Battle & Brissett Stock Watch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle & Brissett Stock Watch

So now what? Wait for the phone to ring? Doesn't seem optimal...

Who advised these guys to leave? The cost of living on a campus like Syracuse for free, free education, free basketball instruction, free food has to be very close to the salaries they will receive as a free agent signee (with a less than 5% chance of being added to roster)

Who advised these guys to leave? The cost of living on a campus like Syracuse for free, free education, free basketball instruction, free food has to be very close to the salaries they will receive as a free agent signee (with a less than 5% chance of being added to roster)
They'll both make money overseas. Plus, Battle has a degree, I believe (or is within a few credits.)

Horton Tucker and Bradzeikis are both better prospects and only freshmen. Tyus and Oshae got some terrible advice feel bad for them hope they sneak in these last dozen picks.

It's just as well to move them on. They weren't getting any better, in all likelihood.

They'll both make money overseas. Plus, Battle has a degree, I believe (or is within a few credits.)

I've always been under the impression if you aren't drafted it's a bad trade to leave college without your degree in tow. If Battle got it, then makes sense for him to begin his career regardless. A guy like Brissett needs more maturation in his game. He stagnated this year in a big way. As I said, bad advice (geared to him if battle graduated)

I've always been under the impression if you aren't drafted it's a bad trade to leave college without your degree in tow. If Battle got it, then makes sense for him to begin his career regardless. A guy like Brissett needs more maturation in his game. He stagnated this year in a big way. As I said, bad advice (geared to him if battle graduated)
Other people on this board would know. My understanding is that he only had a few credits left in the Spring. And Syracuse lets its players come back and finish their degrees for free in the future. Derrick Coleman recently graduated.

They can come back and get their degree at any time

You’ve always been mistaken.

These guys grew up dreaming of playing hoops professionally.

Not of obtaining their Rhetorical Studies degree.

There’s a very short window during which they can pursue that dream.

They can finish up their degree anytime.

It's just as well to move them on. They weren't getting any better, in all likelihood.

Possibly.

They entered last season both firmly in this years draft (somewhere) and had a bad summer that led to them showing up no better and possibly worse and another disappointing year for us.

I tend to think things go differently and they seize the opportunity to return as the best players in the ACC. But we'll never know. Not sure how many minutes either can get in the G league (yes they can find their way onto a roster) nor how good of a Euro contract they will get. Another year helps out their non NBA prospects as well.

Both guys have ideal NBA measurables. Sorry this one stings losing our 2 best players early for them to go undrafted and this is uncharted territory for us everyone before them in this spot has been called almost always in the first round.

The only thing you said that I agree with is advice. Everything else is a moot point. Like the Ohio State QB said, we're not here to play school. Some take advantage of it and some don't. Everyone wants to play pro ball. While you want to see your team get better by them returning, it's their decision to make and they have to live with it.

I don't think Tyus would have been drafted last year either FWIW. Brissett always had one foot out the door this season and it all started with the Vegas trip. He came back a worse player who was trying to do things he wasn't capable of in an effort to showcase his skills to scouts. He needed another year.

They took their calculated choices and have experienced a major bump in the road. I’ve moved on.

I wish Tyus and Oshae great luck in further developing their games towards another shot, or at least a sizeable amount of cash.

I hate to see kids making stupid decisions... Brissett being the worse of the two...

Brissett's decision to leave was comical. Huge huge upside but still learning how to play the game. He had trouble finishing layups around the rim in college. Let alone be able to take his man off the dribble or shoot consistently. Has all the tools though, had he stuck around and continued to improve (for free) all these things wrong with his game likely would've been a 1st rounder in 2 years. Shame.

In the "NBA"? Maybe I go for like a lower case nba for summer league.

He now has the belt for worst su leave early decision. I think getting that NBA combine invite was not a great thing for him.

Battle has a shot at the Fred Van Vleet path if things break perfect for him. Brisset, I just don't see how he gets from here to there. His skill set is so far away, and every team he will be on going forward will look for him to produce immediately, or else they'll cut him and get the next of the hundred guys in line.

Best of luck to both. Wish it could have been different.

In the "NBA"? Maybe I go for like a lower case nba for summer league.

He now has the belt for worst su leave early decision. I think getting that NBA combine invite was not a great thing for him.

Battle has a shot at the Fred Van Vleet path if things break perfect for him. Brisset, I just don't see how he gets from here to there. His skill set is so far away, and every team he will be on going forward will look for him to produce immediately, or else they'll cut him and get the next of the hundred guys in line.

Best of luck to both. Wish it could have been different.
Most of the consensus from NBA scouts is OB has a better chance than Battle to stick.

Brissett's decision to leave was comical. Huge huge upside but still learning how to play the game. He had trouble finishing layups around the rim in college. Let alone be able to take his man off the dribble or shoot consistently. Has all the tools though, had he stuck around and continued to improve (for free) all these things wrong with his game likely would've been a 1st rounder in 2 years. Shame.
My uninformed take... Brissett sees himself as a 3 in the pros and Syracuse staff sees him as a 4 in college. My guess is the SU staff doesn't want Brissett getting ready for the pros on their dime and made it clear to him that if he comes back he is playing inside the paint as much as possible. If that's the case and I am Brissett I make the same move as well.. he can go to the D league and work on transforming his game to being a 3 there.

The real indictment here isn't on the players... its on how far we have sunk from a talent perspective that our best guys on a team don't get drafted. Not sure what the cause is but we have a serious talent deficit compared to our ACC peers and that is a concern moving forward that needs to be addressed ASAP.

There is no promise Oshae would have improved. He regressed last year, and Battle didn't improve.
You're right nothing was guaranteed but I think the risk was worth it given that he is now basically unemployed (please don't mistake a summer league invite with no guarantees as anything significant). Oshae was better as a freshman than as a sophomore and I don't think it would be a stretch to believe he could have learned from his mistakes last year and improved to a point where he could have gotten drafted next year.
There's no more guessing. He did not get drafted. Leaving was a mistake. Anyone who says otherwise is just being stubborn to a fault.
As far as comparing him to Tyus, even the biggest Tyus fan had to admit he has reached his ceiling in college. There was zero reason for him to come back. Oshae is nowhere as skilled as Tyus and he clearly had room for improvement. That he is where he is right now is a shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom