Athletic Department | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Athletic Department

I’m not saying he’s isn’t doing a good job but to say he’s killing it because the renovation was completed is ridiculous. They needed to do something by a certain point or lose the old roof. He didn’t move a mountain he cobbled together roller coaster parts and made a roof. If a new Teflon roof was a bandaid this is one or two steps above it. This wasn’t earth moving, during an arms race they did just enough to keep fair weather fans interested.

the dome renovation is FAR more than just a new roof cobbled together with roller coaster parts. And there’s more to come.

I think there are levels to this.

John Wildhack is doing what his job is at the highest levels. Presidential relationship building, alumni relations & facilities are three of the top priorities in today's AD world. It's funny, but sport program management is almost a secondary concern to the AD these days.

I would say the concerns I have go down to the second, third, and fourth in command. They need to be the people holding programs accountable. And do the dirty work necessary to have the department function at a high level. Though with COVID, it's hard to really give grades on anything right now.

More ramblings... when you have Boeheim, who basically has the keys to the school at this point, and Desko as head coaches, it's difficult to just come in and make sweeping changes. They have had so much success, it is difficult. I think the coaching staff shakeup on the men's lax side was a big step and a sign that change may be coming soon. I would be surprised if Desko is here for more than another year or two. No inside knowledge, just a hunch.

Boeheim has earned the right to go out on his terms, for better or worse. I am not happy with the state of the men's basketball program, but it is what it is. And I'm not sure any AD in the world would have the ability to do anything about it.

Football's performance this year was a disaster, but I am bullish on next year. Hopefully the QB and OL positions can take a leap in the right direction.

We'll see.

Besides the Dome project, hasn't ADJW also gotten the AD financial mess he inherited in order and also rebuilt relations with the Sports Alumni? I don't have any inside sources to the AD but he seems to be doing a solid job. Of course, there are big decisions still to be made and the Lax situation is very concerning.
He’s a decent human that isn't looking for the next job and doesnt make everything about him.

that’s refreshing

He’s a decent human that isn't looking for the next job and doesnt make everything about him.

that’s refreshing
And apparently he is a good shoemaker who can fabricate a dome roof out of an old roller coaster.

I guess that could be my question back as to why people are so confident that he has things under thumb? What has he done other than give money that makes you confident he can do the job? The Dome rebuild was set up before his tenure I think so that isn't a huge mark on his side for me.

Coaching hires are in my opinion his big job and the jury is out, parking lottery was not smooth, we shall see how the e-tickets go. We do know entry into the building for the big games was and is a disaster.

Again he makes his bones for me with coaching hires and since that has not happened that is a big unknown..

And if anyone thinks the Department has looked good in this Scanlan situation - that is just orange tint.
He renewed Dino, which was the right move.

He hasn’t had a chance to do anything with hoops.

What is it, exactly, that would have people down on him? One moron Lax player?

He renewed Dino, which was the right move.

He hasn’t had a chance to do anything with hoops.

What is it, exactly, that would have people down on him? One moron Lax player?
Men’s lax has been trending in the wrong direction. As has men’s basketball. Women’s basketball too. Can’t fire them all and all have different circumstances, but from an outsider’s perspective, there hasn’t been a whole lot of programs getting better under his watch. That is why there is a sense of frustration and a lot of people have their hands up.

Men’s lax has been trending in the wrong direction. As has men’s basketball. Women’s basketball too. Can’t fire them all and all have different circumstances, but from an outsider’s perspective, there hasn’t been a whole lot of programs getting better under his watch. That is why there is a sense of frustration and a lot of people have their hands up.
There are programs that have done quite well during his tenure, but they are Olympic sports that most people don't care about.

I know women's hoops is having a rough offseason, but on the court they've been about the same as they were before JW arrived. That being, a solid tourney team that usually gets bounced in round 2.

Lacrosse was Jeckyl-and-Hyde for a few years before JW showed up, and they've continued that performance.

Men's hoops has been well documented, and I'm not sure any AD would have much impact given the continued presence of James Arthur Boeheim.

I get being frustrated, by some of the programs, I'm just not sure what magic wand JW was supposed to wave to make it better? He's ensured that our coaching staffs are paid market rates, and that our facilities are modern and competitive. Outside of that, what should be done?

There are programs that have done quite well during his tenure, but they are Olympic sports that most people don't care about.

I know women's hoops is having a rough offseason, but on the court they've been about the same as they were before JW arrived. That being, a solid tourney team that usually gets bounced in round 2.

Lacrosse was Jeckyl-and-Hyde for a few years before JW showed up, and they've continued that performance.

Men's hoops has been well documented, and I'm not sure any AD would have much impact given the continued presence of James Arthur Boeheim.

I get being frustrated, by some of the programs, I'm just not sure what magic wand JW was supposed to wave to make it better? He's ensured that our coaching staffs are paid market rates, and that our facilities are modern and competitive. Outside of that, what should be done?
I think there are some Olympic sports that have done well, but since 2016 and his arrival it hasn't been as good as you might think.

Yes, we lost a generational talent in Justyn Knight, plus the head coach, but MXC/WXC finished 6th & 8th in the ACC this year. Again, COVID year, but that isn't good. Let's see where they are this fall.

Men's soccer has been bad the last four years after becoming a top team in the country for a period. Same coach. What's the difference? Women's soccer has been awful since it started, and they just got a new coach, so we'll see.

Field hockey won an NCAA title in 2015. It has been downhill since Wildhack arrived. Same coach. What's the difference?

Women's ice hockey has been the same. Can't speak for rowings. Volleyball has gotten a little better, but hasn't been consistently great. I will say that's the one program that has improved without a doubt since Wildhack came aboard.

That's really it. Football, MBB, WBB are well documented. Big year coming up for all of them.

I think there are some Olympic sports that have done well, but since 2016 and his arrival it hasn't been as good as you might think.

Yes, we lost a generational talent in Justyn Knight, plus the head coach, but MXC/WXC finished 6th & 8th in the ACC this year. Again, COVID year, but that isn't good. Let's see where they are this fall.

Men's soccer has been bad the last four years after becoming a top team in the country for a period. Same coach. What's the difference? Women's soccer has been awful since it started, and they just got a new coach, so we'll see.

Field hockey won an NCAA title in 2015. It has been downhill since Wildhack arrived. Same coach. What's the difference?

Women's ice hockey has been the same. Can't speak for rowings. Volleyball has gotten a little better, but hasn't been consistently great. I will say that's the one program that has improved without a doubt since Wildhack came aboard.

That's really it. Football, MBB, WBB are well documented. Big year coming up for all of them.
That's all fine, so what do you want him to do?

ADJW only using one phone at a time?

1620065087220.png

Jake was a great AD for a different time at Syracuse. He wouldn’t work in 2021.

I know very little of the lax situation but didn’t Desko, the coach, reinstate a player? He’s the coach isn’t that his job?
I have only one question appying to that. Scanlon according to reports and Desko himself was suspended by the athletic Dept., then how exactly does the coach(Desko) reinstate him without approval from the athletic dept.? Seems odd to me and bad messaging if nothing else.

I'm still amazed at the amount of negativity towards the mens BB program after we just finished a sweet 16 run. I wish people would stop feeling entitled. The success of FB in the 80/90s and the disaster that befell it should be a lesson to all that sometimes better than average or pretty good should be good enough.

I'm still amazed at the amount of negativity towards the mens BB program after we just finished a sweet 16 run. I wish people would stop feeling entitled. The success of FB in the 80/90s and the disaster that befell it should be a lesson to all that sometimes better than average or pretty good should be good enough.
Syracuse football faces significant built in recruiting challenges that basketball does not. It’s apples and oranges.

Syracuse football faces significant built in recruiting challenges that basketball does not. It’s apples and oranges.
I understand that. It can also be argued that we were one of the best 16 teams in the country out of 350 schools. Sure you can argue that's BS based on stats, and other stuff. Maybe we don't beat those two teams more than not in a 10 game series, but fact remains we played into the middle rounds of the tournament. As a fan, isn't that what we want? Post-season excitement? I admit I'm much more of a casual fan when it comes to BB but a decent run in the tourney = a pretty decent season IMO

I understand that. It can also be argued that we were one of the best 16 teams in the country out of 350 schools. Sure you can argue that's BS based on stats, and other stuff. Maybe we don't beat those two teams more than not in a 10 game series, but fact remains we played into the middle rounds of the tournament. As a fan, isn't that what we want? Post-season excitement? I admit I'm much more of a casual fan when it comes to BB but a decent run in the tourney = a pretty decent season IMO
As a fan I want to compete for the conference title, and IMO there’s zero good reason that we’ve been unable to do that at all for the last 7 years.

I don’t know where to post this but I think it’s worth noting somewhere. The athletic department is a mess right now and Wildhack has got to clean this mess up.

Between what’s going on with the lax program, women’s basketball, the covid protocol problems for football preseason, not to mention some of the lackluster results of some of the programs.

It also need to be said that under Wildhack the messaging/transparency has been horrendous, there is no sugar coating that. Not just for fans but players finding out serious stuff through the media and not coaches/the athletic department is a bad look. This athletic department has been bad with its messaging, definitive statements, etc...needs to be cleaned up fast.
Why do you think Wildhack could clean this up? He is a large part of the problem.

As a fan I want to compete for the conference title, and IMO there’s zero good reason that we’ve been unable to do that at all for the last 7 years.
That's fair.

I have only one question appying to that. Scanlon according to reports and Desko himself was suspended by the athletic Dept., then how exactly does the coach(Desko) reinstate him without approval from the athletic dept.? Seems odd to me and bad messaging if nothing else.
I tend to doubt that Desko would do anything in a situation like this in a vacuum. Anything he did was vetted by the AD.

Read through this thread for some details and insight into what the University, the AD, and Desko have done, and why.

As a fan I want to compete for the conference title, and IMO there's zero good reason that we’ve been unable to do that at all for the last 7 years.

Whaaaaaat!!! Do I really have to spell it out for you??? Can you say S-A-N-C-T-I-O-N-S!!! ;);):rolleyes:

I tend to doubt that Desko would do anything in a situation like this in a vacuum. Anything he did was vetted by the AD.

Read through this thread for some details and insight into what the University, the AD, and Desko have done, and why.
No thanks already read it and it nowhere answers that question. I did not say he did not have the okay from the athletic dept. but in the press conference no representative of the athletic dept. addressed that issue, at least that I could determine.. Athletics seems to have a problem with messaging, and saying who did what when with whose authority.
If the AD originally suspended, why would the coach change his suspension and if that reinstatement was done at the behest of the AD then just say that.

Last edited:
That's all fine, so what do you want him to do?
I am fine with the job he has done individually in terms of his responsibilities. Alumni support & facilities have improved. People can argue how and why, but they have. He's a nice enough guy, an alum, bleeds Orange like the rest of us, etc..

But there need to be checks and balances. There needs to be accountability for programs not doing what they have the resources to do.

Unless the structure of funding has drastically changed since he has come aboard, the appropriation of resources should not allow for these sorts of decline. And according to this story posted in 2020, looking back at 2018-19 spending, it has not.

Some data:
Field Hockey - $1.8M budget (#3 in country)
Men's Soccer - $2M (#6 in country)
Men's Rowing - $1.9M (#4 in country)
Women's Ice Hockey - $2.5M (#4 in country)
Women's Tennis - $1.5M (#6 in country)
Women's Rowing - $2.6M (#8 in country)
Women's Soccer - $2.1M (#19 in country)
Softball - $2M (#27 in country)

Those are some hefty budgets. Even taking COVID seasons out, these programs are not performing up to the level they should based on their funding (and I'm not mentioning revenue sports because we all know where we are with those).

No thanks already read it and it nowhere answers that question. I did not say he did not have the okay from the athletic dept. but in the press conference no representative of the athletic dept. addressed that issue, at least that I could determine.. Athletics seems to have a problem with messaging, and saying who did what when with whose authority.
If the AD originally suspended, why would the coach change his suspension and if that reinstatement was done at the behest of the AD then just say that.
Again, that question is supposedly (since no one here works for the AD) answered in that thread.

I am fine with the job he has done individually in terms of his responsibilities. Alumni support & facilities have improved. People can argue how and why, but they have. He's a nice enough guy, an alum, bleeds Orange like the rest of us, etc..

But there need to be checks and balances. There needs to be accountability for programs not doing what they have the resources to do.

Unless the structure of funding has drastically changed since he has come aboard, the appropriation of resources should not allow for these sorts of decline. And according to this story posted in 2020, looking back at 2018-19 spending, it has not.

Some data:
Field Hockey - $1.8M budget (#3 in country)
Men's Soccer - $2M (#6 in country)
Men's Rowing - $1.9M (#4 in country)
Women's Ice Hockey - $2.5M (#4 in country)
Women's Tennis - $1.5M (#6 in country)
Women's Rowing - $2.6M (#8 in country)
Women's Soccer - $2.1M (#19 in country)
Softball - $2M (#27 in country)

Those are some hefty budgets. Even taking COVID seasons out, these programs are not performing up to the level they should based on their funding (and I'm not mentioning revenue sports because we all know where we are with those).

So, simply by throwing $ at those programs, we should be really good?

How come Oregon & aTm & Maryland don’t dominate all of college sports then?

Thats just the start.
It’s also the one thing the AD has direct control over.
And he’s doing it.
Would you prefer we slash the funding for those programs?

And really - for an entire P5 sports program for an entire season, is ~$2M really “hefty”?

So, simply by throwing $ at those programs, we should be really good?

How come Oregon & aTm & Maryland don’t dominate all of college sports then?

Thats just the start.
It’s also the one thing the AD has direct control over.
And he’s doing it.
Would you prefer we slash the funding for those programs?

And really - for an entire P5 sports program for an entire season, is ~$2M really “hefty”?
Compared to other programs across the country? Yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom