Class of 2018 - Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft

From a good source Staats is currently finishing degree at OCC but I hear plans to go into draft. I guess his cousin owns a business back home in which he will help run it and be set for life(six figures). Brother and coaches at OCC encouraged him to go to Syracuse but he prefers to play box professionally . He will be the number 1 pick in the draft.
Heard something along the same lines - that both Staats and Oakes had another semester of classes left. We should know about Staats soon - the NLL expansion draft (San Diego and Philadelphia) is July 16th and the league draft is in September. Because Staats is only 20, I believe he'll have to declare (and forfeit his remaining eligibility) at least 30 days prior to the draft to be eligible. If he hasn't declared yet then it could be that (a) he hasn't made his mind up yet, or (b) he didn't want to play for one of the expansion teams. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

What kind of $ does a top five pick usually sign for in the NLL n MLL? Is there a uniformed pay scale by pick or a wide range ? Thanks in advance for any answers

Just our luck, the one super recruit who would likely come to the Cuse if he went the collegiate route is too good.

Heard something along the same lines - that both Staats and Oakes had another semester of classes left. We should know about Staats soon - the NLL expansion draft (San Diego and Philadelphia) is July 16th and the league draft is in September. Because Staats is only 20, I believe he'll have to declare (and forfeit his remaining eligibility) at least 30 days prior to the draft to be eligible. If he hasn't declared yet then it could be that (a) he hasn't made his mind up yet, or (b) he didn't want to play for one of the expansion teams. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
So this would have to happen then in the next 4 days... NLL draft is Sept 25, 2018. Very curious how this ends up. He would be so huge on the attack line this year! Especially with the new shot clock.

He's young n should take advantage of this opportunity n come to Cuse. Great academic support system here to help him get a college degree, mature n stable coaches with so much familiarity. He'd also expand both his brand and game to U.S. audience, be a prominent and featured player from day one.

30 days is 8/26

New student registration is 8/25-8/26
First day of classes 8/27

It's all coming to a head!

Like I said a few weeks ago by the end of August we should know for sure. Seems like he is pro bound but the fact that nothing concrete has come out yet is a silver lining. Hopefully Randy and others got in his ear.

Heard the same unfortunately.

ugh that's a huge disappointment. Given he was considering Syracuse but didn't have the grades does this mean he may consider other schools e.g. Albany? Let's hope not!

ugh that's a huge disappointment. Given he was considering Syracuse but didn't have the grades does this mean he may consider other schools e.g. Albany? Let's hope not!

No I dont believe so, I think the grade issues (assuming what I heard is correct) would make any D-1 school a bridge to far. I believe it was always Syracuse or the Pros. Tough break kid is a 5 star stud player. Would have been great to have him for four years. This should open things up for Cook to start from Day 1.

No I dont believe so, I think the grade issues (assuming what I heard is correct) would make any D-1 school a bridge to far. I believe it was always Syracuse or the Pros. Tough break kid is a 5 star stud player. Would have been great to have him for four years. This should open things up for Cook to start from Day 1.

It's not over until it's officially over, know for sure shortly . Anyway, 3rd att spot tbd but lean to underrated vet Voigt starting, limitations but also strengths , moves to spots n presents well with reliable hands and ability to quickly rip fit which complements Refhuss ability to feed. Saw Cook live for first time, has dimensions to game and will be good but have doubts that he's ready to start at open. More likely that he and Berkman ,who impressed with his play around crease , are worked into rotation to begin season. Attack wont have a Spencer but Solly will produce n Refhuss is capable of a breakout season. Always interesting to see it unfold but should be good grouping however employed

Thanks JCuse...i'm looking forward to seeing Cook on campus, kid can play!

Is there any chance Austin still winds up here, maybe he takes a few fall classes at OCC like Randy did before he came to Syracuse or is this a dead possibility?

If true, that is a bummer about Staats. I am excited about the younger attackman waiting in the wings, but can't help but feel Staats was exactly what this team needed. I am pulling for Cook to be a breakout star player, but I can't get over how small this offense feels. Solomon is undersized, Rhefuss is rail thin, and this midfield will certainly be special, but size is not something they bring to the table. Staats would have been that big physical dodger you could go to in end of game situations. The only guys I see being at all physically intimidating is Pat Carlin and Peter Dearth, and they aren't even going to start.

Cook obviously brings a lot of skills to the table (though I think it would be best for him to replace Solomon next year), Berkman very well could be a big time sleeper, Seebold seems to be forgotten about even though a lot of us had him penciled in a potential starter last year, and Voigt brings a veteran presence that compliments the other two starters. But this attack unit has been a below expectations since Donahue left and I don't know if I see this particular unit producing an All-American (again) this year.

I also think size and physicality is something the team has been lacking in general and is a big reason why the last three teams have been beaten in the playoffs. Maryland beat up our defense, Towson beat up our offense and Cornell seemed to be a bully all over the field. The way this team is constructed as of now, to me, lacks physicality and size. That can be compensated for, but the last few years have showed me that they haven't been able to solve that missing piece. Hope I am wrong, but can't help but think Staats would have solved a lot of problems.

Not true about grades. He just has work to do to graduate but it doesn't look like he wants to return to finish school. I am hearing draft and he is finishing his degree in Canada.

Thanks JCuse...i'm looking forward to seeing Cook on campus, kid can play!

Is there any chance Austin still winds up here, maybe he takes a few fall classes at OCC like Randy did before he came to Syracuse or is this a dead possibility?

If for some reason he doesn't declare he could eenroll in Janurary but thats assuming he can get eligible in a semester which maybe a stretch. I am hopeful that maybe Randy and others got in his ear and pushed him to go to SU.

Not true about grades. He just has work to do to graduate but it doesn't look like he wants to return to finish school. I am hearing draft and he is finishing his degree in Canada.

Appreciate the update, not saying your wrong but graduating from OCC doesn't mean you have the grades for D1. Either way we would love to have Austin and we certainly wish him the best no matter what he chooses to do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom