Athletics, University worst I remember | Syracusefan.com

Athletics, University worst I remember

Gross and Cantor are running this great University into the ground. Just to start, I have no affiliation with University other than being an usually proud alumni.

1. Academics are going down hill - rankings are lower than they ever have been
2. Endowment return is one of the worst in the country
3. Tuition has doubled in less than 10 years
4. Can't keep bad headlines out of the news (see basketball program)
5. No spine to stand up for what's right (knee jerk reaction to Coach P's bowl loss, Bernie Fine, ACC move, etc.)
6. Fired the one coach who was great on the field and off (Coach P)
7. Poor budget management, over paying for non-revenue coaches
8. Pretending like the University is in NYC and now Atlanta? (many good schools are in small cities) At least NYC made some sense.

In my opinion, the only thing they are good at is asking for money.

Thank God you have no influence over Syracuse University.

Dr. Gross built our athletic department that was basically a mid major in all but three sports to one of the strongest in the country as far as success for the teams that we have. In the last several years we had our first ever Final Four appearances and first ever number 1 ranking in women's sports. Our first ever rankings in men's and women's cross country. Rankings in tennis and softball and I have a feeling we're going to start seeing success in soccer and volleyball fairly soon. That made us incredibly attractive to the ACC, the best all-sports conference in the country.

And did you forget that Dr. Gross and Dr. Cantor successfully assured our future as a major athletics power?

Cantor is playing a long game with SU. From everything I've seen, our donations are up. The University is expanding and building. The move into the south is imperative for SU's future. I have to wonder if you understand the shifting demographics in the country that make it absolutely necessary for SU to recruit students outside of its traditional areas. Given your complaining about Atlanta, I imagine you would take issue with the SU initiative in LA. You do realize that universities around the country are doing this? Many taking it a step further by opening true campuses abroad.

I've read here from a poster I trust that Dr. Cantor's initiatives could have SU up to a top 30 US News ranking in 10 years. Even if that doesn't work out, SU's core programs have maintained their rankings.

Isn't the current situation an example of applying standards, not relaxing them?