Axe Interviews Babers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Axe Interviews Babers

Yes, it feels like the roster is really starting to turn the corner. I think one more year and we will be in pretty solid shape. This year we have to make a bowl, but in 2019, we could win 8 or 9 games and have the best team we've had in a decade.

We didn't have good teams a decade ago. I'd say "best team since 2012".

Based on what? The kid is a warrior and the system can pile on yards but his passing and decision making isn’t at that level

ED has shown the ability to deliver the ball accurately and on time when given time. He IS a pass first qb and if he stays healthy this year will get the attention he deserves as one of the top 6 qbs in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious that at the end of last year, some people thought Dungey wouldn't be the starter this year. No idea how you can come even close to thinking that [this assumes variables like health are all equal between all, of course].

Totally agree, he has a stronghold on the playbook and team. He is the man i understand TD may have closed the gap, but this is ED's team as long as he is healthy. TD will have his 3 years to excel.

Totally agree, he has a stronghold on the playbook and team. He is the man i understand TD may have closed the gap, but this is ED's team as long as he is healthy. TD will have his 3 years to excel.
I would like to see TD get some playing time this year, similar to how Marrone got Nassib some playing time early on. We’ll have to see how Dino tackles this...

Last edited:
I actually think there is a Chance TD gets pushed for playing time in a few years.
I see what you did there! You think that highly of him?

It seems to there are 4 sports positions where the coach settled on one guy, and absent disaster, stays with that guy: QB, Closer, goalkeeper, goaltender.
Sometimes, consistency wins out over top end ability.

Probably next year. Chance looks very good considering he should still be in HS.

I don’t think people realize how good TD is going to be in this system.

When people say "top 10", is it top 10 as a player or top 10 in production? The two aren't the same. When McNabb was a senior he wasn't top 10 in attempts, completions, yards, tds, or yards per attempt, but as the #2 overall pick in that draft, he certainly had an argument for being the best qb in the country that year.

Dungey may or may not be a top 10 qb this year. I really don't care. All I care about is getting to bowl game and maybe back to the top 25. He is most likely the best guy to help us do that this year.

I would like to see TD get some playing time this year, similar to how Marrone got Nassib some playing time early on. We’ll have to see how Dino tackles this...

I totally get it, just praying for EDs health. I keep hearing just how weak the qb class is supposed to be next year draft wise. Geeez, keeping my fingers crossed, hey ya never know. Look at some of these qbs the last 3 years or so that have been first round picks. Wow, could be fun next year.

When people say "top 10", is it top 10 as a player or top 10 in production? The two aren't the same. When McNabb was a senior he wasn't top 10 in attempts, completions, yards, tds, or yards per attempt, but as the #2 overall pick in that draft, he certainly had an argument for being the best qb in the country that year.

Dungey may or may not be a top 10 qb this year. I really don't care. All I care about is getting to bowl game and maybe back to the top 25. He is most likely the best guy to help us do that this year.

Well said, geeez, hate to wish the summer away, but definitely looking forward 2 the fall:)

It seems to there are 4 sports positions where the coach settled on one guy, and absent disaster, stays with that guy: QB, Closer, goalkeeper, goaltender.
Sometimes, consistency wins out over top end ability.
Agreed, but the hope is when your beating the piss out of half your opponents, you can get TD some snaps in the last 1/3 of the game.

That way he can get like 1/4 of the reps for the season. Which works perfectly since ED can only stay healthy for 3/4 of a season. J/K kinda...

Agreed, but the hope is when your beating the piss out of half your opponents, you can get TD some snaps in the last 1/3 of the game.

That way he can get like 1/4 of the reps for the season. Which works perfectly since ED can only stay healthy for 3/4 of a season. J/K kinda...

Wow, I like your plans but there aren't 6 teams that we "beat the piss out of" in the last 6 years. You speak of the luxury of 6 wins this year, blowouts allowing TD to get some time. Let's just get to 7-5 with this schedule, keeping ED healthy. Again, if he can indeed stay healthy and put up numbers, he will be on the national radar and maybe be a top 6-8 prospect coming out;)

Dungey gets a lot of credit for his toughness and will, as well he should. But he also came in as a true freshman, learned a system in two weeks and moved up to #2 on the depth chart. I don’t care who you’re competing against, that says something. And then steps into the starter’s role almost immediately at the start of the season. Then the next season he has to do it all over again with a completely new system and new coaches. ED doesn’t get enough credit for what he delivers from the neck up.

Wow, I like your plans but there aren't 6 teams that we "beat the piss out of" in the last 6 years. You speak of the luxury of 6 wins this year, blowouts allowing TD to get some time. Let's just get to 7-5 with this schedule, keeping ED healthy. Again, if he can indeed stay healthy and put up numbers, he will be on the national radar and maybe be a top 6-8 prospect coming out;)
As in taken in the top 6-8 in the first round?

Wow, I like your plans but there aren't 6 teams that we "beat the piss out of" in the last 6 years.t

Certainly we have not been a juggernaut, but the last 6 years did include a few very good wins, including a handful of butt whippings. I have not included any games against Div. 1A punching bags in the list below:

2012 - Marrone
UConn 40-10
Louisville 45-26
West Virginia 38-14

2013 - Shafer
Tulane 52-17
Maryland 20-3

2014 - Shafer
Central Michigan 40-3
Wake Forest 30-7

2015 - Shafer
Wake Forest 30-17

2016 - Babers
Virginia Tech 31-17

2017 - Babers
Central Michigan 41-17
(And beating Clemson, although it wasn't a blow-out)

Things have not been truly awful, at a Gerg level. There have been flashes to give us hope. I just want a bowl game and Dungey healthy this year.

I also want to see Tommy DeVito gets some decent time behind center to prepare for 2019, when I think this team is going to break through to 8+ wins. This year, just get to six. Next year, we move up a tier.

Certainly we have not been a juggernaut, but the last 6 years did include a few very good wins, including a handful of butt whippings. I have not included any games against Div. 1A punching bags in the list below:

2012 - Marrone
UConn 40-10
Louisville 45-26
West Virginia 38-14

2013 - Shafer
Tulane 52-17
Maryland 20-3

2014 - Shafer
Central Michigan 40-3
Wake Forest 30-7

2015 - Shafer
Wake Forest 30-17

2016 - Babers
Virginia Tech 31-17

2017 - Babers
Central Michigan 41-17
(And beating Clemson, although it wasn't a blow-out)

Things have not been truly awful, at a Gerg level. There have been flashes to give us hope. I just want a bowl game and Dungey healthy this year.

I also want to see Tommy DeVito gets some decent time behind center to prepare for 2019, when I think this team is going to break through to 8+ wins. This year, just get to six. Next year, we move up a tier.

I get it and love all of those wins but 31-17, and the wvu and ville wins don't get your second qb into the game. Yes , i hope td gets some reps , but we will have to be 3-4 tds ahead in the second half against non league competition . Hope it happens

Where does that typically put a qb in the draft? 3rd round? I think that would be a stretch.
I'm not going to go back to previous years, but in this year's draft, 5 QB's were taken in the 1st round, then one each in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

12 QB's taken so far, with two more in each of the 6th and 7th (so far - 9 picks into the 7th).

Where does that typically put a qb in the draft? 3rd round? I think that would be a stretch.

Not sure about that. 5 went in the first round then not sure if another was drafted til the steelers took the OSU kid. Top 10 qbs to be safe and btw, a few qbs that cant shine EDs shoes went, lile etling from lsu. If ED plays a full season, its a question of 1-5?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom