"Back from the dead on Easter Sunday" | Syracusefan.com

"Back from the dead on Easter Sunday"

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
http://thebiglead.com/2016/03/27/ke...syracuse-back-from-the-dead-on-easter-sunday/

that lands somewhere in between "do you believe in miracles?" and "the slipper still fits"

Heckuva line.

Also tell me Malachai aint the Easter Bunny delivering the emergency baskets

syracuse-final-four.jpg

From the Book of Malachi:

Malachi 4 (NIV)

4 “Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire,” says the Lord Almighty. “Not a root or a branch will be left to them. 2 But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves. 3 Then you will trample on the wicked; they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty.

Last edited:
http://thebiglead.com/2016/03/27/ke...syracuse-back-from-the-dead-on-easter-sunday/

that lands somewhere in between "do you believe in miracles?" and "the slipper still fits"

Heckuva line.

Also tell me Malachai aint the Easter Bunny delivering the emergency baskets

syracuse-final-four.jpg

The USA Today had an article on the same Kevin Harlin's "Back from the dead on Easter Sunday" comment.

It doesn't bother that much. I think God is very forgiving and is an Orange fan anyway!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/kevin-harlan-syracuse-came-back-from-the-dead-on-easter-sunday

I think it would be a non-issue if he hadn't added "on Easter ..." at the end. "Coming back from the dead" is a well used phrase and had he left it at that I don't think it would have been nearly so controversial. The problem occurs when you take something that is deeply personal (Easter) to many people and in effect, trivialize it by applying it to a game, which, if we were all objective, doesn't amount to a hill of beans in real life.

Also, I think by adding the "on Easter..." part makes me think it was scripted which to some may magnify the trivialization.

As a devout Christian, I absolutely loved the call and thought it was a stroke of genius. I don't know if it's Christians who have a problem with the call, but if it is, I bet they all live in Virginia. To me it's also pretty inocuous. I mean, would anyone have a problem with "Malachi Richardson is giving his team a gift on Christmas!"?

As a devout Christian, I absolutely loved the call and thought it was a stroke of genius. I don't know if it's Christians who have a problem with the call, but if it is, I bet they all live in Virginia. To me it's also pretty inocuous. I mean, would anyone have a problem with "Malachi Richardson is giving his team a gift on Christmas!"?
I'm just happy to have the Resurrection of our Lord be a well known reference. He is risen!

I think it would be a non-issue if he hadn't added "on Easter ..." at the end. "Coming back from the dead" is a well used phrase and had he left it at that I don't think it would have been nearly so controversial. The problem occurs when you take something that is deeply personal (Easter) to many people and in effect, trivialize it by applying it to a game, which, if we were all objective, doesn't amount to a hill of beans in real life.

Also, I think by adding the "on Easter..." part makes me think it was scripted which to some may magnify the trivialization.

But it was a direct correlation to Jesus' Resurrection which is why he added the on Easter Sunday.

Would be similarn to saying Cuse has a dream if it fell on MLK day

FYI Matt Park called it an "Easter Sunday miracle"

I was speaking in a church in downtown Syracuse a couple weeks ago. They were deciding whether to make some changes and I knew they really didn't want to change. I knew there were SU fans in the pews. I made a reference to Syracuse leaving for the ACC. I said change was hard but sometimes it is necessary. I was worried that comparing church with SU hoops would be offensive to some but I went with it anyway. I think it worked because the church decided to make the changes. I have no problem with Harlan's line. My wife on the other hand had a small issue with it.

Redemption........the imagery of five lost souls on a basketball court rising up from the ashes and finding the promised land. They had faith. A chapter out of Dino's belief without up to that point evidence.
Through their actions they got there.

Gosh, you are just so darned reasonable! :)

But it was a direct correlation to Jesus' Resurrection which is why he added the on Easter Sunday.

Would be similarn to saying Cuse has a dream if it fell on MLK day

I agree it was a direct correlation. Not sure I agree with being the same as the MLK reference but won't criticize if you do.

Who is offended, the believers who think Jesus is being trivialized or the non-believers who desire references to Jesus removed from the public sphere.

Is it the public sphere? If you are referring to separation of church and state that is a wild reach.

Who is offended, the believers who think Jesus is being trivialized or the non-believers who desire references to Jesus removed from the public sphere.

Or the pundits and basketball analysts who want Syracuse to be removed from the public sphere?

Probably not, but they might if he was referenced as "Malachi Richardson is the Savior".

Is it the public sphere? If you are referring to separation of church and state that is a wild reach.
I am not referring to any Constitutional issues here since I do not believe TBS is a state actor. Regardless, I think there are people, even some on this board, who would rather have college basketball and sports devoid of any reference to God. I can see one of these people having an issue with a reference to Christ's resurrection during a basketball broadcast. That's all I'm saying. If we go any further with this, I suggest the moderators move this over to the OT Board.

I am not referring to any Constitutional issues here since I do not believe TBS is a state actor. Regardless, I think there are people, even some on this board, who would rather have college basketball and sports devoid of any reference to God. I can see one of these people having an issue with a reference to Christ's resurrection during a basketball broadcast. That's all I'm saying. If we go any further with this, I suggest the moderators move this over to the OT Board.

I think there's a difference.

Gary Thorne's weird god references during Met games in the '90s (e.g., 'You see a sunset like that, it's evidence that there is a higher power'): too much.

Harlan's Easter line: fine (and, if not overly clever, at least enjoyable). It's the same deal with 'Merry Christmas' - it's a day that exists for all of us, regardless of what Christians celebrate on that day. It'd be insane for society not to acknowledge that.

my facebook status after last night's win-

"and on the third day, they removed the stones from the tomb and Malachi Richardson rose....(etc)"

Don't care if anyone was "offended".

Fair enough, although I think it would be more preferential than offensive on their part.