As the UConn Huskies get smashed today | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

As the UConn Huskies get smashed today

Ollie is a marginal coach, but the talent drop from the Okafor -Villanueva - Gay years is monumental. Recruiting is night and day.

They used to be able to pitch recruits on playing Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt and Villanova and playing in the absolute best post season tournament on the planet. And the games against crappy conference teams (Seton hall, providence, St Johns) was at least drivable.

Telling kids (and their parents) they're going on road trips to East Carolina, SMU and Tulsa with a tournament in Memphis is a really tough pitch. Especially those on the east coast.

The teams cited above are in a much better geographic situation.

If UCONN were in the Big East, they'd still be a basketball power. Their admin was in a tough spot - they chased the brass ring (football) and fell short.

Their only hope is going indy in football and convincing the Big East to accept them and an additional program to have an even number of teams.

Their only hope is going indy in football and convincing the Big East to accept them and an additional program to have an even number of teams.

Wonder what the analysis would be from financial standpoint of going indy. They would not get any TV money out of football besides signing a TV deal for home games, if SNY or YES would even pay for that. But even if they did, I couldn’t imagine it would pay much. They need Big Ten or ACC to throw them a lifeline. The Big12 doesn’t make any sense (Cinci and SMU have to be higher in the pecking order) and can’t believe UCONN would even want that considering the distance.

UCONN really is in a difficult spot. They got beat out by Rutgers for Big10. Maybe Big10 would add them to solidify NYC footprint if they go to 16 but I imagine UCONN is down the list of Big10 wants (Oklahoma and ND). So really, its ACC or bust, the way I see it, and I would prefer stealing WVU for ACC but UCONN wouldn’t be a bad fit if I was being honest. But I think BC and Cuse would block them, if possible.

With all that being said, I think UCONN has a small chance of getting out of purgatory in the next 10 years. What will its programs become during that time?

Last edited:
With the ACC and B1G moving to 20 conference games it sets the precedent for the other top basketball conferences to follow suit. With 10 members the Big East would only need to add one school to accomplish this. Big East fans, coaches, and administrations seem to enjoy round-robin home-away play. It opens the door for UConn but their football would have to go independent.

Ollie is a marginal coach, but the talent drop from the Okafor -Villanueva - Gay years is monumental. Recruiting is night and day.

They used to be able to pitch recruits on playing Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt and Villanova and playing in the absolute best post season tournament on the planet. And the games against crappy conference teams (Seton hall, providence, St Johns) was at least drivable.

Telling kids (and their parents) they're going on road trips to East Carolina, SMU and Tulsa with a tournament in Memphis is a really tough pitch. Especially those on the east coast.

The teams cited above are in a much better geographic situation.

If UCONN were in the Big East, they'd still be a basketball power. Their admin was in a tough spot - they chased the brass ring (football) and fell short.

I'm not really disputing any of these points. I think we are just looking at things from two different perspectives.

Put more simply:
Your view - Not being a national power falls fully on the realignment. (100% true and can't be disputed)
My view - Being a sub 100 program falls fully on the staff. Being in the American takes them out of being a true national power. but it does not mean they cannot be decent. (Based on the many decent programs in the AAC)

Last edited:
The UConn disaster continues its tour of national TV. Great timing for the program.

Today they are 11.0 point underdogs at home to Wichita St on CBS. (11 point dogs at home... you know you are bad when that happens)

The UConn disaster continues its tour of national TV. Great timing for the program.

Today they are 11.0 point underdogs at home to Wichita St on CBS. (11 point dogs at home... you know you are bad when that happens)
Currently up 12-9 with 11:08 in 1st half.

The worst part of playing uconn and georgetown OOC is having to root for them the rest of the season. Sonsabitches.

Currently up 12-9 with 11:08 in 1st half.

The worst part of playing uconn and georgetown OOC is having to root for them the rest of the season. Sonsabitches.

I certainly don't cheer for UConn. I would rather just deal with the consequencs of them doing as terribly as possible,

Probably because I am a post 1990 fan, I really don't care that much if Georgetown wins. I sort of like seeing them lose to 10+ seeds in the first round of the NCAA tourney year after year.

Anyone who's watched Wichiga this year isn't really surprised by this game - they are overrated.

Anyone who's watched Wichiga this year isn't really surprised by this game - they are overrated.

Even if they are overrated, had you watched UConn play?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom