Athlon QB Rankings... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Athlon QB Rankings...

Bit of history:

We had Hunt coming back after a decent run through the ACC, and a win vs Minny in the Texas bowl. A 3-4* QB talked a lot about being the guy and taking the job from him. It really, really made his job harder in that the guys on the team saw Hunt as their leader even if the young guy was ok.

Not saying the talent is comparable. ED and TD are both much, much better AND the scheme is roughy a million times better. But, I will say - there is a lesson in respecting the work the older guys have put in, even if you think you're better. I mean ED literally willed his way to the VaTech win after getting pummeled and leaving for a series.

Competition is good. But hopefully it generates respect that goes both ways.

No such thing as a savior it takes a team especially an O line that's our key how will the O line be ?

This thread has somehow started to mirror the same conversation as the TD thread over on the recruiting side...

This thread has somehow started to mirror the same conversation as the TD thread over on the recruiting side...
What is the common denominator?

Bit of history:

We had Hunt coming back after a decent run through the ACC, and a win vs Minny in the Texas bowl. A 3-4* QB talked a lot about being the guy and taking the job from him. It really, really made his job harder in that the guys on the team saw Hunt as their leader even if the young guy was ok.

Not saying the talent is comparable. ED and TD are both much, much better AND the scheme is roughy a million times better. But, I will say - there is a lesson in respecting the work the older guys have put in, even if you think you're better. I mean ED literally willed his way to the VaTech win after getting pummeled and leaving for a series.

Competition is good. But hopefully it generates respect that goes both ways.

I agree with the respect part. Better talent + bad attitude is definitely a recipe for locker room problems. If the coaches can't manage that, it'll be on them.

But in general, I think players respect who puts them in a position to win. I think there is near zero chance of someone beating out Dungey, but if someone does give them a better chance to win and yet doesn't start out of "respect" for a veteran, that becomes a huge problem. Seen that one before. Best player plays is rarely the wrong approach.

But it's such a moot point given the guy you've got coming back.

I think this is wise and don't understand why more don't do it. You have some great college athletes sitting the bench for 3-4 years just so they can sign with the biggest name.
Anywhere you go it's competition no kid is afraid of it but it just makes sense to play the odds .

I think this is wise and don't understand why more don't do it. You have some great college athletes sitting the bench for 3-4 years just so they can sign with the biggest name.

I have to say, even though this is against trend, that I'm a little surprised that it doesn't happen more. Considering that everyone plays on TV now, and the scouts will find you anywhere, I'm a bit surprised you don't see more kids that can really sling it going to second tier schools where they can get in and start playing and have three years of starts before going to the pros. Look at some of these high prospects that have bounced around trying to find a good spot...I wonder how many would have been fine if they'd just been able to make 10 starts in a row. Some are a little slower adjusting.

I'm going to guess these are the reasons:
1) Better quarterback coaching at the premier institutions
2) Better nutrition, facilities, training, tutoring, etc. How much more "support staff" do you have to help you develop
3) Better lines/supporting cast
4) NFL track record...as long as MOST of the big QB prospects are still coming from the tier one programs, that will outweigh the outlier from Memphis or Western Michigan
5) Grad transfer rule...nice fallback if it doesn't work out, and as long as you hit the books, two years to play
6) General A+++ competitiveness, wanting to play on the biggest stage, teenage hubris

I guess you'd have to have the opportunity to be recruited by a Clemson or Ohio State and a Central Michigan and Purdue to really appreciate what they lay out there for you.

If I had to guess...I bet it's in #1 and #2. I bet what some of the top programs promise in training, technology, staffing as far a your quarterback development is just impossible to compete with for a school with lesser resources.

Syracuse is in a great spot though to be a good midrange option...major conference and opponents, dome conditions, appealing offense. If Dungey can make an impact in the draft, that would be huge.

And by the way...what a change for the ACC in that list, huh? Going to be an interesting year. If that list had been made at the end of last season, the ACC would have had what, six or seven in the top 30?

Lot of unknowns for sure.

I'm interested to see the QB play, and whether the ACC can establish itself as THE place for QBs, especially in the East, or if it was just a confluence of a lot of really good players at the same time. I think there is some opportunity for the ACC to establish itself as a QB destination, for a lot of factors. Slightly less brutal defensive lines than the SEC, more QB friendly offenses than the SEC (although that's changing), better weather than the B1G, etc. Considering the resource differences between the SEC and B1G, if the ACC could establish itself as the quarterback conference, that would go a long way toward equalizing things.

If the conference gets some noteworthy play from many of these new faces, it's going be very interesting.

The best player for the best combo of our offensive unit will start at season's open. Everyone will benefit from the competition and we will be a better team because of it. I trust Dino, entirely, to make the right calls and continue building a family of our team.

Rescigno was a 2 star no other offer prospect added a week before signing day in Flood's 2014 class that completely imploded. That fact that he was actually starting last year I think is indicative of how lousy their QB situation is.

Didn't they have a bunch of qbs on their roster last year?

With the schedule we are facing this year, if any QB other than Dungey has to start more than a game or 2 then we are looking at another brutal W-L record. Just looking to get through this season with some positive momentum and carry it into 2018 when we are looking at a realistic shot of 7 or 8 wins if guys develop like we hope. If everything turns up best case scenario this year and we sneak into a bowl game, all the better.

As far as recruiting QBs and them looking at the depth chart. I don't believe that happens as much as you would think that it does. The Elite guys every year are going to the same dozen or so schools regardless of who's there. Georgia has Jacob frickin' Eason there who was the #1 QB in the country and started every game but 1 last year and looked great and still managed to bring in another Jake (Fromm) who was another top 3 QB. Best kids are going to the national powers no matter what the depth chart looks like and then they move on from there. Think Alabama lost 3 top 10 QB recruits in the past 8 months to transfer, but who cares when you have Hurts as a freshman and the #1 QB in the country coming in this year.

Rettig and Laviano both took grad transfers, so subtract 2.

Subtract 3 as QB Mike Dare transferred as well. Hey look, Zach Allen just moved up the depth chart!

With the schedule we are facing this year, if any QB other than Dungey has to start more than a game or 2 then we are looking at another brutal W-L record. Just looking to get through this season with some positive momentum and carry it into 2018 when we are looking at a realistic shot of 7 or 8 wins if guys develop like we hope. If everything turns up best case scenario this year and we sneak into a bowl game, all the better.

As far as recruiting QBs and them looking at the depth chart. I don't believe that happens as much as you would think that it does. The Elite guys every year are going to the same dozen or so schools regardless of who's there. Georgia has Jacob frickin' Eason there who was the #1 QB in the country and started every game but 1 last year and looked great and still managed to bring in another Jake (Fromm) who was another top 3 QB. Best kids are going to the national powers no matter what the depth chart looks like and then they move on from there. Think Alabama lost 3 top 10 QB recruits in the past 8 months to transfer, but who cares when you have Hurts as a freshman and the #1 QB in the country coming in this year.

Disagree to an extent. It really depends on how much of a challenge TD is to ED. If he legit challenges him and is a 1B or a clear #2? The upside isn't quite as high, but the downside isn't that much different. Most of our really challenging games are on the road.

At this point a healthy ED is obviously the safest bet. Just wouldn't write off the season if TD is as good as Babers thinks he is.

Disagree to an extent. It really depends on how much of a challenge TD is to ED. If he legit challenges him and is a 1B or a clear #2? The upside isn't quite as high, but the downside isn't that much different. Most of our really challenging games are on the road.

At this point a healthy ED is obviously the safest bet. Just wouldn't write off the season if TD is as good as Babers thinks he is.
Unseating ED is very unlikely but IMHO, TD could legitimately win the #2 spot on the depth chart. That alone would be a huge accomplishment but, maybe more importantly, he would be involved in the game planning and travel with the team.

Unseating ED is very unlikely but IMHO, TD could legitimately win the #2 spot on the depth chart. That alone would be a huge accomplishment but, maybe more importantly, he would be involved in the game planning and travel with the team.

I'm going to assume that he's going to be traveling all season pretty much without question if only to get up to speed and experience everything possible this year.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any point where a true freshman came in an unseated a 2 year starter who had showed promise and was still ascending. Might get a guy like Beuchele coming in and winning the job over Swoopes at Texas last year but thats apples/oranges to our situation.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any point where a true freshman came in an unseated a 2 year starter who had showed promise and was still ascending. Might get a guy like Beuchele coming in and winning the job over Swoopes at Texas last year but thats apples/oranges to our situation.

I didn't say unseat him - I don't think that's likely. I was saying that it depends on how much of a challenge he gives him. What if we start hearing summer rumblings that he's giving Eric all he can handle, but Dino is going to go with experience and make TD his #2? I wouldn't be so confident in a "brutal w/l record"...

If TD is challenging ED over the summer - he and this system can still beat Wake, BC, Central Mich, MTS, Central Conn State and maybe PITT at home. Our chances of beating LSU, Clemson, and FSU are dim anyways.

Like I said, I'd feel like our ceiling is higher with ED. But TD is the wildcard.

When was the last time we had someone as good as ED, with a recruit as well thought of as TD sitting behind him? 90's?

I have to say, even though this is against trend, that I'm a little surprised that it doesn't happen more. Considering that everyone plays on TV now, and the scouts will find you anywhere, I'm a bit surprised you don't see more kids that can really sling it going to second tier schools where they can get in and start playing and have three years of starts before going to the pros. Look at some of these high prospects that have bounced around trying to find a good spot...I wonder how many would have been fine if they'd just been able to make 10 starts in a row. Some are a little slower adjusting.

I'm going to guess these are the reasons:
1) Better quarterback coaching at the premier institutions
2) Better nutrition, facilities, training, tutoring, etc. How much more "support staff" do you have to help you develop
3) Better lines/supporting cast
4) NFL track record...as long as MOST of the big QB prospects are still coming from the tier one programs, that will outweigh the outlier from Memphis or Western Michigan
5) Grad transfer rule...nice fallback if it doesn't work out, and as long as you hit the books, two years to play
6) General A+++ competitiveness, wanting to play on the biggest stage, teenage hubris

I guess you'd have to have the opportunity to be recruited by a Clemson or Ohio State and a Central Michigan and Purdue to really appreciate what they lay out there for you.

If I had to guess...I bet it's in #1 and #2. I bet what some of the top programs promise in training, technology, staffing as far a your quarterback development is just impossible to compete with for a school with lesser resources.

Syracuse is in a great spot though to be a good midrange option...major conference and opponents, dome conditions, appealing offense. If Dungey can make an impact in the draft, that would be huge.

Alot of good points, the NFL finds players from anywhere. The sex appeal of the big programs on big tv, big conference , coaches connected to the league, etc will never get old to recruits. We are in a leverage position being in a p5 conference, offensive coach, cool factor, and the chance for early playing time and exposure. Huge. That said, the TD thread got locked bc of comments about kids opportunities, redshirting, etc. Care taker thought it would be a huge program marketing jump if TD went 6-6 with a bowl rather than ED. thing is TD couldn't go 6-6. Learning this system in a few months and performing in the fall. He needs a shirt, not a bad thing. ED is our qb dt talent and exposure with dinos offense for 12+ months.

This is what summer ball's for. Let the best man win. We shouldn't be arguing, we should all be salivating at the fact that we've clearly begun to touch on the prominence at the QB position that Dino's system had us believing in.

2017 is where things are going to start getting interesting.

This is what summer ball's for. Let the best man win. We shouldn't be arguing, we should all be salivating at the fact that we've clearly begun to touch on the prominence at the QB position that Dino's system had us believing in.

*2017* is where things are going to start getting interesting.

PSSST!! Might want to flip over a few pages on your calendar :p