battle 3 pt shooting | Syracusefan.com

battle 3 pt shooting

moqui

generational talent
interesting trend:
as a freshman, he took more threes than twos, 164 to 129
as a sophomore, he took more twos than threes, 347 to 239 - a ratio of 1 three for every 1.45 twos
so far as a junior, it is 174 twos to 71 threes, the ratio up to 1 three for every 2.45 twos.

but at the same time, his 3 pt percentage has gone down every year
freshman .366
sophomore .322
junior .296

which is really weird because you would think with greater selectivity you'd see improving accuracy

Last edited:
you would think with greater selectivity you'd see improving accuracy
This season, Tyus is always looking to get to the rim. He wants the 2, and when he takes the 3 it's because that's all there is. It's not the best shot, and it's not the shot he really wants. My two cents.

All else equal, when you go from being the #3 option on offense to the unquestioned #1 option on offense, you're going to get more defensive attention, coaches will game plan for you, and you'll get the best defender on the floor most of the time. Also, the #1 option on offense takes most of the shots when a play breaks down or the shot clock runs out.

interesting trend:
as a freshman, he took more threes than twos, 164 to 129
as a sophomore, he took more twos than threes, 347 to 239 - a ratio of 1 three for every 1.45 twos
so far as a junior, it is 174 twos to 71 threes, the ratio up to 1 three for every 2.45 twos.

but at the same time, his 3 pt percentage has gone down every year
freshman .366
sophomore .322
junior .296

which is really weird because you would think with greater selectivity you'd see improving accuracy
Could it be related to closing point gaps in 2nd half?

I remember that as a freshman he had a foot issue that seemed to limit his explosiveness. That plus a veteran playmaker at PG left him in more of a spot up shooter role a lot of the time that year.

Odd trend -- we've seen with a couple of examples of seniors fairly recently that have been solid percentage shooters from three earlier in their career shooting sub-30% from three as seniors.

Most notably Triche and CJ Fair, and now Battle.

Odd trend -- we've seen with a couple of examples of seniors fairly recently that have been solid percentage shooters from three earlier in their career shooting sub-30% from three as seniors.

Most notably Triche and CJ Fair, and now Battle.
Fair's made sense to me. His high percentage year was deceiving. He was smart about which threes to take then. As soon as the selection and volume changed, that percentage didn't have a chance to stick.

Fair's made sense to me. His high percentage year was deceiving. He was smart about which threes to take then. As soon as the selection and volume changed, that percentage didn't have a chance to stick.

Yes, this.
That one year, CJ was like the 3rd or 4th option on O, so he would get WIDE. OPEN. THREES.
Which he would hit at a high %.

As he became more The Man, and then THE MAN, his usage went sky high, and so naturally his % went down.

To play in the NBA you gonna have to have that shot in your arsenal and he doesn’t show that he’s a threat from college line

I think you should reverse it for CJ, the high percentage isn't deceiving the low percentage is. Because the degree of difficulty of the shot increased. Happened to GMac too.

Currently, Buddy may be one to not have to experience the decrease. Good shooter who, in my optimistic orange view, will always be a 3rd type option. His percentage should increase as he gets accustomed to the college game - I think it already is on the rise.

Yes, this.
That one year, CJ was like the 3rd or 4th option on O, so he would get WIDE. OPEN. THREES.
Which he would hit at a high %.

As he became more The Man, and then THE MAN, his usage went sky high, and so naturally his % went down.

Agree to some degree -- but CJ was a good shooter, as evidenced by his consistent mid range shot. While some decrease is understandable, It shouldn't have dropped THAT much.

What was the reason with Triche?

I think you should reverse it for CJ, the high percentage isn't deceiving the low percentage is. Because the degree of difficulty of the shot increased. Happened to GMac too.

Currently, Buddy may be one to not have to experience the decrease. Good shooter who, in my optimistic orange view, will always be a 3rd type option. His percentage should increase as he gets accustomed to the college game - I think it already is on the rise.
Do not get me started on GMac's shooting percentages.

Agree to some degree -- but CJ was a good shooter, as evidenced by his consistent mid range shot. While some decrease is understandable, It shouldn't have dropped THAT much.

CJ was a consistent mid-range shooter.
Other than the one outlier season, he was never a good 3pt shooter - and still isn't.
It's the main reason he's never made it in the NBA.

C.J. Fair

There are a handful of guys in the NBA who are GREAT mid-range shooters, but can't hit the 3-ball well.
They are mostly a dying breed now tho.

Triche's Frosh year was similar to CJ's Jr year - both only took WIDE OPEN THREES, and since there were several other scoring threats for opponents to worry about, they hit their shots at a nice rate.

His volume of 3's increased by 50-100% the next 3 seasons vs. Frosh year, so naturally his % went down.
When you're taking that many 3's, almost by definition the quality of the looks goes down as the # goes up.

Brandon Triche

As I recall, Triche's percentage from deep was decent until around midway through his senior season, when it dropped off precipitously. I believe he may have been playing through injury to either his hand or his back (or maybe both) that year, but can't say for sure. Perhaps someone remembers more.

There’s been a lot of players enter the NBA who couldn’t make threes, but became good shooters. Battle’s shot looks better and he will become a reliable three point shooter in the future. I wouldn’t bet against the kid.

Do not get me started on GMac's shooting percentages.
Yeah, I thought that was you.

Anyway, I think another good companion measure for pure open shot potential is the FT%. The good 3 point marksman should be good FT shooters.
Battle is at 79% FT, so I think he is still a solid option for a 3. On the other hand, although Marek is currently a 46% 3 pt shooter, his 53% FT indicates maybe he shouldn't be hoisting too many.

He excels at the deep two! Is there way to see his shooting percentage from different segmented areas on the court? I know those stats are relatively easy to find for NBA players, but not sure you can get them for college.

Yeah, I thought that was you.

Anyway, I think another good companion measure for pure open shot potential is the FT%. The good 3 point marksman should be good FT shooters.
Battle is at 79% FT, so I think he is still a solid option for a 3. On the other hand, although Marek is currently a 46% 3 pt shooter, his 53% FT indicates maybe he shouldn't be hoisting too many.
Oh, it's me.

Wasn't Marek decent at the line last season?

Some players are more comfortable in

1548303237906.png

than in

1548303266890.png

All else equal, when you go from being the #3 option on offense to the unquestioned #1 option on offense, you're going to get more defensive attention, coaches will game plan for you, and you'll get the best defender on the floor most of the time. Also, the #1 option on offense takes most of the shots when a play breaks down or the shot clock runs out.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

He excels at the deep two! Is there way to see his shooting percentage from different segmented areas on the court? I know those stats are relatively easy to find for NBA players, but not sure you can get them for college.

This data is looks to be from early in the season, but looking through Battle, Brissett and Hughes, one thing stands out, there are very few corner three attempts. Shot selection is partly the problem.

Shot Chart - The Stepien

I see some of this too. He and Howard get stuck taking some prayers when a teammate dumps them the ball with 2 on the shot clock.

My memory could be failing, but I do observe that Battle is taking more low-percentage stepback threes than ever before. As a freshman, I believe he was usually able to step into his shot. Again, part of that has to do with his being the third or fourth option back then. But he could improve his discretion this season as well.

Triche was really hurting for most of his senior year, no? Back, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom