Battle will only play the 2, Thompson will only play the 5 | Syracusefan.com

Battle will only play the 2, Thompson will only play the 5

That is OttoinGrotto's bold prediction.

You can argue it, but you'll be wrong. All of Battle's minutes will be at shooting guard, and all of Thompson's minutes will be at center.
Yes Thompson defense prohibits him from wing but I wish he could play the 4 with Sidbe at 5

Don't think it's bold with Battle.

Thompson, depending on if he's a disaster on the wing in practice. Could very well happen.

Don't think it's bold with Battle.

Thompson, depending on if he's a disaster on the wing in practice. Could very well happen.
I'm thinking that last year there were few people available to take his minutes so he didn't push himself on defense. Hopefully this is right and he is working hard to understand how to properly position himself at both the 4 and the 5. I think his NBA position is going to be the 4 but we shall see. It would be nice to see him play a very effective 30 minutes per game.

Battle playing the 2 exclusively isn't too bold. TT playing strictly the 5 is a little bolder, but it's a darn shame if/when it happens. We should be able to play guys at their correct positions, but haven't been able to do that for one reason or another the last 3 or 4 years. Nothing about TT is a Center, but I'm relenting that that's probably where his minutes will come from.

I agree, except that TT will possibly get a minute or two at the 4 before quickly being moved to the middle. Marek, OB, and MM will man the 3/4. Tyus doesn't move from the 2. Geno, and Tyus may switch up who brings the ball up at times, but Tyus is a 2, and isn't playing a second on the wing.

Battle playing the 2 exclusively isn't too bold. TT playing strictly the 5 is a little bolder, but it's a darn shame if/when it happens. We should be able to play guys at their correct positions, but haven't been able to do that for one reason or another the last 3 or 4 years. Nothing about TT is a Center, but I'm relenting that that's probably where his minutes will come from.
I think in the college game, Thompson's correct position is the 5.

I'll believe that when I see a low-block game from him, rather than 15-18 foot jumpers. He has a baby hook, but he can also spin off the dribble. I haven't seen an up and under or a drop step from him. He struggles to keep position for rebounds and is not strong enough to be the go-to post guy. I like his timing for blocks, but he's better on ball than off ball, suggesting that he could help a center rather than be the center. The best you'll get from me is a stretch 5 (which is another way of saying a big who has a mid-range jumper). I won't argue with you about TB. But if TT's playing center, that'll mean that, not only are we not getting the best out of him, we're also not getting production from other bigs recruited to anchor the zone (Chukwu and Sidibe).

I don't see that. Speaking purely about the defensive side, I just don't see him being interested in displaying the kind of physicality it takes. And opposing teams seem to target him with interior screens that he doesn't contest. How many shots did he block? Not that that's everything, but there's no lane deterrent, and he's too easily moved out of position. Even if Sidibe is thinner, he looks like he just has the mentality for the 5.

I hope Sidibe and Chukwu are ready to contribute at the 5, and at least one of the 3 freshman forwards are ready to do so at the 4. Put the pressure on Thompson to push himself defensively and get better, because he knows he won't get on the court for awhile if he doesn't. That would be the best scenario of all.

I'll believe that when I see a low-block game from him, rather than 15-18 foot jumpers. He has a baby hook, but he can also spin off the dribble. I haven't seen an up and under or a drop step from him. He struggles to keep position for rebounds and is not strong enough to be the go-to post guy. I like his timing for blocks, but he's better on ball than off ball, suggesting that he could help a center rather than be the center. The best you'll get from me is a stretch 5 (which is another way of saying a big who has a mid-range jumper). I won't argue with you about TB. But if TT's playing center, that'll mean that, not only are we not getting the best out of him, we're also not getting production from other bigs recruited to anchor the zone (Chukwu and Sidibe).
This cracks me up. There's zero chance if the topic was to define the skill set of a Syracuse University center that you'd throw out "must demonstrate a drop step/the ability to go up and under."

Thompson can't play exclusively 5 or then Chukwu is worthless as a backup. JB will start Thompson on the wing and always have the 5 option of Sidibe isn't ready to play.

Thompson can't play exclusively 5 or then Chukwu is worthless as a backup. JB will start Thompson on the wing and always have the 5 option of Sidibe isn't ready to play.
I think TT starts the game at the 5. I don't think PC starts. Pick two of three of Moyer, MD or Brissett as the two forwards that start.

I think TT starts the game at the 5. I don't think PC starts. Pick two of three of Moyer, MD or Brissett as the two forwards that start.
Yep.

The NBA is the ultimate goal for these guys. He can't play Center in the NBA but fits PF perfectly, on offense at least. He can play the 5 in college but I don't think that's the best use of his skillset.

The NBA is the ultimate goal for these guys. He can't play Center in the NBA but fits PF perfectly, on offense at least. He can play the 5 in college but I don't think that's the best use of his skillset.

Maybe if he can consistenly develop deep range like Lydon into a stretch-4. Otherwise he would get eaten alive at the next level by any starting caliber PF, IMO. Guys like Ibaka/Favors/Morris twins/Kanter/Millsap would kill him. Then there are the top guys who need no mention.

That is OttoinGrotto's bold prediction.

You can argue it, but you'll be wrong. All of Battle's minutes will be at shooting guard, and all of Thompson's minutes will be at center.

there's no way that will be right. all they need is one minute at another position, and it will for sure occur at some point in a pre con game when we are up big

there's no way that will be right. all they need is one minute at another position, and it will for sure occur at some point in a pre con game when we are up big
That's why it's a bold prediction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom