Balance of play calling thought | Syracusefan.com

Balance of play calling thought

Jerry Fairchild

Walk On
Just heard Trent Dilfer talk about balance of play calling. He said in speaking with the most successful college and NFL coaches it has to be around 65% pass and 35% run to gain yards. Running is more about keeping people honest, but passing is what gains yards and will win games. Kind of a consensus that now even Belichek endorses. Some people may not like that, but it is the way to win games at this point and that slot WR's and TE's are the key. Things cycle however. Food for thought.

I don't know if that's as consistantly the case in college. I certainly believe it for NFL. I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure Alabama, Florida, and Auburn didn't throw it that much during their recent NC runs.

the better your olines the more you can run, the better your skill players the more you pass. when you have both you just do what ever makes you happy.

i think time has shown though you can stay in games with less talent with a passing offense unless you stay with the option running attack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom