As indicated in Friday's Thread: ACC-Maryland moving toward Settlement | Syracusefan.com

As indicated in Friday's Thread: ACC-Maryland moving toward Settlement

arbitragegls

All Conference
As you know, on Friday I posted this in the thread... "Glimmer of Network and NYC".. at the end of thread:

Additionally, the Maryland law suit is moving forward...and I would not be surprised with something percolating to discussion in a reasonable time frame...and it should be all good.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..
arbitragegls, Friday at 8:00 PMEditDeleteReport
#1Reply

Obviously the whispers were a bit louder than indicated...and the read between the lines was not too obvious...at any rate, by now you know that the Washington Post broke the story today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...maryland-vs-acc-lawsuit/?wpmk=MK0000203&clsrd

What is interesting is that the expectation from within the ACC is it will be a win...Maryland needs to schedule some ACC teams in some sports such as LAX; B1G has set aside nearly $30,000,000 in travel incentive for Maryland (to use as it sees fit); and the ACC is holding nearly $33,000,000 dollars of Maryland ACC monies.

I have heard that both B1G and ACC want to get this finalized prior to Maryland entering the B1G...and especially now since the ACC and B1G are working hand in hand with the other P5 conferences, they don't want this argument to continue...look for a settlement within the next 2 months...both sides claim victory...and Maryland can do that by agreeing to pay less than $52,000,000...I believe as said in much earlier threads that the ACC will get $28,0000,000- $35,000,000...and now, everyone can get back to "peace" at least for a few more days.

If I'm the ACC I call BS and go for the full monte. What can they lose? Nothing.
I agree...
upay.jpg

If I'm the ACC I call BS and go for the full monte. What can they lose? Nothing.

Bees, very few business deals come together in a vacuum...think about what we all want to have happen...and fact that Maryland leaving leaves a significant gap in our footprint...ohh did it hurt the ACC!...the ACC needs and demands significant compensation...(as mirrored by the STEALTHside discussion)...between the lines is a good place to read...

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange...

If maryland offers $30 million and acc denies and then loses suit, theyll have lost exactly $30 million.

Btw - it should be noted that a lot of courts require nonbinding mediation prior to trial so you cant derive much from a willingness to settle standpoint. Parties could be ways apart.

I think the final amount will happen to equal the monies withheld from Maryland as of June 1. The ACC will have $30+ million without having to chase Maryland for another nickel and Maryland will have a "clean slate" in the B1G.

If maryland offers $30 million and acc denies and then loses suit, theyll have lost exactly $30 million.
Why would they lose the suit? A court has to have a reason for invalidation. The Terps are up shitt creek.

Why would they lose the suit? A court has to have a reason for invalidation. The Terps are up shitt creek.

Don't they have to show that the ACC will be out $50 million to award $50 million in damages?

I think one issue is that a trial could end up disclosing some stuff that could be embarrassing or damaging for different parties. I think it will be settle soon and in the $30 to $35 million range.

Good stuff as always, arb. Thanks for keeping us up to speed.

jgeorge322 said:

Lose? It's a contract not harm.

sdhusky said:
Don't they have to show that the ACC will be out $50 million to award $50 million in damages? I think one issue is that a trial could end up disclosing some stuff that could be embarrassing or damaging for different parties. I think it will be settle soon and in the $30 to $35 million range.

Yea, it might come out that the ACC secretly kept out mid majors that bring nothing to the table.

Yea, it might come out that the ACC secretly kept out mid majors that bring nothing to the table.
That - plus the strategy to extort cable subscribers who would otherwise have no interest in watching dumpster fires.

As you know, on Friday I posted this in the thread... "Glimmer of Network and NYC".. at the end of thread:

Additionally, the Maryland law suit is moving forward...and I would not be surprised with something percolating to discussion in a reasonable time frame...and it should be all good.

arbitragegls, Friday at 8:00 PMEditDeleteReport
#1Reply

Obviously the whispers were a bit louder than indicated...and the read between the lines was not too obvious...at any rate, by now you know that the Washington Post broke the story today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...maryland-vs-acc-lawsuit/?wpmk=MK0000203&clsrd

What is interesting is that the expectation from within the ACC is it will be a win...Maryland needs to schedule some ACC teams in some sports such as LAX; B1G has set aside nearly $30,000,000 in travel incentive for Maryland (to use as it sees fit); and the ACC is holding nearly $33,000,000 dollars of Maryland ACC monies.

I have heard that both B1G and ACC want to get this finalized prior to Maryland entering the B1G...and especially now since the ACC and B1G are working hand in hand with the other P5 conferences, they don't want this argument to continue...look for a settlement within the next 2 months...both sides claim victory...and Maryland can do that by agreeing to pay less than $52,000,000...I believe as said in much earlier threads that the ACC will get $28,0000,000- $35,000,000...and now, everyone can get back to "peace" at least for a few more days.

I missed your Friday post can you link it?

the acc will have withheld 32-34 million by june 30th I think that will be the settled amount

a bad settlement is better than a bad judgment. As they said in the movie the verdict, when they give you the money, it means you won.

dasher said:
a bad settlement is better than a bad judgment. As they said in the movie the verdict, when they give you the money, it means you won.

I am sure they feel there is a 99% chance they would win. There are no grounds not too. Roll the dice and bury Maryland.

I am sure they feel there is a 99% chance they would win. There are no grounds not too. Roll the dice and bury Maryland.

How do you know how much % chance the plaintiff lawyers feel about winning?

jgeorge322 said:
How do you know how much % chance the plaintiff lawyers feel about winning?

I'm smart.

They signed off on the by laws.

I hope you're right because it'd be a good deterrent to other schools leaving but I wouldn't get overly confident. This could drag out for years if the parties don't compromise. Also, i work with competent attorneys daily and never got a 90% chance of winning on anything, yet alone an issue of first impression.

jgeorge322 said:
I hope you're right because it'd be a good deterrent to other schools leaving but I wouldn't get overly confident. This could drag out for years if the parties don't compromise. Also, i work with competent attorneys daily and never got a 90% chance of winning on anything, yet alone an issue of first impression.

Oh, I bet they compromise. I'm only saying I wouldn't.