Baseball hof thread | Syracusefan.com

Baseball hof thread

Agree with Rivera and Mussina. I always thought Mussina should have been a few years earlier.

Halladay was a clear hall of famer for me, but I do think first ballot should be for the true greats... and he was close, but I would put him in on my second ballot. That being said if everyone thought like me he would be off the ballot in year one...

I disagree with Edgar Martinez, but not very strongly. I can live with it. Peak stats look great but are highly era and park inflated.

It would just be better if Bonds and Clemens got in, so they stop taking spots on the ballots from other deserving candidates.

I was surprised to see Omar Vizquel at 42%. This early into the HOF process he seems like he could ultimately work his way to 75%.

Mariano deserved 100% but he absolutely shouldn't have been the first. Handful of others should have gotten 100% IMO

Perfectly fine with Moose, Edgar, and Halladay.

Bonds and Clemens need to be in. There are already players in the HOF who are alleged to have used PEDs and we also have a bunch of awful human beings already in. Bonds and Clemens were voted to 7 MVPs and 7 Cy Youngs by the same exact voters who are now keeping them out of the hall. Just dork writers on their high horses.

Placido Polanco got 2 votes, Roy Oswalt got 4. Take the votes away from those writers.

Millennials put Edgar in.

Stand up and do something 4x a game, get a participation HOF vote.

Funny you'd use that argument when a closer gets in. I love Mo, and his stats and playoff stats are incredible - but his job was 3-5 outs each performance.

Funny you'd use that argument when a closer gets in. I love Mo, and his stats and playoff stats are incredible - but his job was 3-5 outs each performance.
That’s almost a different sport from being a DH.

r960-ee5f0d85c3fd711f8e8747b3233bbc8d.jpg

Millennials put Edgar in.

Stand up and do something 4x a game, get a participation HOF vote.
It must suck for you as the David Arias isn't getting into the HOF is now gone. Edgar was a weaker candidate than Ortiz. David Ortiz was a big winner yesterday.

Also while I think Mussina deserved his induction it is a joke the BBWAA uses politics to keep Schilling out. Schilling is a slightly better candidate than Mussina but his stupid politics keep him out.

It must suck for you as the David Arias isn't getting into the HOF is now gone. Edgar was a weaker candidate than Ortiz. David Ortiz was a big winner yesterday.

Also while I think Mussina deserved his induction it is a joke the BBWAA uses politics to keep Schilling out. Schilling is a slightly better candidate than Mussina but his stupid politics keep him out.

As much as I dislike Schilling, both deserve it over Smoltz

As much as I dislike Schilling, both deserve it over Smoltz
I didn’t get Smoltz as a first ballot guy and Mussina a 5th ballot guy.
They are remarkably similar when Mussina had 60% of his starts at Camden Yards, Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park in a tougher division.
Smoltz has 1 CY Young and the postseason wins but I didn’t see him better than Schilling(who finished 2nd to Randy Johnson in multiple CY Young’s) and Mussina who spent his career in the AL East.

I always thought Smoltz was a horse and Mussina just a nice pitcher on good teams.. Never thought of Mussina as a dominant pitcher.
IMNO, Mussina didn't deserve to make it. But several undeserving other pitchers have been the Hall recently, and that makes it harder to retain the proper level of selectivity.

It is a shame these sportswriters are rubber stamping very good players as hall of fame players. Some of them surely voted for Army for the Lambert Trophy as well.

While a lot of guys had far better peaks in their careers than Mussina, Mussina was a well-above average pitcher for a long time, and rarely had anything approaching a bad year. I think a pretty good comp is Don Sutton. And he's in.

Bonds and Clemens and Schilling all deserve to be in. The process and the HOF itself cheapen itself every time politics and holier than though types rule the day.

Hall of Fame voters are the worst! If someone deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, then just vote for them. Stop making statements with your ballots. The "Player B can't go in on the first ballot because Player A didn't" crap drives me nuts. If Mike Mussina is worthy of the Hall of Fame in 2019, then he was in 2014. It is all nonsense! I understand why Dan Le Batard attempted to give his ballot to Deadspin readers.

if you are a pitcher to get in you better be one that other teams hope they missed you in the rotation when you came to town. not sure Mussina or Sutton ever fit that description.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom