Class of 2017 - ATH Russell Thompson-Bishop (CT) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ATH Russell Thompson-Bishop (CT) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

You're right, all of these guys can't stay at WR, the #'s just won't work. But, they have the size to play Safety too. I'm gonna say that it's an open competition and 1 or 2 eventually slide to D.
yupper

The commitment of Russell Thomson Bishop is significant in that we are adding more WR’s with more speed and the ability to catch the ball to this team. I live in Avon, Ct about 10 miles from Bloomfield High, (remember Dwight Freeney), and was overjoyed to see his name among our recruits for 2017. Now that he has committed I am naturally even happier. First, he is smart in the classroom taking advanced placement classes in just about everything - AP calculus, AP biology, AP English and forensic science. The AP calculus course is two periods or about 90 minutes with an overall grade point average of 3.98 out of 4. A very mature junior who is fulfilling the “New Babers- Wildhack System” quite well. I have watched him play several times. Talk about creating separation – no one was able to cover him. 41 catches this year, some behind him, some one handed, some waiting for the ball. Watching his tape on ….. doesn’t do him justice. With one 4.38 and consistent 4.4 times watched him blow by DB’s in games I attended. Good for DB and for us. This is all coming together very well. Hopefully there will be more information about on the board about him. Great kid and hopefully a great future receiver for SU.
Awesome insight. Thanks for sharing.

We have 16 WR's on the roster right now with 3 graduating seniors and 4 walk-ons.

That means 9 scholarship WR's next year. We have 5 committed and Coley.

Is it me or does he look like Dwight Freeney in the face?

I'd go with a younger Mekhi Phifer:

Mekhi-Phifer-pic-2.jpg

The track times translate to fast. Any kid breaking into the tens is impressive. I think Will Allen was around 11 flat or high 10's at Corcoran and I think Rob Konrad was in the 10's his senior year of high school. The 200 and 400 times are good too which would seem to indicate he isn't just quick but has a good sustained top end too. Think Randy Moss vs Brisley Estime. The jumps aren't that impressive but you can be a great athlete and not jump well because of crappy technique, especially high jump. I'm surprised long jump was so bad but it was only one meet in 9th grade so we can probably just disregard it. If he can can run routes and catch the ball we may have a legit deep threat.
He finished 7th in the 100m and 4th in the 200m in the state finals as a junior.

CIAC Open State Championships - Track & Field Meet

The commitment of Russell Thomson Bishop is significant in that we are adding more WR’s with more speed and the ability to catch the ball to this team. I live in Avon, Ct about 10 miles from Bloomfield High, (remember Dwight Freeney), and was overjoyed to see his name among our recruits for 2017. Now that he has committed I am naturally even happier. First, he is smart in the classroom taking advanced placement classes in just about everything - AP calculus, AP biology, AP English and forensic science. The AP calculus course is two periods or about 90 minutes with an overall grade point average of 3.98 out of 4. A very mature junior who is fulfilling the “New Babers- Wildhack System” quite well. I have watched him play several times. Talk about creating separation – no one was able to cover him. 41 catches this year, some behind him, some one handed, some waiting for the ball. Watching his tape on ….. doesn’t do him justice. With one 4.38 and consistent 4.4 times watched him blow by DB’s in games I attended. Good for DB and for us. This is all coming together very well. Hopefully there will be more information about on the board about him. Great kid and hopefully a great future receiver for SU.
Smart kid too. Based on BillSU's report and offers from Navy and Yale it says something.

From his media day interview today...

Dino: "A lot of our receivers are ex-option running backs. They catch like ex-option running backs." Not ideal. #Cuse

Yep we need real wr's!

Smart kid too. Based on BillSU's report and offers from Navy and Yale it says something.

Well, and he verballed to SU (and not our arch-nemesis University of Syracuse), so clearly he's a genius!! ;)

Yes but that's not what Babers wants. He wants true WR's with hands.
I agree completely. I'm just saying the comment shouldn't be a surprise considering what our offense demanded a year ago (lots of hybrids, aka RBs who can play the slot)

I could see Avant not coming back and Perkins moving back to running back. That would leave Ishmael, Phillips, Womack, Custis, Riley, Butler and Enoicy as scholarship wide receivers. Seven plus the five would give you 12, a number that seems reasonable to me.

I could see Avant not coming back and Perkins moving back to running back. That would leave Ishmael, Phillips, Womack, Custis, Riley, Butler and Enoicy as scholarship wide receivers. Seven plus the five would give you 12, a number that seems reasonable to me.
Why would Avant not come back...

He is one bell ringer away from never playing again

Alot of buying into all the buffer building going on. If you don't want your WR's catching like RB's, don't make your RB's WR's.

Unfortunately the alternative is to clean house. he's just trying to find theme spots so he doesnt have to.

Alot of buying into all the buffer building going on. If you don't want your WR's catching like RB's, don't make your RB's WR's.
Unless he grabbed some juco's, he had no choice but to move Irv and Perk to Wr's. None of them were better than any of our RB's and we need play makers on the field. Next natural thing was to move them to slot until he get his type of receivers here. I know Irv is great in the open field. Not sure how good/consistent he will be at the slot. I havent seen enough of Perk to have an opinion. Babe's will get the most out of the both.

Unless he grabbed some juco's, he had no choice but to move Irv and Perk to Wr's. None of them were better than any of our RB's and we need play makers on the field. Next natural thing was to move them to slot until he get his type of receivers here. I know Irv is great in the open field. Not sure how good/consistent he will be at the slot. I havent seen enough of Perk to have an opinion. Babe's will get the most out of the both.
Unfortunately, I think both those kids are rbs...
Neal is the real deal...:) He will be the change of pace "lightning" back to either Strickland or Fredericks "thunder."
I like Erv, but Moe is just better...