Badger fan here... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Badger fan here...

come on, this wisconsin team is "much much better" than the butler team 2 years ago? the same butler team that beat boeheim, izzo, and was 1 shot away from taking down coach k and winning it all? other than ohio state theyve lost to every better team theyve played this year. theyre a good team, certainly not an elite team, and certainly not much much better than a team that was 1 shot away from winning a national championship.

Two "much's" might be an exaggeration but it's not really fair to compare the first 30+ games Wiscy played this year to the last 4 games (which happened to be their most impressive 4 games by far) for Butler. If you want to compare apples to apples who did Butler beat in the reg. season that year? They played a tough OOC but didn't beat anyone except Xavier at home which was a 1pt controversial ending. And of course they eeked by a 13 seed in the 2nd round before playing us.

Two "much's" might be an exaggeration but it's not really fair to compare the first 30+ games Wiscy played this year to the last 4 games (which happened to be their most impressive 4 games by far) for Butler. If you want to compare apples to apples who did Butler beat in the reg. season that year? They played a tough OOC but didn't beat anyone except Xavier at home which was a 1pt controversial ending.

well butler was a 5 seed in 2010 and wisconsin is a 4 this year, seems like they had comparable seasons. and a weaker butler team last year spanked another 4 seed wisconsin team last year in sweet 16. 2 different teams but many of the same players

Butler had 5 losses but were probably a better team in 9-10.

I think Whisky reminds me alot of the 96 Miss State team for some reason. They run the drunk passing offense.

I think Wisconsin 12 is much better than Butler 10 because they have a better offense. It will be harder to blank them on possession after possession after possession to reclaim the lead than it was against Butler.

I think Wisconsin 12 is much better than Butler 10 because they have a better offense. It will be harder to blank them on possession after possession after possession to reclaim the lead than it was against Butler.

They looked like a good offensive team vs. Vandy. But remeber what the OP said:

"On offense, we've been known to struggle at times. UW isn't the greatest shooting team in the world, and we've been prone to go through long scoring droughts."

I was at that game (Sept 1972) as a junior @ SU...Wiscy won 31-7. Can't remember their halfback, but he was a human bowling ball running thru CUSE.

Rufus "the Roadrunner" Ferguson. Only 5 foot five. Human bowling ball is right. One of the best Wisconsin backs ever.
  • Rushed for 2,814 yards as a Badger, including 1,222 in 1971 and 1,004 in 1972
  • First-team All-Big Ten on the field and in the classroom in 1971 and 1972
  • CoSIDA Academic All-American as a senior
  • Recipient of the 1972 Jimmy Demetral Award, given to the Badger MVP
  • Wisconsin all-time scoring leader with 158 points when career concluded
  • Gained more than 100 yards rushing in 12 different games at UW with a career-best 211 vs. Minnesota in 1971
  • Played in the 1973 Hula Bowl

Rufus "the Roadrunner" Ferguson. Only 5 foot five. Human bowling ball is right. One of the best Wisconsin backs ever.
  • Rushed for 2,814 yards as a Badger, including 1,222 in 1971 and 1,004 in 1972
  • First-team All-Big Ten on the field and in the classroom in 1971 and 1972
  • CoSIDA Academic All-American as a senior
  • Recipient of the 1972 Jimmy Demetral Award, given to the Badger MVP
  • Wisconsin all-time scoring leader with 158 points when career concluded
  • Gained more than 100 yards rushing in 12 different games at UW with a career-best 211 vs. Minnesota in 1971
  • Played in the 1973 Hula Bowl

But in 1969, we won 43-7.

Then there was the first game I saw as a freshman: the 1971 game we thought we'd won until an extra point was blocked, 20-20.

And the 1941 game where we upset the Badgers 27-20 with the famed "reverse center" play, which was subsequently outlawed because as AA Stagg said, "In time of war we shouldn't be showing our backside to the enemy."

Both programs have been up and down over the years with the oblong spheriod.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...=1869&end=2011&team1=Syracuse&team2=Wisconsin

But in 1969, we won 43-7.

Then there was the first game I saw as a freshman: the 1971 game we thought we'd won until an extra point was blocked, 20-20.

And the 1941 game where we upset the Badgers 27-20 with the famed "reverse center" play, which was subsequently outlawed because as AA Stagg said, "In time of war we shouldn't be showing our backside to the enemy."

Both programs have been up and down over the years with the oblong spheriod.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...=1869&end=2011&team1=Syracuse&team2=Wisconsin
What is the reverse center play ?

Thx in advance !

Our guards may be able to beat the UW guards off the dribble, but I'm worried about help defenders stepping in and drawing offensive fouls. This means somebody else will be open, but Dion and Kris sometimes have a tendency to drive while not looking to pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom