Athletic Department | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Athletic Department

Whaaaaaat!!! Do I really have to spell it out for you??? Can you say S-A-N-C-T-I-O-N-S!!! ;);):rolleyes:
Well. We’re about to go 9 scholarship players next year. Jimmy belief is guys 10-12 on scholarship will leave due to lack of playing in this transfer portal world. He’s probably right, but he better be perfectly aligned on each of the 9 players he’s going to run with. Because just like during sanctions, he’s cant afford to miss.

I am fine with the job he has done individually in terms of his responsibilities. Alumni support & facilities have improved. People can argue how and why, but they have. He's a nice enough guy, an alum, bleeds Orange like the rest of us, etc..

But there need to be checks and balances. There needs to be accountability for programs not doing what they have the resources to do.

Unless the structure of funding has drastically changed since he has come aboard, the appropriation of resources should not allow for these sorts of decline. And according to this story posted in 2020, looking back at 2018-19 spending, it has not.

Some data:
Field Hockey - $1.8M budget (#3 in country)
Men's Soccer - $2M (#6 in country)
Men's Rowing - $1.9M (#4 in country)
Women's Ice Hockey - $2.5M (#4 in country)
Women's Tennis - $1.5M (#6 in country)
Women's Rowing - $2.6M (#8 in country)
Women's Soccer - $2.1M (#19 in country)
Softball - $2M (#27 in country)

Those are some hefty budgets. Even taking COVID seasons out, these programs are not performing up to the level they should based on their funding (and I'm not mentioning revenue sports because we all know where we are with those).
I'm not sure how to place those numbers in context. There's not any detail on that aspect of it in the article you linked. As others said, given SU's cost of attendance, it's possible that our spending on Olympic sports is fundamentally higher due to scholarship expenses. Or maybe not, I don't know.

I continue to be confused by the "accountability" you mentioned. How does that look? Should JW fire a coach immediately after a relatively disappointing season?

Look, I'm all for having a discussion about the athletic department. I just want to talk specifics.

I'm not sure how to place those numbers in context. There's not any detail on that aspect of it in the article you linked. As others said, given SU's cost of attendance, it's possible that our spending on Olympic sports is fundamentally higher due to scholarship expenses. Or maybe not, I don't know.

I continue to be confused by the "accountability" you mentioned. How does that look? Should JW fire a coach immediately after a relatively disappointing season?

Look, I'm all for having a discussion about the athletic department. I just want to talk specifics.

One thing I can tell you from experience...EVERY school in the country reports team budgets differently and there is really no sure way to know what is included. That is why it is hard to really rank or compare since everyone is different with how they do their accounting.

#FIREALLTHECOACHES

money in a budget is great. But the cost of the Dome is great too.. if you are spending half your budget back to support infrastructure costs its not really helping if another team has 1/2 the budget but 1/10 the support costs..

Aything not fro
Again, that question is supposedly (since no one here works for the AD) answered in that thread.
Anything not attributable to the athletic dept. does not answer the question. The AD merely needs to say they told Desko to reinstate Scanlon until that happens it gives the appearance that Desko did it on his own initiative. You believe, and mayhap even I believe that would not happen, however until something comes from the AD office the messaging suggests Desko overreached. So far I have seen no statement from the AD office that Desko was told to reinstate Scanlon.

Aything not fro

Anything not attributable to the athletic dept. does not answer the question. The AD merely needs to say they told Desko to reinstate Scanlon until that happens it gives the appearance that Desko did it on his own initiative. You believe, and mayhap even I believe that would not happen, however until something comes from the AD office the messaging suggests Desko overreached. So far I have seen no statement from the AD office that Desko was told to reinstate Scanlon.
Which was why I said SUPPOSEDLY.

Every post that gave good reasons for why it is playing out as it is made sense.

Believe it or don't.

Which was why I said SUPPOSEDLY.

Every post that gave good reasons for why it is playing out as it is made sense.

Believe it or don't.
I do not go by supposedly, either the question is answered or it is not, and in this case it is not.

I do not go by supposedly, either the question is answered or it is not, and in this case it is not.
Whatever. You asked a question. I gave you a source.

If you don't like it, go ask the AD yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom