ASU/Oregon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ASU/Oregon

im assuming he was told he wouldnt be a gauranteed starter next season and that was enough to convince him to leave...or am I wrong?

personally I wouldve told him the same - between him cole benny and jimmy thats a good group of forwards but QG wouldnt be a lock starter of those 4 imo...definite key player but not clear top option 40m/game type...wouldve been a good thing to have him on this years team for sure though.

I don't think there's any way QG wouldn't have started and played significant minutes on this Syracuse team. I also think there's zero chance he was told that he wouldn't be guaranteed to start. I think, as was mentioned earlier, he wanted more freedom in the offense (wasn't there talk of that while the season was still going on last year?) and perhaps he took the "grass must be greener on the other side of the fence" approach to his decision, which early on does not appear to have been a good decision at all.

I keep seeing this type of post. It’s the opposite transitive property than is normally applied. Usually it is “we beat so and so who beat so and so who beat…” and on it goes to prove our team is good. Now a combination of fear of the repercussions of appearing positive, general pessimism, and the classic upstate NY inferiority complex, we have swapped it to: “we beat so and so therefore they must suck and that team beat another team so that team must REALLY suck” and so on. Quite fascinating, actually.

Hardly. If you read my other posts on ASU I have held them far higher than most others. They have a ton of talent. That said their play so far has been bad. Oregon has also been bad but has a lot of talent and has also gotten some wins. So watching this one unfold and seeing an ASU teams supposed best player go scoreless yet get a road win vs Oregon is where I land on Oregon not being a good basketball team right now. Neither the Ducks or the Sun Devils have an identity and their talent is underperforming. I still think talent always prevails to some extent but when you ACC stud is averaging half what he was the year before at Oregon and your 19 a game MAC stud is even less than half (ASU) there is a lot to work out.

Not sure what is going on with Q. Oregon felt like a perfect landing spot for him. Weird

Not sure what is going on with Q. Oregon felt like a perfect landing spot for him. Weird
I haven’t watched a lot of Oregon. But Q wanted to be a perimeter threat and I’m pretty sure Oregon just parks him there on offense

I haven’t watched a lot of Oregon. But Q wanted to be a perimeter threat and I’m pretty sure Oregon just parks him there on offense
I've seen parts of several of their games, and from what I've seen, you're right on the mark. QG usually parks himself in the corner and waits for a pass. It doesn't seem to be his highest or best use. He's hitting only 24% of his threes as of now.

I still think Oregon was a perfect landing spot for what he wanted. Altman is letting him play in a way that JB wouldn't.

He's shooting 3.5 threes per game compared to 2.6 last season.

He's taking 2.3 shots inside the arc per game compared to 8 last season.

He averaged 5.6 "close 2" attempts and had just about one dunk per game last season. This season he is averaging less than 2 "close 2" attempts per game and has a single dunk through 8 games.

His offensive rebounding rate is only 5.4% compared 9.5% last year and 10.2% in conference play. Which was good for 8th in the ACC despite only being 6'7.

His PRPG, which Bart Torvik says "simply measures how many more points per game a player creates than a replacement player would, while taking one's usage into account" has dropped from a very good 4.0 to a not great 1.9.

His usage has dropped along with his EFG% and TS%. His assist rate and turnover rate have improved though.

Those numbers say he is playing inside on offense waaay less, shooting more threes, not being asked to bang for offensive rebounds, and creating for others more than he was at Syracuse. I would guess that's what he wanted out of his new landing spot.

It's pretty clearly not working out for Oregon though so you have to wonder if Altman lets him play this way the entire season. I guess I can't blame Quincy for wanting to bet on himself and make a move but JB might have known what he was doing in this case.

Sucks for everyone involved because he miiight have snuck into the second round if he stayed here and put up numbers in the way he had been his first two years and the forward trio of Q, Cole, and Jimmy would have been really good. Especially with Benny's early struggles.

Last edited:
I still think Oregon was a perfect landing spot for what he wanted. Altman is letting him play in a way that JB wouldn't.

He's shooting 3.5 threes per game compared to 2.6 last season.

He's taking 2.3 shots inside the arc per game compared to 8 last season.

He averaged 5.6 "close 2" attempts and had just about one dunk per game last season. This season he is averaging less than 2 "close 2" attempts per game and has a single dunk through 8 games.

His offensive rebounding rate is only 5.4% compared 9.5% last year and 10.2% in conference play. Which was good for 8th in the ACC despite only being 6'7.

His PRPG, which Bart Torvik says "simply measures how many more points per game a player creates than a replacement player would, while taking one's usage into account" has dropped from a very good 4.0 to a not great 1.9.

His usage has dropped along with his EFG% and TS%. His assist rate and turnover rate have improved though.

Those numbers say he is playing inside on offense waaay less, shooting more threes, not being asked to bang for offensive rebounds, and creating for others more than he was at Syracuse. I would guess that's what he wanted out of his new landing spot.

It's pretty clearly not working out for Oregon though so you have to wonder if Altman lets him play this way the entire season. I guess I can't blame Quincy for wanting to bet on himself and make a move but JB might have known what he was doing in this case.

Sucks for everyone involved because he miiight have snuck into the second round if he stayed here and put up numbers in the way he had been his first two years and the forward trio of Q, Cole, and Jimmy would have been really good. Especially with Benny's early struggles.

I'm loving the Bart Torvik site that you linked to - it's awesome, thanks for sharing that!!

Oregon and ASU are poorly coached teams. Guys aren’t put in the correct places to maximize their talent. Thisnis probably Altmans worse job ever.
and yet I can still see him somehow turning that thing around and winning a bunch of games and/or the pac12 tourney knowing Altman (blech) and the talent he has

People have short memories. Q was an effective strong player for us that had problems finishing at the rim. I liked him and respect him.

Nothing but respect and best wishes

I wish Quincy stayed. He would have formed a good trio with Swider and Jimmy. I also think the staff would have helped him more with his shot mechanics. Tough to showcase your talent with new teammates, new program etc.

Still, really enjoyed watching him and I hope he gets better.

I'm loving the Bart Torvik site that you linked to - it's awesome, thanks for sharing that!!

There is a lot of good things there -- not only player analysis which is grat, but projections, NET projections.

Purely from the tourney side trying to sort my way through some of their tools -- RPI Forecast used to be great for projections and "what ifs", "what we need to do" analysis especially in December and Early January... never found a good replacement yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom