Assistant coaches salaries | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant coaches salaries

Hop said he made $16k or something like that in his first year. Adjusted for inflation that means current assistants are making that times roughly 5 basis points above the CPI divided by the 30 year treasury rate and then add an amount that is placed, at noon on the first day of each fiscal year, in a sealed envelope on Funk and Wagnall’s porch.

We occasionally get Yukon guys posting under false pretenses.
E5195514-95A6-4706-8F71-A4639A885E51.gif

Tom from Connecticut?

Are you a SU fan?

We occasionally get Yukon guys posting under false pretenses.
Cuse fan living in Connecticut now but I lived in upstate (all over) NY my first 21 years.

I understand folks being put off by the question, especially given this is the person's first ever post . . . and it doesn't speak well of someone's resourcefulness that they don't go to Google and simply query-

what does a division one assistant basketball coach typically earn?

And the generic answer is, drumroll please-

well, I found out, but you'll have to do that part yourself

BTW, this is representative of the deep research skills I learned during my undergraduate years at SU . . . pretty impressive, huh ;-)
you do not know what they make and it is not easily found on google

You showed up asking the question like you were asking your secretary to do something for you then dissappeared. It was just some good natured humor relative to a random first post. Did you fully expect to get an answer and a coffee refill?
I asked if anybody had information to please share. Interpret it however you want.

a debate I have. Friend claims Autry makes 3X G Mac. I would find that odd
Autry should be making more due to his position on the staff. Three times? Maybe when GMac was first hired, but I doubt it. No way it is structured like that now. As a private school you know salaries aren't so easy to discover.

The funny thing is I don't care what UConn coaches make. I think you can find them more easily...Hurley better do better. Are the locals restless in CT?

Last edited:
Autry should be making more due to his position on the staff. Three times? Maybe when GMac was first hired. Very doubtful now. As a private school you know salaries aren't so easy to discover.
thank you

You know- when you offer this information as part of your first ask.. given it's your first post and we get lots of trolls- it makes a big difference.

You got defensive over legit questions of why you asked this. Hope you make some money on your bet.

Apparently this context made some people feel better. I'm not sure why they needed it. Some acted as if you were asking for their personal financial records. I wish I could have helped you out, but I have no clue what the answer is or where to find it.

I don't know if this is accurate. I would guess that we're at least 75th percentile and that there wouldn't be a huge disparity between coaches on the same team, certainly not 3:1. I can't believe Autry would make $90,000 and GMac would make $30,000. $90,000 and $75,000 would be more realistic.

I don't know if this is accurate. I would guess that we're at least 75th percentile and that there wouldn't be a huge disparity between coaches on the same team, certainly not 3:1. I can't believe Autry would make $90,000 and GMac would make $30,000. $90,000 and $75,000 would be more realistic.

I would be stunned if your coaches made this. When Hurley was hired the salaries for the assistants were $250,000, $250,000, and $315,000 respectively. And I know that Kimani Young got a promotion and bump since Kenya Hunter left so he’s probably closer to $325,000 now. My guess is that your assistants make similar money especially with that sweet ACC you have.

But yeah 3 to 1 seems very unlikely as well.

My buddy said Hopkins made 600K before he left. Berne was getting 600K. Autry about 600K & G Mac 150-200. He would not provide any sources other than hearsay.

It was believed that JB took below market here at Syracuse for multiple reasons. One of them possibly could have been to get his staff extra. Add in the ACC money and I could see the assistants making some good coin.

Apparently this context made some people feel better. I'm not sure why they needed it. Some acted as if you were asking for their personal financial records. I wish I could have helped you out, but I have no clue what the answer is or where to find it.

Put it this way- if someone I don't know comes and asks what certain employees at my company make every year and frames it as a request without referencing their own research or the reason- I am going to push back. It's not a normal question to ask the very first time we speak and without so much as a friendly hello. Given the propensity of people trolling or spamming, being skeptical and looking for a little clarity is not being a dick or unfair. Thus getting some color and conversation is better. It still smells like a troll to me but at least one that has finally softened up from the Nigerian Prince opening line.

I would be stunned if your coaches made this. When Hurley was hired the salaries for the assistants were $250,000, $250,000, and $315,000 respectively. And I know that Kimani Young got a promotion and bump since Kenya Hunter left so he’s probably closer to $325,000 now. My guess is that your assistants make similar money especially with that sweet ACC you have.

But yeah 3 to 1 seems very unlikely as well.
It struck me as low too. It's not a sports website, so I have no idea how accurate it is.

Edit: Also, I don't know if this includes all colleges on all levels. I suppose we could be 99th percentile 99.9th percentile when you take into consideration all the D2, D3, and NAIA schools.

Last edited:
Put it this way- if someone I don't know comes and asks what certain employees at my company make every year and frames it as a request without referencing their own research or the reason- I am going to push back. It's not a normal question to ask the very first time we speak and without so much as a friendly hello. Given the propensity of people trolling or spamming, being skeptical and looking for a little clarity is not being a dick or unfair. Thus getting some color and conversation is better. It still smells like a troll to me but at least one that has finally softened up from the Nigerian Prince opening line.
You're in a managerial position at SU?

Last I checked, it's a fan forum. He didn't call you up personnally or DM you. He threw it out there on the interwebs. I didn't realize there was a protocol for new posters. Assistant salaries for football are discussed all the time. This wasn't any different. I think sometimes people just like to assume the worst. I didn't see anything rude in the OP. He even said "thanks" at the end of the post.

My buddy said Hopkins made 600K before he left. Berne was getting 600K. Autry about 600K & G Mac 150-200. He would not provide any sources other than hearsay.
I would be surprised if Autry was making the same as Hopkins was. Hopkins had been with the program longer and had been a candidate for numerous HC jobs. That being said, I have no idea. It seems like coaching salaries are changing so fast, he could be right.

I googled University of Iowa since I follow them and they are a public school. Found some information from fiscal year 2016. Their basketball assistant coaches made $238K, $228K and $221K

Let's put it this way...Our assistants probably aren't slumming it at restaurant chains like Applebees with us common folk or slamming mystery meat burgers at five guys! These guys are making a good living and probably dining at Prime every night. (Said in my CR doctor voice) :)

You're in a managerial position at SU?

Last I checked, it's a fan forum. He didn't call you up personnally or DM you. He threw it out there on the interwebs. I didn't realize there was a protocol for new posters. Assistant salaries for football are discussed all the time. This wasn't any different. I think sometimes people just like to assume the worst. I didn't see anything rude in the OP. He even said "thanks" at the end of the post.
Glad you posted this.
Hard to understand why someone would get offended at the question.Actually I’m pretty interested in getting an answer to his question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom