Battle & Brissett Stock Watch | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Battle & Brissett Stock Watch

Congrats to both of them on the renewed opportunities. Should be a fun summer of very very hard work. I think they’re each up to it

The real indictment here isn't on the players... its on how far we have sunk from a talent perspective that our best guys on a team don't get drafted. Not sure what the cause is but we have a serious talent deficit compared to our ACC peers and that is a concern moving forward that needs to be addressed ASAP.

yea no I don't really see it that way. Brissett was talented and would've been drafted had he stuck around. It's ok to have 3 & 4 year guys and teams win with it. Battle was a tier one college player and lit it up night after night. Who really cares about the NBA,

My uninformed take... Brissett sees himself as a 3 in the pros and Syracuse staff sees him as a 4 in college. My guess is the SU staff doesn't want Brissett getting ready for the pros on their dime and made it clear to him that if he comes back he is playing inside the paint as much as possible. If that's the case and I am Brissett I make the same move as well.. he can go to the D league and work on transforming his game to being a 3 there.

The real indictment here isn't on the players... its on how far we have sunk from a talent perspective that our best guys on a team don't get drafted. Not sure what the cause is but we have a serious talent deficit compared to our ACC peers and that is a concern moving forward that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Teams best guys don't get drafted all of the time. Brissett was a college four. He could not dribble not could he shoot. He had none of the skills that a prototypical SF has. He should have never been on the wing or beyond the perimeter because he can't stretch the floor or keep a defense honest. Wasn't only an uniformed take but one of the worst ones and that's saying a lot.

There is no promise Oshae would have improved. He regressed last year, and Battle didn't improve.

Battle did improve but his 3 point shooting didn’t. He played out of position as a point guard, improved his ball handling, rebounding and assist #’s, plus lowered his TO’s despite carrying more of the ballhandling duties. However his 3point shooting didn’t improve. He actually took less 3 point shots this past year than his frosh or soph years. His optimum range seemed to be just inside the arc and with talk about moving the NBA 3 point shot out further, it probably hurt his evaluation more. He did show more skill diversity but shooting guards are valued more for their shooting.

You’ve always been mistaken.

These guys grew up dreaming of playing hoops professionally.

Not of obtaining their Rhetorical Studies degree.

There’s a very short window during which they can pursue that dream.

They can finish up their degree anytime.

Going back to school is another one of those things that sounds good but basically never happens. Less than 10% actually return to school. Once gone, they're gone.

My uninformed take... Brissett sees himself as a 3 in the pros and Syracuse staff sees him as a 4 in college. My guess is the SU staff doesn't want Brissett getting ready for the pros on their dime and made it clear to him that if he comes back he is playing inside the paint as much as possible. If that's the case and I am Brissett I make the same move as well.. he can go to the D league and work on transforming his game to being a 3 there.

Geez...hyperventilate much?
Notwithstanding all the rhetorical drama inherent in your post, this really isn't hard.
For the first time in over a decade SU has gone 2 consecutive years w/out a player being drafted. If we supposed that Bazeley or one of the early outs had stayed, that streak would've likely stayed in tact.
I believe UKansas had NO ONE drafted last night, is that an indication their "talent level" has been weak? :rolleyes:

Basketball is becoming position-less. Everyone does the same thing. SU had no problem with Brissett trying 3's driving to the basket for shot, foul, or hitting the open man from 3. Their problem was lack of success at it. He was poor from 3, struggled with hitting the driving layups, and never could hit an open player from 3 for the assist.

Going back to school is another one of those things that sounds good but basically never happens. Less than 10% actually return to school. Once gone, they're gone.
Players at big time programs go to college to try to live their NBA dreams.
The days of Hal Cohen being a pre-med starting guard are (all but) over and have been for a long time.
Degrees generally have little meaning.
Rakeem Christmas and Tyus Battle are exceptions.

Battle and Brissett will both have careers...somewhere.
Good luck to them.
Especially Tyus...who has exemplified class and gunned down G-town (TWICE)!

A thing people always overlook is maybe these guys just didn't like the college experience for one reason or another.

Basketball is becoming position-less. Everyone does the same thing. SU had no problem with Brissett trying 3's driving to the basket for shot, foul, or hitting the open man from 3. Their problem was lack of success at it. He was poor from 3, struggled with hitting the driving layups, and never could hit an open player from 3 for the assist.
Exactly. If brisset could have displayed NBA skill levels of dribbling and shooting JB would have let him do it.

The problem was that brisset wanted to spend time doing things he's not good at and JB wanted him to spend time doing things he is good at.

Geez...hyperventilate much?
Notwithstanding all the rhetorical drama inherent in your post, this really isn't hard.
For the first time in over a decade SU has gone 2 consecutive years w/out a player being drafted. If we supposed that Bazeley or one of the early outs had stayed, that streak would've likely stayed in tact.
I believe UKansas had NO ONE drafted last night, is that an indication their "talent level" has been weak? :rolleyes:
I'm not seeing any 'hyperventilation' there.
Plus, re: Kansas — they won 14 straight conference titles. This year, they finished third.

Brissett's decision to leave was comical. Huge huge upside but still learning how to play the game. He had trouble finishing layups around the rim in college. Let alone be able to take his man off the dribble or shoot consistently. Has all the tools though, had he stuck around and continued to improve (for free) all these things wrong with his game likely would've been a 1st rounder in 2 years. Shame.

His head wasn't in the right place to be that guy, though.
That's why it's ok that he moves on.

Guerrier might give us more than we got from Brissett last year, or right about there.

yea no I don't really see it that way. Brissett was talented and would've been drafted had he stuck around. It's ok to have 3 & 4 year guys and teams win with it. Battle was a tier one college player and lit it up night after night. Who really cares about the NBA,

Yes, but if they aren't focused on winning games, and they're mostly focused on being drafted, then "NEXT".

That's my point of view. Started with Dontae Green. He wouldn't rebound and all he would do is shoot threes and dunk on the break. Super highlights player, but didn't do the things teams need to win.

Yes, but if they aren't focused on winning games, and they're mostly focused on being drafted, then "NEXT".

That's my point of view. Started with Dontae Green. He wouldn't rebound and all he would do is shoot threes and dunk on the break. Super highlights player, but didn't do the things teams need to win.

Good point. Among the many things that can destroy team chemistry is having part of the team auditioning for the NBA while the remainder are trying to play college ball.

Players at big time programs go to college to try to live their NBA dreams.
The days of Hal Cohen being a pre-med starting guard are (all but) over and have been for a long time.
Degrees generally have little meaning.
Rakeem Christmas and Tyus Battle are exceptions.

Battle and Brissett will both have careers...somewhere.
Good luck to them.
Especially Tyus...who has exemplified class and gunned down G-town (TWICE)!

Tyus is set up to get his degree in just a few more credits, so it must mean something to him. If you're wishing him good luck, you're also congratulating him on getting his degree.

A degree may not mean much to top college bball players but that doesn't mean it shouldn't. This from a study by the Association of Public Land Grant Universities:
"The evidence that a college degree significantly improves one’s employment prospects and earnings potential is overwhelming. Bachelor’s degree holders are half as likely to be unemployed as their peers who only have a high school degree and they make $1 million in additional earnings on average over their lifetime."

So you take a shot at making it in the NBA (a long shot for most) or in Europe (most guys don't adjust to the itinerant lifestyle) and if you don't make it, unless you're the exception you don't go back to school. So what you're left with is a high school degree.

I’m not sure why people have to take shots. Here’s to him working himself onto a team.
Not a shot at him it’s the reality of the situation. He’s a decent player not worthy of a draft spot just like any honest person with half a basketball brain knew all along. Good luck to him getting better and trying to live out his dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom