Auburn/ Georgia | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Auburn/ Georgia

A little perspective from someone who has lived 45 years in Georgia and currently lives outside the Atlanta area but near Athens. First regarding the population. Athens is definitely a college town and has no city vibe like Syracuse. It does have a 127K population, but that includes everyone living in Clarke County, Georgia, because Athens and Clarke County have a unified government and boundary (however, Georgia counties are smaller than New York counties and Clarke County is one of the smaller ones - much smaller geographically than Onondaga County).
Secondly, Georgia football games draw many folks from metro Atlanta, but it also draws many folks from every city and town in the state, metro and rural, so you get a real cross-section of the state at every game. To the extent that folks do not follow protocol, a lot of spreading could occur.
[/QUOTE]
Tickets are only being given to students and major donors.

l have lived in the South since the 1999 US Open in Pinehurst (never left!). NC for 19 years and now SC 2 years.
There is a big difference between the 2. NC is ACC country while SC is SEC.

North Carolina is a purple state for national elections. South Carolina is as red as it gets.

NC cities like Charlotte and even Raleigh are fairly moderate. NC has 100 counties mostly rural and very conservative Trump country. NC legislature is Republican.

NC Lt Gov (R) sued Democrat Gov Roy Cooper over his Covid restrictions. (Later dropped.)

We live near the state line and can report that masks are much more prevelant in NC than here in SC.

On Friday restaurants will go to 100% occupancy. Stay tuned.
It all depends where in NC you live.

They are only allowing 20-25% attendance at games and the announced crowd was 20,504. The stadium holds almost 93,0000.
So I’m not sure why people would have a problem with this. They’re within mandated capacity, outside, and probably made to wear masks when not seated. Just like any restaurant etc.

Covid cases per capita:

1.Louisiana
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. North Dakota
6. Georgia
7. Arizona
8. South Carolina
9. Tennessee
10. Iowa
11. Arkansa
12. Texas
13. South Dakota
14. Nevada
15. New York

NY tests more than all of these states both total tests and tests per capita.

If you look at the data excluding March and April (that is Covid data since May; since June; or since July) then you see that once NY flattened the curve by mid-May these other states started to see surging viral spread, especially after Memorial Day weekend. Many of these states simply ignored the painful lessons that we learned in the Northeast during March and April.

I am, however, glad we have college football. Let's hope it remains safe and that we see a complete season.

Covid cases per capita:

1.Louisiana
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. North Dakota
6. Georgia
7. Arizona
8. South Carolina
9. Tennessee
10. Iowa
11. Arkansa
12. Texas
13. South Dakota
14. Nevada
15. New York

NY tests more than all of these states both total tests and tests per capita.

If you look at the data excluding March and April (that is Covid data since May; since June; or since July) then you see that once NY flattened the curve by mid-May these other states started to see surging viral spread, especially after Memorial Day weekend. Many of these states simply ignored the painful lessons that we learned in the Northeast during March and April.

I am, however, glad we have college football. Let's hope it remains safe and that we see a complete season.
The SEC finally achieved the dominance they have been pining for. Congrats to them!

A little perspective from someone who has lived 45 years in Georgia and currently lives outside the Atlanta area but near Athens. First regarding the population. Athens is definitely a college town and has no city vibe like Syracuse. It does have a 127K population, but that includes everyone living in Clarke County, Georgia, because Athens and Clarke County have a unified government and boundary (however, Georgia counties are smaller than New York counties and Clarke County is one of the smaller ones - much smaller geographically than Onondaga County).
Secondly, Georgia football games draw many folks from metro Atlanta, but it also draws many folks from every city and town in the state, metro and rural, so you get a real cross-section of the state at every game. To the extent that folks do not follow protocol, a lot of spreading could occur.
[/QUOTE]
I get it. I've lived in Knoxville, TN for 12 years and have passed through your area many times. As I said in a previous post, I doubt the crowd at yesterday's game was typical. Given the crowd restrictions, most were probably the bigger donors/wealthier that were given first shot at tickets, so likely slanted more toward the suburb population.

Nobody was arguing the feel of the town. Just that the stereotype that everyone at the game is likely not exposed to that many people becaue they live in the country.

No. That's up to the governor of each state. SEC can only allow what the state allows.
Also, the schools could disallow attendance, enforce masks, further limit attendance, etc.
The schools can only allow as much as each governor allows, but the conference can also choose to be stricter than the state. That's how the ACC is choosing to act.

l have lived in the South since the 1999 US Open in Pinehurst (never left!). NC for 19 years and now SC 2 years.
There is a big difference between the 2. NC is ACC country while SC is SEC.

North Carolina is a purple state for national elections. South Carolina is as red as it gets.

NC cities like Charlotte and even Raleigh are fairly moderate. NC has 100 counties mostly rural and very conservative Trump country. NC legislature is Republican.

NC Lt Gov (R) sued Democrat Gov Roy Cooper over his Covid restrictions. (Later dropped.)

We live near the state line and can report that masks are much more prevelant in NC than here in SC.

On Friday restaurants will go to 100% occupancy. Stay tuned.
I believe that’s a really bad idea, Binghamton , is having a big surge with positive tests at 30 % plus in our zip code on the West Side. Traced to 3 or 4 pubs . It then spider webbed from there and were having difficulty bringing it down . That with 50 % capacity. ( I’m sure that was abused) So stay safe and good luck.

So I’m not sure why people would have a problem with this. They’re within mandated capacity, outside, and probably made to wear masks when not seated. Just like any restaurant etc.

Exactly, and its outside. We need to open up a bit, and no news following games thus far and no news is good news. Knock on wood. Unfortunately, with the dome and our czar governor, we will be the last to entertain fans.

Facts and evidence have no place in 2020. :cool:

I thought both Georgia and Alabama did a much better job separating fans than what I saw watching the Iowa State game. All three of those states have had much more viral spread these past few months than NY state has had, so I think the coaches and ADs etc. at those schools have done a great job so far keeping the virus out of those football programs.

I also think the student-athlete football players deserve a ton of credit. During a normal year they work their butts of pretty much year-round. This year they are working just as hard while also living inside a bubble or near-bubble like conditions. Every year they put their bodies on the line. This year they are putting their lungs etc. on the line as well. As far as college football is concerned the student-athletes are being heroic.

Last edited:
Exactly, and its outside. We need to open up a bit, and no news following games thus far and no news is good news. Knock on wood. Unfortunately, with the dome and our czar governor, we will be the last to entertain fans.

Im sure we’d all love to see the Dome rocking. When Kershaw came out after pitching 8 shutout innings, it sucked to not see a sellout crowd give a standing O.

But ultimately I have no problem with playing it cautious and playing the long game here because those cool moments just aren’t that important compared to the potential consequences. Theyll be back. There’s no real great reason to rush it. Just IMO.

At least we’ve got the games to watch, still.

You got some “likes” for the first time ever. Good for you!

Least we know what the new excuse will be for fair weather fans in this town to not go the games will be instead of raking leaves when fans are allowed back in the dome. I will be there along with my fellow friends and fans I go with.

You certainly have one of the more impressive like ratios on the board.

I know we've never met, and I'm not so much in the clique, but can you still please sign my yearbook? Like, OMG! Thanks!

I know we've never met, and I'm not so much in the clique, but can you still please sign my yearbook? Like, OMG! Thanks!

I mean...CuseRunner is the one who brought up likes. He deserves to catch a little flack for it. Who the heck brings up “likes”, and is apparently serious about it?

I live in the Atlanta suburbs and know a lot of folks with kids that go to UGA - they say that the town / student population is rampant with COVID and most of the kids don't get tested or report it even if they get sick and believe they have it b/c they don't want to be sent home or quarantine (they just move out of the dorms and rent a place off campus). I'll be shocked if the Bulldogs are somehow able to keep enough players from getting infected and actually complete this season.

I mean...CuseRunner is the one who brought up likes. He deserves to catch a little flack for it. Who the heck brings up “likes”, and is apparently serious about it?

Wow! YOU have a lot of likes!
1601922888999.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom