecessary risk.

Bad decisions in big moments from players who should know better. March might be a better recruiter than Desko or Donahue in the modern era but I have never seen him draw up a play to win a game since he’s been here. The team is very close to being elite but they aren’t there yet
With respect to any current staff member - If you're making a list of the greatest Xs and Os coaches in lacrosse history, you wouldn't be going too far down the list before naming both Desko and Donahue. But even Desko took a little time. If you look back at the records, he was fair in close games for his first handful of years, then we seemingly always won tight games or pulled out games

Last thing our shooters need to change levels or throw fakes. Shocked with how many box guys we have but yet telegraph shots or no level changes. Hope stevens is back soon as def need him. Overall whole team needs to play with more urgency but composed n with heart. Also be nice to implement a ride try get ball back few more times.

I like this group with adding Spallina, Birt, and a combo of Hiltz/Mule at attack. I think Rhoa and Birtwistle are too good to be on the bench as much as they are.

Birtwistle really should be in the top 6 somewhere. All he does is score goals consistently. I know he helps make the 2nd line dangerous but he should be out there more.

I think the lack of action has lulled him to sleep some at times and lost focus. He's used to get peppered he did for 3 yrs at LIU and then last yr at SU. He makes ridiculous saves just this yr balls are getting by him that he usuall saves yet in crunch time like to send the game to OT he makes great saves as he is focused. It's something the coaches and him need to work on to keep him mentally focused and on top of his game non stop til the final whistle. He will get back to himself he's to good of a goalie not to and to good to bench.
I was traveling last night and this morning but did get a look at the game stats and some of the video.

Overall, two OT losses to top teams is a great indication of the talent level and improvement of the team. Getting used to pressure and finishing is something they need to go through apparently. The downside is that the 2 losses can really hurt us for the post-season, there's no getting around it. Given the short season compared to other sports, there should be some sort of "reward" in the rpi scheme for an overtime loss against top teams. But...there isn't so it will be an uphill battle. I really think there is cause for optimism - the team has been sloppy, can't finish etc. and they still could easily have won both games. This is the first season since 2020-21 when we move through the season with a chance to seriously compete against the best teams.

Concerns for me are:

1. Lack of production from Spallina and Hiltz against top teams. Spallina hasn't got the size or speed to compete with the top defenders and I don't see that changing. I have no idea what's going on with Hiltz - I'm wondering if March is not using him properly with too much focus on Joey.

2. Will Mark's lapses are happening regularly and is a continuation of the poor stats he had against the top teams last year with a big drop off in the ACC. I don't agree with AD31 that Mark is that fragile. Gait could give McCool the start against HP and let Mark have a rest on a short week. McCool needs to get experience and we should take down HP easily. If Mark does struggle down the stretch, giving McCool some time now will give him more confidence if needed down the road.
3. Thomson should be platooned - he will probably be a star for us down the road but still a frosh.
4. I'm still not sold on March. The offense hasn't looked as good as it should going back to 2021 - always underachieving against the good teams. I'm hoping if we don't have a playoff run this year, March will be toasted and we get a new guy for 2025.

“man up has sucked for a couple years now” is just plain not true. It was amazing last year. One of the best in the country. I think we may need to change the personnel from what we currently have this year but we can’t rewrite the past now to fit a narrative.
I think you were trying to respond to the guy I was responding to?

I was traveling last night and this morning but did get a look at the game stats and some of the video.

Overall, two OT losses to top teams is a great indication of the talent level and improvement of the team. Getting used to pressure and finishing is something they need to go through apparently. The downside is that the 2 losses can really hurt us for the post-season, there's no getting around it. Given the short season compared to other sports, there should be some sort of "reward" in the rpi scheme for an overtime loss against top teams. But...there isn't so it will be an uphill battle. I really think there is cause for optimism - the team has been sloppy, can't finish etc. and they still could easily have won both games. This is the first season since 2020-21 when we move through the season with a chance to seriously compete against the best teams.

Concerns for me are:

1. Lack of production from Spallina and Hiltz against top teams. Spallina hasn't got the size or speed to compete with the top defenders and I don't see that changing. I have no idea what's going on with Hiltz - I'm wondering if March is not using him properly with too much focus on Joey.

2. Will Mark's lapses are happening regularly and is a continuation of the poor stats he had against the top teams last year with a big drop off in the ACC. I don't agree with AD31 that Mark is that fragile. Gait could give McCool the start against HP and let Mark have a rest on a short week. McCool needs to get experience and we should take down HP easily. If Mark does struggle down the stretch, giving McCool some time now will give him more confidence if needed down the road.
3. Thomson should be platooned - he will probably be a star for us down the road but still a frosh.
4. I'm still not sold on March. The offense hasn't looked as good as it should going back to 2021 - always underachieving against the good teams. I'm hoping if we don't have a playoff run this year, March will be toasted and we get a new guy for 2025.

A few interesting ideas for sure.

Just to clarify, Thomson is a Sophomore.

Hiltz really hasn't been the same player since his season ending injury. March was the OC his frosh year and the Offense didn't radically change so I am not 100% sure what it is but he hasn't been the same player. Mark's a real good goalie but the elevation in competition I think has shown some cracks. I don't want to say the competition"exposed" him because he's still a very good goalie but I think against the highest level of competition he's more of a very good goalie versus a great one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom