Basket Ball report (Warning: I'm no Tomcat)... | Syracusefan.com

Basket Ball report (Warning: I'm no Tomcat)...

cto

Administrator
First, a disclaimer. Unlike Tomcat I did not take a single note (or read the program). Plus, I went through the evening not thinking I would write something about it. Also, there was much red wine consumed (Unlike Tomcat, I've never drunk ginger ale in my life). But I will do my best.

The party at the Turning Stone last night, with more than 700 attendees, was the 20th annual Basket Ball, the black-tie event benefitting the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation that has raised many millions of dollars to support programs for under-served children in Central New York. I am one of the few people who has attended all 20 of them. Each year it gets better.

The entertainment was the best ever. Vanessa Williams, SU alum and entertainment superstar, was simply amazing. I fell in l love with her on the night in 1983 when she sang "Happy Days Are Here Again" to become the first African American crowned Miss America. It is criminal that they took away her crown because some bastard photographer sold nude photos of her ... photos that were taken when she was trying to earn money to help pay for college. Think of it: the wife of the US president posed for nude photos for an international magazine, and no one bats an eye. And a young college student, who needs money, poses for what she thought were private photos ... and she gets stripped of her "Miss America" title. It's an injustice equal to Jim Boeheim having those wins removed from his record. Maybe I should start a crusade to get both the crown and wins restored. But I digress.

Vanessa was absolutely fabulous. As was Sean McDonough as the MC. There was much joking afterward that Sean should be the MC every year. I think he would do it. He is the best .. because he knows JB so well.. He and Vanessa were at SU at the same time. And Vanessa and I grew up five miles from each other in Northern Westchester County, but we never met before last night. During the dinner part of the evening, both Sean and Vanessa posed for countless photos with people who had cell phones (like everyone there). And they were amazingly gracious about it.

Okay, back to the event... As usual, most of the team and staff were there. At the reception, a well-organized photo op .. allowed guests to get their photos taken with the team. Oshea was there.. but Tyus and Frank were not. The photo op is a nice tradition. I chatted with folks who have 10 years or more of these photos.

Okay, food. Always a Tomcat highlight. I was so busy schmoozing and talking that I didn't eat much (or observe much) at the reception. However, I must say that the al dente asparagus and cheese selection were delicious. I know there was all kinds of other stuff, but I didn't pay much attention. As for the dinner: the first course was a pretty little salad with all the ingredients tied together in a ribbon .. sort of like a bouquet. It was very tasty. Main course was the usual combo of surf and turf (grilled shrimp and a nicely prepared filet mignon). I seriously have no memory of a desert... But I think there was one.

Post dinner, some folks danced until 1 a.m. And some other people gambled until 6 a.m. In order to protect the guilty .. no names will be disclosed.

Other stuff: both the silent auction and live auction were very successful. Someone bought Adam Weitzman's Super Bowl trip for $25,000. Amazingly, the buyer was a total stranger to Jim and Juli... a first time attendee at the Basket Ball. JB is an EXCELLENT auctioneer. He could have a second career doing it.

Here is the Post Standard's report on the evening: Jim Boeheim celebrates 20 years of Basket Ball Gala: ‘Beyond anything I ever thought’

Here is a truly bad photo of Vanessa, Sean and me. It is so bad, that I may delete it. Contrary to this photo, Vanessa is seriously beautiful. I thought Carla Fischer's photo skills were better than this:

Last edited:
Very common for the outgoing Srs. to not be there.

In fact, most years that’s the case.
maybe I'm remembering wrong then - seem to remember graduating seniors in recent years being there

This was great! I always enjoy these “social” bball reports.

I still wonder what happened with Frank. I assume/hope he’s going to graduate.

Oh well, on to next season, but not before a fabulous summer, and a fantastic football season!

Any tidbits on incoming recruiting class? What's in store for next year? Appreciate the report!

First, a warning, unlike Tomcat I did not take a single note (or save a program). Plus, I went through the evening not knowing I would try to write something about it. Also, there was much red wine consumed (I've never drunk ginger ale in my life). But I will do my best.

The party at the Turning Stone last night was the 20th annual Basket Ball, the black-tie event benefitting the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation that has raised many millions of dollars to support programs for under-served children in Central New York. I am one of the few people who has attended all 20 of them. Each year it gets better.

The entertainment was the best ever. Vanessa Williams, SU alum and entertainment superstar, was simply amazing. I fell in l love with her on the night in 1984 when she sang "Happy Days Are Here Again" to become the first African American crowned Miss America. It is criminal that they took away her crown because some bastard photographer sold nude photos of her ... photos that were taken when she was trying to earn money to help pay for college. Think of it: the wife of the US president posed for nude photos for an international magazine, and no one bats an eye. And a young college student, who needs money, poses for what she thought were private photos ... and she gets stripped of her "Miss America" title. It's an injustice equal to Jim Boeheim having those wins removed from his record. Maybe I should start a crusade to get both the crown and wins restored. But I digress.

Vanessa was absolutely fabulous. As was Sean McDonough as the MC. There was much joking afterward that Sean should be the MC every year. I think he would actually do it. He is really the best .. because he knows JB so well.. He and Vanessa were actually at SU at the same time. And Vanessa and I grew up five miles from each other in Northern Westchester County, but we never met before last night. During the dinner part of the evening, both Sean and Vanessa posed for scores of photos with people who had cell phones (like everyone there). And they were so amazingly gracious about it.

Okay, back to the event... As usual, most of the team and staff were there. At the reception, a well-organized photo op .. allowed guests to get their photos taken with the team. Oshea was there.. but Tyus and Frank were not. This photo op is a nice tradition. I was chatting with some folks who have 10 years or more of these photos.

Okay, food. Always a Tomcat highlight. I was so busy schmoozing and talking that I didn't eat much (or observe much) at the reception. However, I must say that the al dente asparagus and cheese selection were delicious. I know there was all kinds of other stuff, but I didn't pay much attention. As for the dinner: the first course was a pretty little salad with all the ingredients wrapped in a ribbon .. sort of like a bouquet. It was very tasty. Main course was the usual combo of surf and turf (grilled shrimp and a nicely prepared filet mignon). I seriously have no memory of a desert... But I think there was one.

Post dinner, some folks danced until 1 a.m. And some other people gambled until 6 a.m. In order to protect the guilty .. no names will be disclosed.

Other stuff: both the silent auction and live auction were very successful. Someone bought Adam Weitzman's Super Bowl trip for $25,000. Amazingly, that buyer was a total stranger to Jim and Juli... a first time attendee at the Basket Ball. JB is an EXCELLENT auctioneer. He could have a second career doing it.

Here is the Post Standard's report on the evening: Jim Boeheim celebrates 20 years of Basket Ball Gala: ‘Beyond anything I ever thought’

Here is a truly bad photo of Vanessa, Sean and me. It is so bad, that I may delete it. Vanessa is seriously beautiful. I thought Carla Fischer's photo skills were better than this:

View attachment 161310
Great report but I thought Joe Pesci was the only one who used al dente in a sentence.

if you hadn't said that was sean mcdonough in that pic . . . he looks like a character from a david lynch film

Mention of your gracious player lounge donation should have been made! Thanks for summary-fun

Are there plans to continue with this annual tradition even after JB retires? Retirement shouldn't have anything to do with the timeline - it's just that at some point that question of succession needs to be considered. I hope the foundation has a plan in place to continue for many more years.

Are there plans to continue with this annual tradition even after JB retires? Retirement shouldn't have anything to do with the timeline - it's just that at some point that question of succession needs to be considered. I hope the foundation has a plan in place to continue for many more years.

Nice attempt to hijack another thread. Let's stop talking about a charity event ... and turn it into the 200th thread about JB's retirement plans. Great idea.

Last edited:
Ha! I know Carla (her hubby Doug is one of my fraternity brothers; we hung w/ them at the CWB), so I can imagine that perhaps some wine-induced "pilot error" may have been involved in the taking of that photo!
;)

My wife and I also grew up in that area, and she knew Mrs Williams (Vanessa's mom) as a music teacher.
Small world!!

PS - Great writeup! Thx!

Great report - thanks for sharing! It's so cool they've been doing this fundraiser for so long.

I'm getting very hungry thinking about grilled shrimp and fillet mignon (the main course)!

Thanks for sharing... no one actually goes to these events for the food so limited review on that aspect never a problem .

Glad to hear the entertainment was good and that they raised a lot of $$ for the foundation.

Lol, you are such a joke.

Nice attempt to hijack another thread. Let's stop talking about a charity event ... and turn it into the 200th thread about JB's retirement plans. Great idea.
Asking if they have a succession plan for this event because of JB’s age is a perfectly natural question to ask. There is usually only one thread for this event every year, so it didn’t make sense to start a new one. If anyone else had posed that question the reply would’ve been far more civil... or at worst moved to a new thread. A normal reply would’ve been: yes they have some ideas, they might go to a rotating list of connected alumni, or it’s not something they’re concerned with at the moment.

Asking if they have a succession plan for this event because of JB’s age is a perfectly natural question to ask. There is usually only one thread for this event every year, so it didn’t make sense to start a new one. If anyone else had posed that question the reply would’ve been far more civil... or at worst moved to a new thread. A normal reply would’ve been: yes they have some ideas, they might go to a rotating list of connected alumni, or it’s not something they’re concerned with at the moment.

How would anyone here know their thinking on the subject... or whether they have even thought about the subject? Why can't we just enjoy the moment and applaud their generosity? It's not easy to put on an event like this, year after year. You doubtless have no idea how much time and effort goes into it. ("Oh, honey, let's have a world-class party for 800 people next week.")

This seems to be your modus operandi. Last week, in a thread about a new players lounge, your only comment was to question whether the players would use it.

And, by the way, don't go off on an ego trip. This is not about you. My response would have been the same no matter who asked these questions

Last edited:
How would anyone here know their thinking on the subject... or whether they have even thought about the subject? Why can't we just enjoy the moment and applaud their generosity? It's not easy to put on an event like this, year after year. You doubtless have no idea how much time and effort goes into it.
some people are very well connected and have access that others don’t have (or at least that’s the impression) so it seems like a natural question. Worst case nobody knows or cannot comment.

I also don’t understand how the question in any way detracts from the general sentiment in the thread. If anything it’s a testament to the event’s importance to the community that they should be thinking about succession and continuity. My guess is they will take it one-year-at-a-time.

Great write up CTO. I tell myself every year I'm going to go and then don't plan for it. I'm doing it this next year.
I was thinking the same thing—both about Joyce’s great writeup, and about how much I’ve thought about going and still want to. If cuseinseattle can get the guy in his profile pic as his +1 and then let me sit at the same table, that’ll seal the deal. I’ll bring Tristan, or CurtB.

One year I will go. But with the LEAD conference that was my spring trip.
So I almost bought the house next door to Vanessa when we bought our first home. Came extremely close to being her next door neighbor. Back in 1983. I forget if it was in Armonk or Chappaqua, as we were looking at both. I remember the street very well. It had only 4 homes on it. I think she then moved a couple of years later to another home. We ended up purchasing a new home in Livingston, NJ instead.

First, a disclaimer. Unlike Tomcat I did not take a single note (or read the program). Plus, I went through the evening not thinking I would write something about it. Also, there was much red wine consumed (Unlike Tomcat, I've never drunk ginger ale in my life). But I will do my best.

The party at the Turning Stone last night, with more than 700 attendees, was the 20th annual Basket Ball, the black-tie event benefitting the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation that has raised many millions of dollars to support programs for under-served children in Central New York. I am one of the few people who has attended all 20 of them. Each year it gets better.

The entertainment was the best ever. Vanessa Williams, SU alum and entertainment superstar, was simply amazing. I fell in l love with her on the night in 1983 when she sang "Happy Days Are Here Again" to become the first African American crowned Miss America. It is criminal that they took away her crown because some bastard photographer sold nude photos of her ... photos that were taken when she was trying to earn money to help pay for college. Think of it: the wife of the US president posed for nude photos for an international magazine, and no one bats an eye. And a young college student, who needs money, poses for what she thought were private photos ... and she gets stripped of her "Miss America" title. It's an injustice equal to Jim Boeheim having those wins removed from his record. Maybe I should start a crusade to get both the crown and wins restored. But I digress.

Vanessa was absolutely fabulous. As was Sean McDonough as the MC. There was much joking afterward that Sean should be the MC every year. I think he would do it. He is the best .. because he knows JB so well.. He and Vanessa were at SU at the same time. And Vanessa and I grew up five miles from each other in Northern Westchester County, but we never met before last night. During the dinner part of the evening, both Sean and Vanessa posed for countless photos with people who had cell phones (like everyone there). And they were amazingly gracious about it.

Okay, back to the event... As usual, most of the team and staff were there. At the reception, a well-organized photo op .. allowed guests to get their photos taken with the team. Oshea was there.. but Tyus and Frank were not. The photo op is a nice tradition. I chatted with folks who have 10 years or more of these photos.

Okay, food. Always a Tomcat highlight. I was so busy schmoozing and talking that I didn't eat much (or observe much) at the reception. However, I must say that the al dente asparagus and cheese selection were delicious. I know there was all kinds of other stuff, but I didn't pay much attention. As for the dinner: the first course was a pretty little salad with all the ingredients tied together in a ribbon .. sort of like a bouquet. It was very tasty. Main course was the usual combo of surf and turf (grilled shrimp and a nicely prepared filet mignon). I seriously have no memory of a desert... But I think there was one.

Other stuff: both the silent auction and live auction were very successful. Someone bought Adam Weitzman's Super Bowl trip for $25,000. Amazingly, the buyer was a total stranger to Jim and Juli... a first time attendee at the Basket Ball. JB is an EXCELLENT auctioneer. He could have a second career doing it.

Here is a truly bad photo of Vanessa, Sean and me. It is so bad, that I may delete it. Contrary to this photo, Vanessa is seriously beautiful. I thought Carla Fischer's photo skills were better than this:

View attachment 161310

Thank you for such a great report!
As for comparing yourself to Tomcat, well, the only thing missing was the ginger ale review! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom