Athlon QB Rankings... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Athlon QB Rankings...

It wouldn't surprise me if his injury history kept him from being ranked higher. In some of the comments they implied that there is considerable room for movement on the list.

lloyd-bridges-airplane-1.jpg

Gonna b hard to land a 2018 coz nobody gonna want to be behind Tommy , it's usually every other year . BTW Tommy is on campus in meetings today and at practice thurs and Saturday to learn what he can
I certainly hope your son is quite a player for us, but I don't think any 2018 QB is thinking about being behind a guy that hasn't taken a practice snap yet.

I am torn with this, i know you cant have too much talent at qb, but there are elite teams like lsu that cant even get 1 qb right. Think we have a nice stable at the moment and definitely dont want to recruit over RC.
I like RC. RC is great. But, if you can get a Pepsi or a Coke, you get a Pepsi or a Coke. These kids know how it works.

I certainly hope your son is quite a player for us, but I don't think any 2018 QB is thinking about being behind a guy that hasn't taken a practice snap yet.
Sure they are. They want to see the field and QB's aren't stupid. They all evaluate what their chances are to see the field at each school. How can they not take into account the future talent that is yet to see the field. Not saying our QB's should scare anyone away as any good team should have similarly talented QB depth. This is the same for any other position.

Since 1999 (the first season post-McNabb) there has been exactly one season where we could confidently enter the year saying we have a QB in the upper third or upper quarter of all FBS QBs, and that was Nassib's senior year in 2012.

That's it, one year out of 17. Since then, our QB play has fluctuated between utterly horrendous and serviceable. For Dungey to be ranked #33 is great news for us.

I think he has the potential to be a Top 15-20 QB nationally.

Last edited:
All Qb recruits size up who is in front of them , we went to spring practice last year before committing to do just that . There's only 1 Qb unlike other positions
Correct me if I am wrong, but every QB knows this. They know that they have to ready when/if the opportunity arrives, because it could happen at any time. So they work their butts off to be the best, and welcome the competition. Would that be accurate in your son's case?

Anywhere you go it's competition no kid is afraid of it but it just makes sense to play the odds .

I would be shocked if Dino didn't take a QB every single year. Will he be able to get another 4-star, I don't know, but I'm sure he will take a kid that he thinks has the ability to start for Syracuse.

As for 2018 QBs not being willing to sign behind a 4-star? I don't see that. Do you see what's happening out there? Good programs are signing blue chip QBs one year after another. Clemson had the #2017 QB, and has a commit from the #1 2018 QB (#1 overall). Georgia just signed a high 4-star QB after their superstar blue chip frosh had a very promising year. FSU signed TWO 4-stars after a pretty promising freshman year from Francois.

I don't think there's a program remaining in the country that is still promising a blue chip QB that they'll space a year in between. He's lucky if he's promised he'll be the only QB in the class.

Now, considering that DeVito is a bit of a cut above your average recent SU QB recruit, it's theoretically possible that Dino did indeed promise that he'd not take a QB next year, and that's how they were able to ink him, but I doubt it. But even in the unlikely event that was the case, that won't be standard operating procedure. You need a QB every year now. Probably even moreso in a system like Dino's where it's not like he's just got to hand it off every down.

I'm sure the goal is to be able to sign another QB that is confident enough of being able to compete with a 4-star. Especially since the 2017 isn't really going to be able to establish himself on the field next year if Dungey stays healthy. A good 2018 probably would like his chances as a redshirt freshman vs a redshirt sophomore, since neither would have much under their belt as far a snaps...pretty even fight there.

I would be shocked if Dino didn't take a QB every single year. Will he be able to get another 4-star, I don't know, but I'm sure he will take a kid that he thinks has the ability to start for Syracuse.

As for 2018 QBs not being willing to sign behind a 4-star? I don't see that. Do you see what's happening out there? Good programs are signing blue chip QBs one year after another. Clemson had the #2017 QB, and has a commit from the #1 2018 QB (#1 overall). Georgia just signed a high 4-star QB after their superstar blue chip frosh had a very promising year. FSU signed TWO 4-stars after a pretty promising freshman year from Francois.

I don't think there's a program remaining in the country that is still promising a blue chip QB that they'll space a year in between. He's lucky if he's promised he'll be the only QB in the class.

Now, considering that DeVito is a bit of a cut above your average recent SU QB recruit, it's theoretically possible that Dino did indeed promise that he'd not take a QB next year, and that's how they were able to ink him, but I doubt it. But even in the unlikely event that was the case, that won't be standard operating procedure. You need a QB every year now. Probably even moreso in a system like Dino's where it's not like he's just got to hand it off every down.

I'm sure the goal is to be able to sign another QB that is confident enough of being able to compete with a 4-star. Especially since the 2017 isn't really going to be able to establish himself on the field next year if Dungey stays healthy. A good 2018 probably would like his chances as a redshirt freshman vs a redshirt sophomore, since neither would have much under their belt as far a snaps...pretty even fight there.

All good points, but keep in mind, TD saw the light at Cuse. His primary attraction was yes, the offense, but also the sequencing of ED's eligibility was a huge factor in his decision. Knowing that he can compete for the job right away and take away and take the job away from ED in his junior year, or at worst, take a shirt and go at ED his senior year. Worst case scenario : 3 years of potentially being our starter. 2018 recruits , unless Highly talented and confident, will realize this. Heck, there are schools in the SEC that would kill for our qb situation as it stands now.

Everybody acts as if TD can't win the job this summer ... it's ok everybody is entitled to there opinion but don't be shocked if it happens that's all I'm saying

Best for Cuse is Dungey goes out an NFL QB to be followed by many more...hopefully Rex and TD get their chances too.

The starting job? Yes, I for one would be shocked. That is not a knock on Tommy as much as it is my confidence in Eric.

Yeah, got to understand that that is NOT a knock against TD. If anything, we over value talent here, a lot of us are already thinking that he's going to win multiple hiesmans and take us to the promise land... It's just the orange sun glasses we wear lol. Alllllll things equal, at the very least, it's experience in the system. Dino himself has talked about the progression and learning curve his system requires (from the moment he walked through the door). So, even if TD came in and is a better QB, right now, Dungeys soph year in the system is VERY hard to over come. TD will be the guy, eventually.

It will come down to if Tommy can prove he knows the system and can run it at that Speed

Unless ED gets injured the very best thing for your son would be to RS. He will get off to a great start academically, be able to concentrate on building his body, and learn the system. Too many talented HS QBs get ruined by being forced into action too soon.

3350 yards passing, 20 Td's, 7 int's
Oh what it must be like to be the "other half" of football fans.

Personally, I am not going to get all hyped up about a freshman QB coming into the program. I do NOT think that TD has any chance of beating out ED. Great HS player but, so was ED and Rex. I am pretty confident that ED will be the starter the next two years and that Rex has a strong possibility to be the starter after ED is gone.

Personally, I am not going to get all hyped up about a freshman QB coming into the program. I do NOT think that TD has any chance of beating out ED. Great HS player but, so was ED and Rex. I am pretty confident that ED will be the starter the next two years and that Rex has a strong possibility to be the starter after ED is gone.

Very possible. The thing that is important to remember is that this is all about competition. The best guy will play and moving forward, that should be a pretty good QB for SU. This healthy competition is great. Keep the great QBs coming. Maybe a few transfer but that is life at a major P5 program. I am thrilled we have joined that category. No longer are we just hoping for a savior.

We are in a different age than the days of Cam Dantley v. Andrew Robinson.