Attack | Syracusefan.com

Attack

ivorytower

Starter
Players were raving about Hiltz abilities in fall and he showed why. Didnt look the part trotting onto field but he can really play. His decisions and composure were that of an experienced vet . His shooting, passing and riding were even better than hoped for. His ability to launch missiles , to spot and throw accurate skips to sticks, to seamlessly integrate his skills within team flow in both settled sets or running was impressive . His abilities will influence and spread the field for all six offensive players on field.

Refhuss had more freedom to display his entire skillset. Thee goals, three assists on seven shots which is a career high. Threat of Hiltz created additional space for Refhuss to operate and launch his unorthodox shot off his unusual routes. Enjoyed watching a more assertive Refhuss and believe its beneficial to all when he can.,

Two games in .Not worried about Scanlan output at all .He's nowhere as threatening to defenders as our first line mids but he's established , a top level finisher in flow whenever opportunity presents. inherent pressures of wearing #22 especially given talent of several others . He may be pressing some given some placements but Rode also made a couple of good stops on him More worried about him maintaining focus and contributing in all facets. He showed great effort in his rides and made two skip passes that resulted in goals though only credited with one assist. He's a good player.

Cook will be that sparkplug off bench and add energy and versatility.

Dodging . Attack and mids getting more interchangeable these days .UVA plays six attackman but it was Cuse that had the better game plan of inverting . Know Curry is a mid but he's still our best dodger at attack and passes well to cutters . Seebold and Ferris also showed abilty to use large bodies to get off shots when inverting . Scanalan or Hiltz in those sets can easily slip up top for kick outs. Would expect inverts to be seen more frequently since it has been effective when employed.

Unfortunately for Cook, Hiltz was kind of a monster on the ride, the one area where I thought Cook would have him beat. Nobody will ever match Cooks hustle, but Hiltz had some really nice checks to dislodge the ball against both short sticks and long poles. Then you add the shooting range, the deception, and the quick release. With all the dodging power in the mids, Rehfuss' effectiveness feeding from x/Scanlan's ability with skip passes, not to mention all the inverting we are doing with guys on both middie lines, what we really need is someone like him who can both blast it from the outside and finish in close as well when the time comes. Cook just does not bring that shooting to the table. The range isn't as strong, there is severe telegraphing, and he just never seems to bury inside. That outside shot alone will keep Hiltz on the field and we are yet to see his ceiling as a dodger and passer in the 6 on 6 settled offense.

Also as an aside since there are more important things than shooting speed once you reach a certain point, but Hiltz, Curry, and Dordevic all seem to be pushing Tre Leclaire/Ted Glesener levels of warp speed on their outside shots. That ball is humming. Very curious what the radar gun would read after a couple of those shots on Saturday.

Unfortunately for Cook, Hiltz was kind of a monster on the ride, the one area where I thought Cook would have him beat. Nobody will ever match Cooks hustle, but Hiltz had some really nice checks to dislodge the ball against both short sticks and long poles. Then you add the shooting range, the deception, and the quick release. With all the dodging power in the mids, Rehfuss' effectiveness feeding from x/Scanlan's ability with skip passes, not to mention all the inverting we are doing with guys on both middie lines, what we really need is someone like him who can both blast it from the outside and finish in close as well when the time comes. Cook just does not bring that shooting to the table. The range isn't as strong, there is severe telegraphing, and he just never seems to bury inside. That outside shot alone will keep Hiltz on the field and we are yet to see his ceiling as a dodger and passer in the 6 on 6 settled offense.

Also as an aside since there are more important things than shooting speed once you reach a certain point, but Hiltz, Curry, and Dordevic all seem to be pushing Tre Leclaire/Ted Glesener levels of warp speed on their outside shots. That ball is humming. Very curious what the radar gun would read after a couple of those shots on Saturday.
I have noticed the same regarding velocity of shots this year. Especially for Dordevic he is absolutely slinging it so far.

Unfortunately for Cook, Hiltz was kind of a monster on the ride, the one area where I thought Cook would have him beat. Nobody will ever match Cooks hustle, but Hiltz had some really nice checks to dislodge the ball
Beat me to it- I was disappointed that Cook would end up as 4th attack this year after watching him drive goalies crazy last year, but Hiltz obviously has a mosquito-like ride in his quiver as well.

Who steps in from the Bench especially as Seebold and Cook is on the 2nd midfield (for now) who is next in line? Berkman?

Who steps in from the Bench especially as Seebold and Cook is on the 2nd midfield (for now) who is next in line? Berkman?
Ferris maybe. Berkman still recovering from the ACL injury I would presume. That was last year, no?

swing reminds of a good golf swing, short flat backswing, hip and shoulder turn to direct the left hip and shoulder to the goal on the follow through with the stick head turned past the right shoulder. I'll bet he could play excellent golf.

Ferris maybe. Berkman still recovering from the ACL injury I would presume. That was last year, no?
Based solely on UVA game rotation and the way Seebold played Saturday, I would think Cook would be first in at attack, followed by Ferris. Don't know Berkman status.

From that second line middie rotation for the third guy, my recollection was Seebold got the most runs, followed by Cook, then Ferris. I could be off.

Five guys played on the second line, I’d expect one of those guys

Rhefuss looked a lot more confident against UVA. Even before he started scoring, he looked to be more decisive and a lot less pensive, not shying away from contact and probing the defense instead of passing the ball off quickly. Dont remember him scoring off the dodge, but he chose his moments well and he's very smart in transition. He probably should have had another goal but Scanlan chose to shoot himself rather than giving his teammate an easier look. Also, it may just be me, but he looks noticeably bigger than the last few years. The extra strength should help him go against the defenders he can't just run by. He's needed to add an extra dimension to his game for a while now, and it appears now he might have done it. Already has more shots this year in two games (11) than he did all of the five games last year (9).

Hiltz was really impressive, that shot he has is really something. Not only the power and quick release he has, but his placement is really quite scary. He made some not so great passes in the Army game, one to the crease that got knocked down easily, and a head scratching bounce pass late in the game, but I think as time goes on you'll see more skip passes and "wow" looks. Other players mentioned it, but he does not look like a rookie at all.

Agree with others, Scanlan will get there. According to Desko he had six goals in the inter-squad scrimmage played not that long ago. Don't think he's lost whatever made him special nor has he been "figured out". Think he just needs to relax and play within the offense.

Overall just a very interesting offense, with two attackmen that are best on the wings/crease (Hiltz, Scanlan) and up to three midfielders who are very comfortable inverting (Dordevic, Curry and Seebold). This offense is built to exploit matchups, and its not as simple as "find the shortsticks". They certainly do that, but can attack from anywhere on the field. They don't have a Sowers, or Gray or Moore, but they also won't fall apart if just that one player is shut down.

I am curious and excited too about some of these younger players - it was only two shifts but I thought Ferris looked like he had "it". Big, fast and carried the ball like a vet. Would like to see more of him. Not sure where Cook fits in but can't hurt to have an energy guy like him to come off the bench. Also, don't think we'll see him this season because of injury, but curious how Brett Tenaglia would have fit in, it sounds like he would have been another good invert option.

As I recall at the start of the season last year that there was much more goal scoring from Trimboli and Scanlon. Both have been relatively quiet to start this year but have scored when given the chance. Hard to get nervous about the lack of production from a couple guys when the team has scored 31 goals in two games. As the season goes we will get production from many players.

In other overeacting news, I wonder if Hiltz will take #22 when he is a Senior. Have we offered it to anyone else in recruiting?

As I recall at the start of the season last year that there was much more goal scoring from Trimboli and Scanlon. Both have been relatively quiet to start this year but have scored when given the chance. Hard to get nervous about the lack of production from a couple guys when the team has scored 31 goals in two games. As the season goes we will get production from many players.

In other overeacting news, I wonder if Hiltz will take #22 when he is a Senior. Have we offered it to anyone else in recruiting?

Rhefuss looked a lot more confident against UVA. Even before he started scoring, he looked to be more decisive and a lot less pensive, not shying away from contact and probing the defense instead of passing the ball off quickly. Dont remember him scoring off the dodge, but he chose his moments well and he's very smart in transition. He probably should have had another goal but Scanlan chose to shoot himself rather than giving his teammate an easier look. Also, it may just be me, but he looks noticeably bigger than the last few years. The extra strength should help him go against the defenders he can't just run by. He's needed to add an extra dimension to his game for a while now, and it appears now he might have done it. Already has more shots this year in two games (11) than he did all of the five games last year (9).

Hiltz was really impressive, that shot he has is really something. Not only the power and quick release he has, but his placement is really quite scary. He made some not so great passes in the Army game, one to the crease that got knocked down easily, and a head scratching bounce pass late in the game, but I think as time goes on you'll see more skip passes and "wow" looks. Other players mentioned it, but he does not look like a rookie at all.

Agree with others, Scanlan will get there. According to Desko he had six goals in the inter-squad scrimmage played not that long ago. Don't think he's lost whatever made him special nor has he been "figured out". Think he just needs to relax and play within the offense.

Overall just a very interesting offense, with two attackmen that are best on the wings/crease (Hiltz, Scanlan) and up to three midfielders who are very comfortable inverting (Dordevic, Curry and Seebold). This offense is built to exploit matchups, and its not as simple as "find the shortsticks". They certainly do that, but can attack from anywhere on the field. They don't have a Sowers, or Gray or Moore, but they also won't fall apart if just that one player is shut down.

I am curious and excited too about some of these younger players - it was only two shifts but I thought Ferris looked like he had "it". Big, fast and carried the ball like a vet. Would like to see more of him. Not sure where Cook fits in but can't hurt to have an energy guy like him to come off the bench. Also, don't think we'll see him this season because of injury, but curious how Brett Tenaglia would have fit in, it sounds like he would have been another good invert option.
agree about Rehfuss. He looked bigger and there was a calm intelligence to his play. Good post.

I wonder how Russ Maher (freshman attack at UVA) felt on Sunday after their loss? He Decommitted from Syracuse.

I wonder how Russ Maher (freshman attack at UVA) felt on Sunday after their loss? He Decommitted from Syracuse.
Probably not great considering he was on the team that lost by 10. But probably no different than any of his teammates.

Dont remember him scoring off the dodge, but he chose his moments well and he's very smart in transition.

Correction, rewatched the game and Rhefuss runs by his defender at x and shoots over the goalie’s shoulder for a goal. I stand corrected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom