As the UConn Huskies get smashed today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

As the UConn Huskies get smashed today

I said this previously Calhoun is going to come out of retirement to save his work.
I don't see it. He is two years older than JB right now. And he always looks rather sickly to me. Plus, it would be like starting over. Without having the Big East to back him up. As you get older, your mind makes bets your body can't cash. He would want to do it, but I doubt he could do it.

I don't see it. He is two years older than JB right now. And he always looks rather sickly to me. Plus, it would be like starting over. Without having the Big East to back him up. As you get older, your mind makes bets your body can't cash. He would want to do it, but I doubt he could do it.
Agree with you Dash. It would take him at least 2-3 years to get a winning season on top of the age and health issues.

I could see Calhoun coming back a la Larry Brown at SMU.
He would hire his successor as his lead assistant and HCIW.
His brand would help sell recruits and help the facade that everything is okay.
Calhoun coaches 2 years and then the assistant takes over.

He's coming out of retirement to coach a D III school.
Yes, I thought he'd already announced that.

It's not unprecedented. The great Larry Costello coached at Utica College in his later years.

I said this previously Calhoun is going to come out of retirement to save his work.

Thought I saw somewhere he was going to coach a d3 school or something?

I could see Calhoun coming back a la Larry Brown at SMU.
He would hire his successor as his lead assistant and HCIW.
His brand would help sell recruits and help the facade that everything is okay.
Calhoun coaches 2 years and then the assistant takes over.
I don't think it would help much. He won't get one and done recruits and every recruit would know he isn't going to be there for his jr and sr years. I expect this to start hurting us. Very soon.

He's coming out of retirement to coach a D III school.
He's not coaching - he's just consulting.

Also - Calhoun hand picked Ollie, and over the past few years their relationship has become pretty soured.

But yeah there is no way Calhoun comes back - it's pretty much a full blown rebuild at this point. It's not like if he came tomorrow back he'd take this team to the NCAAs - the talent on the roster isn't that great at all.

He's not coaching - he's just consulting.

Also - Calhoun hand picked Ollie, and over the past few years their relationship has become pretty soured.

But yeah there is no way Calhoun comes back - it's pretty much a full blown rebuild at this point. It's not like if he came tomorrow back he'd take this team to the NCAAs - the talent on the roster isn't that great at all.
He plans to return to coaching in 2018.

Ex-UConn coach Jim Calhoun comes out of retirement to coach Division III St. Joseph

Absolute tragedy what has happened to SU, gtown, and uconn, (should throw in st johns as well). The top teams in BE just got ravaged. At least Villanova survived for now and i hope SU can be a dominate force in the acc someday the way it was in the BE...

Absolute tragedy what has happened to SU, gtown, and uconn, (should throw in st johns as well). The top teams in BE just got ravaged. At least Villanova survived for now and i hope SU can be a dominate force in the acc someday the way it was in the BE...

I know the past year hasn't been great, but we did go to a final four, so I wouldn't call it a tragedy.

vs Auburn I am reminded that some of us saw this coming and said that when the Huskies were left at the alter during realignment, they were in major trouble and would not be able to sustain their hoop program at the level that they had been. There were others here that argued with us that we were wrong. That their brand would help carry them through this. Now, my point isn't to go down memory lane about the Huskies. Screw them. Who cares. But it does carry me to another board argument and that is how badly the sanctions have hurt us. I maintain that they have hurt us a lot. And much of the problems that we see right now, are happening because of those same sanctions. The result is the team we have. And I believe that our coach has looked at this team and said what do we have on the ship that is good? And his answer is that we can become an elite defensive team. We only have at this time, three guys that we can rely on to score. As we saw last night, maybe not even that. But down the road, perhaps we can be that elite defensive team. I think it is the right bet. No offensive scheme is going to make Moyer or PC offensive threats. Marek might have potential on offense but he hasn't really showed it. That really leaves us with the three. And that really leaves us with the hope that our defense can get to that elite level as the season goes on. In any case, let's face it, we all would have signed up for 11-2 in the OCC.

I was kind of looking to avoid it, but I think the thread title may have inspired me to do likewise, which on occasion actually encourages me to contribute more instead of the usual slowing me dowm. Thanks Dasher, never let it be said that you were not an inspiration to me! ;)

Hey, being you are such a prophet, did you see them getting their 4th national title belt while in the conference you feel the need to disparage. and while you also try to rationalize that somehow the 4th title belt is worth less than being in the ACC?

I think my first avatar with Otto beating down the Huskies mascot...but like the title of the political site that is popular with a good many of you on here that have decided to stay stuck in the false left/right paradigm that keeps us divided, I have decided to "move on", which it's obvious that a great many of you haven't. The repeated posts are evidence of the fixation. The real vex would be if you could somehow get over them, and stop posting about them. You ask, "Who cares", and my reply to you would be to ask the man in the mirror(i might let out a Michael Jackson sound effect like he does in his moving song of the same title, which periodically reminds me of the work we all can do).

I'm not a UConn fan, but I dont miond taking pleasure to seeing them wave all those title belts in your face while you repeat the manta of ACC while rocking back and forth like some crazed cult member. Let me know how it's working for ya.

By the way, the second half of your post I can concur with in part, which leads me to ask if the first half was entirely necessary or if there was a way to do it without making it entirely a swipe at uconn... the road more travelled(to paraphrase Frost) on here? Youve given me grief lately, so I figured this is a decent chance to give it back before we decide to let bygones be bygones, and it's directed at far more folks than just you, so I figured it would be useful.

Addressing the first half of your post, would you take a 4th title belt in exchange to bragging rights for being mired in mediocrity in the ACC? Has it helped us get that 4th title belt sooner than their conference helped them? I get wanting to mock rivals(though in the same breath many claim they arent, lol), so any chance for another narrative for a bit like laptops or cafeteria antics? lol ...I guess it helps some fans to accept their lack of excellence by finding others who have it worse(at the moment, who among you "prophets" predicted that title belt?). Not for me, but I guess some of us hold ourselves to higher standards. I think I'm going to turn Pandora on right now and relax to some music, it seems appropriate.

Last edited:
Hes a **** but Calhoun was the best coach of my time, and imo not really close
I agree. Calhoun was a great coach. Def on the K level. Hate to say it and I know this is blasphemous, but he was better than JB. Just seemed to prepare his teams better. JB is a good in game tactician for sure.

Last edited:
My fault, you are correct sir.

Man the Boneyard is a joy this morning - especially since they posted Friday (well one of them did) about us losing to the Bonnies - really? SBU would run UConn out of the gym.

One thing though ... how did we only beat them by 9 or 10? We dominated that game from start to finish and got every rebound. Arizona played like complete garbage on Thursday and didn't have Ayton for the 1st half they still won by 16. Arkansas and Auburn completely blew the doors off them. They needed OT to beat Columbia and Monmouth. They stuck around with MSU in the 1st half but still lost by 20.

Why didn't we win by more lol.

Another thing to take away - they have no fight. If this UConn team was down 13 @Georgetown Saturday, they would completely fold and lose by 20. I'm proud of how we're responding in these close games - our guys aren't quitting.
It already won us the GTown game, should have won us the SBU game, and will be big once ACC play comes around.
You can just tell the body language difference between the 2 teams and coaches. Man, the coaches - i know JB is a HOFer and Ollie is still new - but once UConn gets down 4 he pouts, sits down, and puts his head in his hands. JB still looks like a spring chicken with his energy compared to Ollie.

We’ll be fine. Sanctions took their toll and our worst years we’re still on the bubble and made a Final Four.

Recruiting is finally back where it should be and the class we just got has far exceeded everyone’s expectations.

I was kind of looking to avoid it, but I think the thread title may have inspired me to do likewise, which on occasion actually encourages me to contribute more instead of the usual slowing me dowm. Thanks Dasher, never let it be said that you were not an inspiration to me! ;)

Hey, being you are such a prophet, did you see them getting their 4th national title belt while in the conference you feel the need to disparage. and while you also try to rationalize that somehow the 4th title belt is worth less than being in the ACC?

I think my first avatar with Otto beating down the Huskies mascot...but like the title of the political site that is popular with a good many of you on here that have decided to stay stuck in the false left/right paradigm that keeps us divided, I have decided to "move on", which it's obvious that a great many of you haven't. The repeated posts are evidence of the fixation. The real vex would be if you could somehow get over them, and stop posting about them. You ask, "Who cares", and my reply to you would be to ask the man in the mirror(i might let out a Michael Jackson sound effect like he does in his moving song of the same title, which periodically reminds me of the work we all can do).

I'm not a UConn fan, but I dont miond taking pleasure to seeing them wave all those title belts in your face while you repeat the manta of ACC while rocking back and forth like some crazed cult member. Let me know how it's working for ya.

By the way, the second half of your post I can concur with in part, which leads me to ask if the first half was entirely necessary or if there was a way to do it without making it entirely a swipe at uconn... the road more travelled(to paraphrase Frost) on here? Youve given me grief lately, so I figured this is a decent chance to give it back before we decide to let bygones be bygones, and it's directed at far more folks than just you, so I figured it would be useful.

Addressing the first half of your post, would you take a 4th title belt in exchange to bragging rights for being mired in mediocrity in the ACC? Has it helped us get that 4th title belt sooner than their conference helped them? I get wanting to mock rivals(though in the same breath many claim they arent, lol), so any chance for another narrative for a bit like laptops or cafeteria antics? lol ...I guess it helps some fans to accept their lack of excellence by finding others who have it worse(at the moment, who among you "prophets" predicted that title belt?). Not for me, but I guess some of us hold ourselves to higher standards. I think I'm going to turn Pandora on right now and relax to some music, it seems appropriate.

Stopped reading after you mentioned their last title (doing a lot of that lately). They won with upperclassmen that were there to play in the Big East and play for Jim Calhoun. They ain't getting those kids anymore.

I have to disagree.

Several American teams have been able to do quite well for themselves despite their fate in that conference (or a lower conference before that) - Cincinnati, SMU, Wichita St. Houston has come back from irrelevancy to become a possible tournament team this year. Temple and Tulsa have been able to get at larges out of the American in the past two years.

The point is simple - while not going to the P5 will hurt you, it does not crush you. You are blaming too much of UConn's performance on re-alignment. That is wrong - most of the blame needs to be pointed at the coaching staff which are doing an absolutely terrible job. Going to the American should have hurt but not crushed the program.

Likewise blaming our recruiting mistakes largely on sanctions, takes away accountability. No doubt that overall class ratings will suffer some because of the sanctions. But there have been many serious whiffs that you can't blame the sanctions on.

All that being said, I can't fully compare the two, because now the Syracuse coaching staff have us clearly going in the right direction, and Ollie has them going straight to the crapper.
Ollie is a marginal coach, but the talent drop from the Okafor -Villanueva - Gay years is monumental. Recruiting is night and day.

They used to be able to pitch recruits on playing Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt and Villanova and playing in the absolute best post season tournament on the planet. And the games against crappy conference teams (Seton hall, providence, St Johns) was at least drivable.

Telling kids (and their parents) they're going on road trips to East Carolina, SMU and Tulsa with a tournament in Memphis is a really tough pitch. Especially those on the east coast.

The teams cited above are in a much better geographic situation.

If UCONN were in the Big East, they'd still be a basketball power. Their admin was in a tough spot - they chased the brass ring (football) and fell short.

I am convinced CaptainJ is FriarJ who trolls old Big East teams boards.

The poster doesn’t seem like a Syracuse fan.
Captain J is a fan. He just expresses it differently.
Merry Christmas everybody. Happy Holidays and New Year!

You don’t earn title “belts” in college basketball. Your unfocused, meandering post and lazy thinking seem to echo your confused thinking about politics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom