Axe has been axed | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Axe has been axed

Where is it going from here?
Bad PR...tons of it. That will stick for a while. Won't be able to wash away that stink anytime soon.

Schein calling on the Newhosue School to step in, you think he will be the only famous alum to do so? Maybe, maybe not... I know inside the Syracuse Bubble we live in, we don't want to hear it, but this story has gotten run nation wide. Lots of Syracuse alums in the media are going on their outlets, some large some small to voice their displeasure.

If those alums stop sending in donations, stop being guest speakers at classes when asked at Newhouse, and just take an overall tone moving forward of being negative towards the University, Whildhack, and the Athletic Department over this...it will just be endless bad PR that won't stop.

I know some of you will say "who cares" or "nobody will care"...I get it. But when your known as the journalism school who produces all of these big names, when those big names turn on ya, that ain't a good look for anyone involved.

I'm assuming that will consist of the groundbreaking content of Dave Portnoy walking out of Varsity holding a pizza and declaring it an 8/10.

At the risk of digression - not for nothing, but - Varsity pizza is meh, at best.
Hard cap of 6/10.
(and that's being veeerrrry generous)

When we were there for the last Dome game, we went to Varsity for wings & pizza.
Varsity wings are still very much on point. Same as it ever was.

Pizza seemed even worse than I remembered, and that was just ok back then.
Doughy, greasy, seemingly undercooked, and bland.

Back to Axe... yay.

Bad PR...tons of it. That will stick for a while. Won't be able to wash away that stink anytime soon.

Schein calling on the Newhosue School to step in, you think he will be the only famous alum to do so? Maybe, maybe not... I know inside the Syracuse Bubble we live in, we don't want to hear it, but this story has gotten run nation wide. Lots of Syracuse alums in the media are going on their outlets, some large some small to voice their displeasure.

If those alums stop sending in donations, stop being guest speakers at classes when asked at Newhouse, and just take an overall tone moving forward of being negative towards the University, Whildhack, and the Athletic Department over this...it will just be endless bad PR that won't stop.

I know some of you will say "who cares" or "nobody will care"...I get it. But when you’re known as the journalism school who produces all of these big names, when those big names turn on ya, that ain't a good look for anyone involved.
Of course this will stop, it will stop this week after the first few rounds of march madness. It’s stops when there is something more compelling to talk about. So let me know what the University can do to fix this issue with a private business. Cancel the media contract, release a statement, give Axe a job? I really don’t know.

Adam Schein destroyed Ed Levine and the Syracuse Athletic Department over Brent being fired on his podcast. He also called on the Newhouse School to step in on this and do something.

Bill Simmons put up a nasty tweet attacking John Wildhack over this.

Barstool is preparing some content around this situation as well.

Story still has legs and isn't going away.
Big fat nothing burger

Yakkers crying about yakkers.

Of course this will stop, it will stop this week after the first few rounds of march madness. It’s stops when there is something more compelling to talk about. So let me know what the University can do to fix this issue with a private business. Cancel the media contract, release a statement, give Axe a job? I really don’t know.
He is an instructor already unless that ended recently

Adam Schein destroyed Ed Levine and the Syracuse Athletic Department over Brent being fired on his podcast. He also called on the Newhouse School to step in on this and do something.

Simmons is an egotist who has had an axe to grind against ESPN for years. His statement about Axe's firing being 'particularly gross' has virtually nothing to do with Axe.

Schein is a dipstick as well , It was clear to me Axe patterned himself after Adam, this means 0 . And I had forgot about it until I just checked the board looking for reactions to Clark UVa s royal screw up and happen to see this Schein drivel.

Schein is a dipstick as well , It was clear to me Axe patterned himself after Adam, this means 0 . And I had forgot about it until I just checked the board looking for reactions to Clark UVa s royal screw up and happen to see this Schein drivel.

Interesting take on Schein….

Not sure most would agree with you

Last edited:
Interest take on Schein….

Not sure most would agree with you
It’s a mix , some like him , some think he is an obnoxious blowhard, He got the SNY gig so somebody liked him , I don’t .

George deleone hung up on him! (Rest in Peace)
It’s a mix , some like him , some think he is an obnoxious blowhard, He got the SNY gig so somebody liked him , I don’t .

I know some of you will say "who cares" or "nobody will care"...I get it. But when your known as the journalism school who produces all of these big names, when those big names turn on ya, that ain't a good look for anyone involved.
How is Newhouse involved in this and what pull does it have over Levine?

I would think making a show that tries to make the team more popular would make the ratings better.
I would say moving on from the old crank Boeheim had become in an effort to recruit better and win more would make the team more popular. Which is exactly what Axe was advocating for.
We all saw this but too many ppl are afraid to speak truth to power. I give Axe credit for speaking the truth.

And therein lies the issue. If the owner of a media entity thinks he can't make money by allowing anyone to say anything negative because access will be stripped, that's a giant problem because it gives all the power to those who can abuse that power the most.
Do we know of any threat to strip access? I may have missed something but I have a hard time believing SU would bar ESPN radio affiliate no matter what went down.

Do we know of any threat to strip access? I may have missed something but I have a hard time believing SU would bar ESPN radio affiliate no matter what went down.
I would say moving on from the old crank Boeheim had become in an effort to recruit better and win more would make the team more popular. Which is exactly what Axe was advocating for.
We all saw this but too many ppl are afraid to speak truth to power. I give Axe credit for speaking the truth.
Who?

and yet almost everyone i talked to about this the last 2 weeks did want him gone.. I know its a popular thing on boards but the 95% of the people who are casual fans might not feel the same.

The ability for an independent entity to lean on a media organization, in the arena of sports of all places, to force a media member out is just wrong. Wild so many can't separate their own opinions of the guy from seeing that.

That’s hard to do when it’s the flagship station for SU sports.

The ability for an independent entity to lean on a media organization, in the arena of sports of all places, to force a media member out is just wrong. Wild so many can't separate their own opinions of the guy from seeing that.

Absolutely insane.

Have to separate who it is.

Pretend it’s anonymous person and people would be very upset by this.

Oh well, it’s done and over and time to move on.

Just good to know that everything on that radio station is going to have a bias

I'm getting tired of this discussion. An owner fired an at-will employee with a contract. The reason doesn't matter.

If I owned Cumulus Media, I would go in and clean house at The Score 1260.

I'm getting tired of this discussion. An owner fired an at-will employee with a contract. The reason doesn't matter.

If I owned Cumulus Media, I would go in and clean house at The Score 1260.

You can turn off alerts for the thread I think.

The fourth estate still matters to some of us.

Adam Schein today said Syracuse Sports Radio is now killed, and you can never take it seriously ever again after the Brent Axe firing from a few months ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom