At practice in San Jose | Syracusefan.com

At practice in San Jose

manleyzoo

2nd String
As a left-coaster I haven't seen the team in person all season long so today's practice was my first look at them up close and personal. We practiced at 5 pm PT for an hour, right after UNLV. Aside from players, coaches, officials, affiliates, hangers-on and associated riff-raff, maybe there was a few hundred people in the building so I took a nice cozy seat at the foul line 2 rows off the court.

Each team is announced as they take the floor for their practice time, so when the PA person said: "And, now from the ACC, the Orangemen of Syracuse University," I got the immediate bad karma vibe. But our boys all seemed in good spirits, stretching, running, shooting, jumping and doing whatever it is they do to get ready before the drills begin, so either they didn't hear the announcer's gaffe or they blew it off. JB was chatting with Bill Freider for a while (don't know why he was here) and seemed in good spirits.

I can report that anyone concerned about MCW's ankle need not worry. He was running freely and easily, cutting hard and jumping high. As this was my first time seeing him in person, I had no idea he weighed all of 8 lbs. No wonder air conditioning gusts can blow him over. His legs would get laughed at by toothpicks. Someone should have warned me. On TV he looks like he needs 20 more lbs. In person, it's at least 30 lbs of muscle to flesh him out for the league. Otherwise, he's like tissue paper to those guys.

The guards separated off from the forwards and centers and for a while all I did was watch to see how many, if any, shots MCW, Brandon and Cooney could hit unguarded. It wasn't impressive. This is the best I can say. Gmac, who was running the threesome and walk ons through their paces, was by far the best guard out there, not only the best shooter, but the best everything. He drained, they clanked. MCW, Brandon and Cooney missed the majority of anything they threw at the rim, with MCW being the worst. Nearly all of his shots are flat and wide right with some weird spin on them. They've got no chance to go in. Brandon was leaning in on his attempts (most of them banged off the front rim) and Cooney's ball looks as though it's filled with bricks--he has the anti-shooter's touch.

Maybe it was just an off day shooting for all of them. Let's hope so for tomorrow's sake.

As for the bigs, Coleman looks slimmer in person than on TV. I was surprised by his quick feet but disappointed by his seemingly weak hands. He repeatedly lost the ball in traffic and appeared not to like contact. How can that be? Baye appears to have glue hands by comparison and clearly looked the best of our three centers. He jammed a lot of balls down with his left hand and made it look pretty. As for Rak, he looked disinterested and lethargic, except on the dunking and shot blocking drill when he went nuts, crushing everything in sight and jumping way over the rim. Southerland, to me, has the look of a pro, fit, strong, calm hands, beautiful looking shot. The same goes for CJ, who is easy to miss but just seemed to hit every shot he took, get every rebound in drills and do everything right.

I'm still mystified why Jerami Grant doesn't play. He was outstanding at practice, his shot looks great, he runs, he jumps, he's active, he's long--so please, if anyone understands why he sits--other than Southerland is ahead of him--please enlighten me.

At the end of practice, four guys--MCW, Rak, Brandon and Southerland--took turns at the 1 and 1 with the whole team and coaches watching. All four hit both ends and got big claps from the team.

And finally, I was surprised to see Autry working with the bigs, but then again, he's wide, wide, wide and must be very strong. He looked like he could take any of our guys, bigs and smalls alike, back them down, go around them, shoot over them, stuff them, etc. anytime he wanted to.

And, for the groupies and hangers-on among us, the team is staying at the Hilton, a stone's throw from the arena and a nice place.

I'll try to follow up with some post-game comments tomorrow night. In the meantime F the NCAA.

Good report. Thanks! Way to represent. Did you watch UNLV practice?

Nice post. I love these first hand accounts. Yours also had an authentic, untainted by PRishness feel.

I did watch UNLV. Not much discipline, drills, or anything of that sort. They mostly stood around, talking and laughing. Bennett is huge...a lot like Larry Johnson from back in their glory days. I also saw a bit of Cal, they look small and slight. It's hard to imagine that they could stand up to a physical game.

Grant looks the part for sure but he has seemed lost the past month or so. Missing some rotations and tentative on offense. Hopefully he gets in the game and crashes the glass for some putback dunks or something.

Nice post. I love these first hand accounts. Yours also had an authentic, untainted by PRishness feel.

I've been a business and technology journalist for 30 years--I'm used to going to events and reporting what I saw and heard, and, of course, tuning out PR types.

Nice job Manley! Really great to get an up close peek at the boys in situ on the left coast prior to their biggest game of the year. Much appreciated.

Baye appears to have glue hands by comparison and clearly looked the best of our three centers. He jammed a lot of balls down with his left hand and made it look pretty.
Hang on, I think I passed out for a minute there. Baye has hands?

Watching from the Dome, yes, the players do look more slender in person. Coleman appears quite svelte in his warm up suit, & not so much on TV.

I guess it's true: TV does add 10 pounds

I've been a business and technology journalist for 30 years--I'm used to going to events and reporting what I saw and heard, and, of course, tuning out PR types.

That makes sense. Good stuff.

I'm even more worried about our guards now. Hope they're ready when the lights are on!

As I said in another thread, I love that they mentioned us as being from the ACC. But did they really say "Orangemen"?

There you go again--dating yourself. Not that there's anything wrong with that.;)

Nice job Manley - thank you. I love these type of first hand posts and as mentioned yours had the feel of no bias in it. BMK has been coming on. Surprised about the DC2 comments, hope he can get it together and somehow get a little time.

As for the guards, my optimistic look is to hope these practices bring home the thought that they should be hesitant to launch. I think our game plan should be to go inside early and often. CJ and the guards driving to the hoop should be the focus of the majority of the possessions.

It sounds like MT's bigs are small and depth is a problem there, I hope our game plan exploits that. Did you get to see MT at all? I think if JS doesn't hit early on the 3 you will see Grant in there. Just a numbers game for Grant right now, reports like this just add to the thought that he will be next years MCW.

Gmac, who was running the threesome and walk ons through their paces, was by far the best guard out there, not only the best shooter, but the best everything.
thanks and all for posting, but this is just a ridiculous thing to say, on a number of levels.

thanks and all for posting, but this is just a ridiculous thing to say, on a number of levels.

GMac was having a threesome with our guards - what's so weird about that?

As a left-coaster I haven't seen the team in person all season long so today's practice was my first look at them up close and personal. We practiced at 5 pm PT for an hour, right after UNLV. Aside from players, coaches, officials, affiliates, hangers-on and associated riff-raff, maybe there was a few hundred people in the building so I took a nice cozy seat at the foul line 2 rows off the court.

Each team is announced as they take the floor for their practice time, so when the PA person said: "And, now from the ACC, the Orangemen of Syracuse University," I got the immediate bad karma vibe. But our boys all seemed in good spirits, stretching, running, shooting, jumping and doing whatever it is they do to get ready before the drills begin, so either they didn't hear the announcer's gaffe or they blew it off. JB was chatting with Bill Freider for a while (don't know why he was here) and seemed in good spirits.

I can report that anyone concerned about MCW's ankle need not worry. He was running freely and easily, cutting hard and jumping high. As this was my first time seeing him in person, I had no idea he weighed all of 8 lbs. No wonder air conditioning gusts can blow him over. His legs would get laughed at by toothpicks. Someone should have warned me. On TV he looks like he needs 20 more lbs. In person, it's at least 30 lbs of muscle to flesh him out for the league. Otherwise, he's like tissue paper to those guys.

The guards separated off from the forwards and centers and for a while all I did was watch to see how many, if any, shots MCW, Brandon and Cooney could hit unguarded. It wasn't impressive. This is the best I can say. Gmac, who was running the threesome and walk ons through their paces, was by far the best guard out there, not only the best shooter, but the best everything. He drained, they clanked. MCW, Brandon and Cooney missed the majority of anything they threw at the rim, with MCW being the worst. Nearly all of his shots are flat and wide right with some weird spin on them. They've got no chance to go in. Brandon was leaning in on his attempts (most of them banged off the front rim) and Cooney's ball looks as though it's filled with bricks--he has the anti-shooter's touch.

Maybe it was just an off day shooting for all of them. Let's hope so for tomorrow's sake.

As for the bigs, Coleman looks slimmer in person than on TV. I was surprised by his quick feet but disappointed by his seemingly weak hands. He repeatedly lost the ball in traffic and appeared not to like contact. How can that be? Baye appears to have glue hands by comparison and clearly looked the best of our three centers. He jammed a lot of balls down with his left hand and made it look pretty. As for Rak, he looked disinterested and lethargic, except on the dunking and shot blocking drill when he went nuts, crushing everything in sight and jumping way over the rim. Southerland, to me, has the look of a pro, fit, strong, calm hands, beautiful looking shot. The same goes for CJ, who is easy to miss but just seemed to hit every shot he took, get every rebound in drills and do everything right.

I'm still mystified why Jerami Grant doesn't play. He was outstanding at practice, his shot looks great, he runs, he jumps, he's active, he's long--so please, if anyone understands why he sits--other than Southerland is ahead of him--please enlighten me.

At the end of practice, four guys--MCW, Rak, Brandon and Southerland--took turns at the 1 and 1 with the whole team and coaches watching. All four hit both ends and got big claps from the team.

And finally, I was surprised to see Autry working with the bigs, but then again, he's wide, wide, wide and must be very strong. He looked like he could take any of our guys, bigs and smalls alike, back them down, go around them, shoot over them, stuff them, etc. anytime he wanted to.

And, for the groupies and hangers-on among us, the team is staying at the Hilton, a stone's throw from the arena and a nice place.

I'll try to follow up with some post-game comments tomorrow night. In the meantime F the NCAA.
That Coleman loses the ball so easily in practice as well as games is surprising. Did the coaches say anything to him. Anything at all?? If not they are half the problem right there.:p

"And, now from the ACC, the Orangemen of Syracuse University,"

This is the most awesome gaffes in the history of gaffes.

One of our best guards ever, only in his late 20's and with experience at the next level and way more accomplished than any of our current guards, schools them in every facet of the game in practice. Ridiculous to watch, not ridiculous to say.

because, yeah, a public shootaround obviously = actual practice, which obviously = game situation

Hey great report. Thanks

I wouldn't take anything from a practice as to shooting. Its probably a good thing they couldn't hit anything. Anyone that goes to the Dome early and sees warmups will know that Cooney usually shoots about 90% from 3, Triche 75% and MCW 50%.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I heard that the PA guy was reading from a script that was provided by the NCAA officials on-site.

If that were the case he would have said "And, now being investigated by the NCAA, the Orangemen of Syracuse University."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom