Class of 2018 - Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft

If true, that is a bummer about Staats. I am excited about the younger attackman waiting in the wings, but can't help but feel Staats was exactly what this team needed. I am pulling for Cook to be a breakout star player, but I can't get over how small this offense feels. Solomon is undersized, Rhefuss is rail thin, and this midfield will certainly be special, but size is not something they bring to the table. Staats would have been that big physical dodger you could go to in end of game situations. The only guys I see being at all physically intimidating is Pat Carlin and Peter Dearth, and they aren't even going to start.

Cook obviously brings a lot of skills to the table (though I think it would be best for him to replace Solomon next year), Berkman very well could be a big time sleeper, Seebold seems to be forgotten about even though a lot of us had him penciled in a potential starter last year, and Voigt brings a veteran presence that compliments the other two starters. But this attack unit has been a below expectations since Donahue left and I don't know if I see this particular unit producing an All-American (again) this year.

I also think size and physicality is something the team has been lacking in general and is a big reason why the last three teams have been beaten in the playoffs. Maryland beat up our defense, Towson beat up our offense and Cornell seemed to be a bully all over the field. The way this team is constructed as of now, to me, lacks physicality and size. That can be compensated for, but the last few years have showed me that they haven't been able to solve that missing piece. Hope I am wrong, but can't help but think Staats would have solved a lot of problems.

Agreed, he would have been a boon to the offense. Powell esque impact

It's not over until it's officially over, know for sure shortly . Anyway, 3rd att spot tbd but lean to underrated vet Voigt starting, limitations but also strengths , moves to spots n presents well with reliable hands and ability to quickly rip fit which complements Refhuss ability to feed. Saw Cook live for first time, has dimensions to game and will be good but have doubts that he's ready to start at open. More likely that he and Berkman ,who impressed with his play around crease , are worked into rotation to begin season. Attack wont have a Spencer but Solly will produce n Refhuss is capable of a breakout season. Always interesting to see it unfold but should be good grouping however employed

I like Voigt, great man up guy and someone who can bust zones with a quick release in that mid range spot. That said I don't see him as a starter at attack, he can't dodge and SU doesn't have an elite passer or stud attackman to draw defenses away from him. Cook can dodge, finish in close or rip it from up top. He or Berkman would be my choices for the third spot

e57.jpg

Think U.S. audience would know Teat or Rabil much if they went straight to NLL? College career exposes player to wider consumer base if he have any aspirations to possibly be a frontman for brand beyond regional promos...Moving on, wouldnt forget Seebold having role. . Has skills n offers size upfront if he filled out

Another Desko failure. He has single=handedly burned all of SU's bridges to the six nations/Iroquois.

Had nothing to do with Desko. He didn’t want to put in the work to finish up at OCC and make the move to SU. A decision he will likely regret over time when he comes to realize $30k a year doesn’t get you very far

I was ok until the last paragraph. Gut punch.

Nanticoke was considered one of the best recruits to come along in many season but Chuck Wilbur, Staats' coach at OCC, said Staats was viewed by many as every bit his equal. Wilbur said Staats would have been a first-team all-American in college ball.

From a good source Staats is currently finishing degree at OCC but I hear plans to go into draft. I guess his cousin owns a business back home in which he will help run it and be set for life(six figures). Brother and coaches at OCC encouraged him to go to Syracuse but he prefers to play box professionally . He will be the number 1 pick in the draft.
Everyone discussing the salaries of NLL players & Austin’s potential income may want to read the above quoted post, as I’ve heard this as well.

College isn't the path for everyone. While I wish we could have him on our team, he may not need our academic services. If he has a job lined up, and will be the #1 pick why not skip college. If this means Cook slides into that 3rd attack spot instead of Staats I'll take 4 years of Cook any day.

Staats ideal fit, plug n play with immediate production but not meant to be. As CuSelax says, still like the outlook for 2019. Just hitting the pause button on appointing anyone to 3rd spot. I recall a few penciling in Seebold n Quinn to start last year because as Cook they are very talented. Can expect those two now sophs to see the field in whatever role best fits. At 3rd attack, team has depth of talent for this year and beyond

Had nothing to do with Desko. He didn’t want to put in the work to finish up at OCC and make the move to SU. A decision he will likely regret over time when he comes to realize $30k a year doesn’t get you very far

This is spot on. There is plenty to question Desko about but its hard to blame him for not bringing in a guy who wasn't academically eligible. Staats was always a 50/50 at best shot to make it here. He simply didn't have the grades.

Austin and/or Darius Bazley. Curious to think who might have had the greater impact on this years Cuse teams. ;) I think we would have been better with both, but alas it was not to be.

Was hoping Austin could come in and really become a household name. Be great to have someone in contention for a Tewaaraton again. Haven't won it since Mike Leville in 2008. Long time. That said, getting to the FF is all that matters. I hope that happens real soon. Its felt like a very long wait on that.

This is spot on. There is plenty to question Desko about but its hard to blame him for not bringing in a guy who wasn't academically eligible. Staats was always a 50/50 at best shot to make it here. He simply didn't have the grades.

Right now he doesn't even have a diploma. He needs one more semester to have enough credits to graduate (according to one of the articles). Who knows what his GPA is?

Vaughn Harris graduated from OCC and still didn't have the grades to transfer.

I don't follow college lacrosse like the diehards on this board, but this is a very questionable move. There's no money in professional lacrosse and the SU Lax alum that I have come across in NYC, are doing well for themselves; better than pro players. Could he not meet the SU academic standards? This isn't like Darius Bazely because you can't play on the McDonald's team with poor academics; all kids in that game are college eligible.

Let's give the kid a break and assume he's making an informed and well thought out decision. Wilbur has had him for two years and knowing Chuck I'm sure he counseled him and presented him with all his options along the way. Wilbur makes sure every kid who goes through his program has a plan - with most it's getting to a 4 year school, but not all.

Assuming he finishes up at OCC next year and he is so inclined to get a 4 year degree, nothing would prevent him from getting paid to play pro lacrosse AND go to SU for free under the Promise Scholarship (includes tuition, fees, housing and meals).

Whoever called Berkman "the sleeper" may be on to something. He's been in the gym for 2 years in Orlando w/ Salcido & Jarred Bernhardt of MD- (these 2 among the best athletes in the game > the trainer is a 'Cuse alum > wish they could get him on staff) - Barnhardt's brothers (TEAM USA) are arguably the best pure athletes in the game & they are w/ the same trainer. Berkman soaks up legit checks & word is Coach Donahue likes his footwork. Apples and Orange's v. Cook's game (they will make a great unit going forward) but Berkman is your dodger/feeder that gets the D spinning - something we have lacked since Kevin Rice who had great change of direction at X - we have the step down shooters but right now we appear to mainly be able to feed off of broken situation or fast breaks, rarely off the dodge that forces a slide. But there is hope! Cook does remind me of a more polished Solomon as well w/ much more upside - Jordan Wolf'ish maybe / there is an SU throwback attack unit evolving | '18 update > Thomas Washington (FOGO) decommitted and went to Marquette (closer to home) & LSM Jacob Walthour did not arrive at school, he's not coming

Last edited:
From a reliable source up there , the kid was in study halls daily for 2 years and actually had good GPA to go div 1, thats why it was a option still. Did not want to attend college anymore, he went to OCC because Mom and family wanted him to go and stayed there this past year because Coach Wilbur and his parents. He will run a construction business which is the biggest one on his reservation and will be a pro player . When its all said and done he will be well above 6 figures for his life. Also was told he's transferring current credits he will take in Canada and finish hs degree at OCC. He made that promise to his family and Coaches at OCC when he decided not to continue his 4 year degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom