Battle mid-range jumper is NBA ready | Syracusefan.com

Battle mid-range jumper is NBA ready

Caboose

Scout Team
I don't care what anyone says about him including the "hitch" in his shot, but he is hitting that mid-range jumper with enough consistency that NBA scouts have to be noticing. He's going to go low to mid 2nd round. He gets to the hole much of the time w ease and recognizes the openings to do so rather quickly. Sure he's got some holes in his game but he's really knocking down his j's and step back j's w astonishing regularity this year.

I don't care what anyone says about him including the "hitch" in his shot, but he is hitting that mid-range jumper with enough consistency that NBA scouts have to be noticing. He's going to go low to mid 2nd round. He gets to the hole much of the time w ease and recognizes the openings to do so rather quickly. Sure he's got some holes in his game but he's really knocking down his j's and step back j's w astonishing regularity this year.

Agreed, but can he make an NBA-three between 35-40% of time? That's the question.

Agreed, but can he make an NBA-three between 35-40% of time? That's the question.
I agree that def is the question mark he'll need to answer this summer.

There is still room for a good mid range jumper in the NBA, as long as he uses it to make it easier to get sufficient drives to basket and draw fouls (the more higher efficiency shots). Battle does not yet have the handle for that.

While his inconsistent jumper is an issue... the bigger issue is he will struggle to get it off because he can’t get by anyone. I meant even average athletes in college can shut him down in a half court set.

Let me know which NBA game spray chart you were looking at that showed only dunk and three point attempts.
Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 2.22.46 PM.png

Here ya go. Also, Battle's not gonna have the ball in his hands a lot because he's going to be looked at as a 3-D wing, not a pg or dominant scorer, so he's going to be asked to make corner 3's. If anything, his shot distribution that teams will want from will look more like this.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 2.27.46 PM.png

View attachment 154933

Here ya go. Also, Battle's not gonna have the ball in his hands a lot because he's going to be looked at as a 3-D wing, not a pg or dominant scorer, so he's going to be asked to make corner 3's. If anything, his shot distribution that teams will want from will look more like this.

View attachment 154934
I asked for a spray chart from a game, not the best perimeter shooters in the game lol. There's a difference. Maybe you can show me a spray chart from Shaq from 20 years ago and argue that Tyus doesn't have enough dunks in his game lol. This was hilarious. I get it tho, you don't think Tyus is NBA caliber and you think he sucks.

i love Tyus but no one is drafting him based on his mid range game. By all accounts Tyus is a tireless worker and my hope is that he can find a spot for a few years and get paid.

I asked for a spray chart from a game, not the best perimeter shooters in the game lol. There's a difference. Maybe you can show me a spray chart from Shaq from 20 years ago and argue that Tyus doesn't have enough dunks in his game lol. This was hilarious. I get it tho, you don't think Tyus is NBA caliber and you think he sucks.

I think the point is more that players whose dominant skill is mid-range, you can even think of someone like Melo, are a relatively rare breed as the NBA heavily values threes and shots at the rim for efficiency. That's not to say players WON'T take the mid-range jumpers, but I would imagine it's quite rare to see anyone with that as their best attribute garnering much interest right now.

It would be the other things that would have to get him into the league...and does he have enough "other" things.

I think the point is more that players whose dominant skill is mid-range, you can even think of someone like Melo, are a relatively rare breed as the NBA heavily values threes and shots at the rim for efficiency. That's not to say players WON'T take the mid-range jumpers, but I would imagine it's quite rare to see anyone with that as their best attribute garnering much interest right now.

It would be the other things that would have to get him into the league...and does he have enough "other" things.
The only player in the NBA who regularly takes contested mid-range shots like Battle is Durant. Just a guess but I’m not sure Battle will get the same leeway KD does. This has been said ad nauseum but I’ll say it again... Battle’s position in the NBA would be a 3 and D guy but he, at least as of yet, hasn’t shown the D instincts or the 3 point shot to play that position. He’s neither a good enough shooter nor dribbler to play the 2 in the NBA and definitely not a good enough creator or dribbler to play the 1. He’s a great scorer on broken plays... I hope he gets a d league shot to figure out how his games fits into the NBA.

What NBA teams want a SG that's a poor 3 point shooter? None. And unfortunately for all his pluses Battle is poor from the college trey distance. Not a good look come draft time.

What NBA teams want a SG that's a poor 3 point shooter? None. And unfortunately for all his pluses Battle is poor from the college trey distance. Not a good look come draft time.

I think Tyus' best shot at the NBA is at the point guard spot. He has excellent size, a decent handle, and get to the rim. I doubt he'll ever be a great 3 point NBA shooter, but with his very solid 15-20' range, if he continues to improve his handle, passing, etc. I think best case scenerio he could be like a Rondo type.

I have a feeling Michael Jordan appreciates his game. The Hornets have two second round picks, i think. My stupid/baseless prediction, Battle to Charlotte.

I’m currently at an NBA game (barely the Knicks are hideous) and I think I’ve seen like 5 mid range jumpers in this half

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom