Battle | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle

This will be my only post about the Duke game, cause i am sure others will go over aspects ad nauseum.

I like Battle. I think he is an NBA player. He's a thoroughbred athletically.

But my God, for a player of his ability, he is completely naive technically/tactically. He can't defend in transition. He's not productive without the ball on offense in transition. He has not demonstrated an understanding of how to use screens (i.e., flair, curl, fade). He is not a good passer. He doenst drive and dish, drive and kick, get shots for Frank. He doesn't help break the press. For his athleticism, he is not a good rebounder. He is completely one dimension. Give him the ball and he can go at someone. Put a player in front of him with the ball, he can stay in front.

I've given him a lot of slack because he is playing 3 on 5 most nights in the ACC. He also plays a ton of minutes, and the miles will catch up with anyone. But watching him tonight was an exercise in frustration. I know he has games where he goes off (thank God), but tonight highlighted his lack of acumen.

I think he leaves this year. I don't know if he should (these decisions take into account more than just the ability of the player). I hope he comes back. We'll be better next year with him than without him.

Edit: Feel free to merge this with the "Love Battle" thread.

I couldn't agree more with this. Nothing but respect for the guy that can take and make the big shot and Tyus is definitely that guy. I would love to have him back next year. He would absolutely make us better next year, but he does lack all those things you mentioned. The most frustrating thing I've noticed is that he is not strong with the ball for a guard. His hands aren't Pascal bad, more like Paul Harris bad. At least a couple times a game he'll bobble a rebound or a pass, or won't be able to grab a loose ball. Super frustrating to watch.

Tyus does have limited vision but we have guys standing around so much watching almost always.

Why would any player bother to move when Tyus is driving to the basket? He NEVER passes off the dribble. NEVER. The only time he passes is after he gives up his dribble. His teammates know this, so I'm sure they just give up and stand around once he puts the ball on the deck.

There is better off ball movement when Frank gets into the lane, at least he looks to pass sometimes. I mean, Moyer and Chukwu are not exactly great targets, but at least they cut towards the basket when Frank gets into the paint.

Why would any player bother to move when Tyus is driving to the basket? He NEVER passes off the dribble. NEVER. The only time he passes is after he gives up his dribble. His teammates know this, so I'm sure they just give up and stand around once he puts the ball on the deck.

There is better off ball movement when Frank gets into the lane, at least he looks to pass sometimes. I mean, Moyer and Chukwu are not exactly great targets, but at least they cut towards the basket when Frank gets into the paint.

I mean that’s one theory. I have seen him a couple of times (granted not much) dump it off for a dunk or a bobbled pass. He often dominated the ball in high school but made plays and passes for others. I think the ability is there somewhere. Regardless, there is too much standing, IMO, whenever he (or Frank) have the ball. We never move the defense either...never. We just attack one side of the floor.

with all due respect it is nonsense to say if ty came back that he would not help this team.

there would be an opportunity for him to round out his game. he would not have to force isos. he could work on his shooting form and his passing skills (if any).

he would not have to play forty minutes. maybe that would help his energy. he might get some minutes the the three.

i think his game is really better suited to the three than the two, at least until he improves his outside shot, but he would have prove he could board playing at the threespot.

all in all, if he came back, he should be able to play himself into the second round. no way he goes first round unless he quantumly improves his three point shot.

if he leaves now, it is probably 50-50, whether he gets drafted at all or goes end of second round.
I should have explained why. Bazely and Brissett will get most run at forward with marek gettin some minutes. Hughes and Howard getting most run at guard unless Battle is back and then it’s Howard Battle Carey and Hughes trying to fit in a rotation with a coach without a rotation. Jim don’t like subbing too many people. As far as i have heard lately, Hughes isn’t quiet as explosive as Battle but heard he shoots better and passes better. Not sure though as I haven’t seen it. That’s why I said what I said. Jim could be 4 studs deap at guard and he is only playing 2.25 of them and we all know it.

I should have explained why. Bazely and Brissett will get most run at forward with marek gettin some minutes. Hughes and Howard getting most run at guard unless Battle is back and then it’s Howard Battle Carey and Hughes trying to fit in a rotation with a coach without a rotation. Jim don’t like subbing too many people. As far as i have heard lately, Hughes isn’t quiet as explosive as Battle but heard he shoots better and passes better. Not sure though as I haven’t seen it. That’s why I said what I said. Jim could be 4 studs deap at guard and he is only playing 2.25 of them and we all know it.
ty is a borderline nba player. additionally he is an upperclassman with experience in the system. i understand what you are saying.

though we seem to have enough answers wo ty, none of those answers are proven. additionally, our d is strong this season, ty is a part of that.

besides being our best player right now, there is also room for improvement in tys game.

ty could be a huge piece if he returned.

now, will the coach utilize that piece properly in the context of also developing other newcomers ? that is a fair question, but to say we would be better off wo a near nba caliber player...no way !!!

battle plays 40 minutes a night so i understand he has to pick his "battles".
but playing a full 40 and picking up just 1,2 or no fouls a game ? last 10 games he averages 1.4 fouls per.
and that includes 4 against bc. he plays soft defense. mix it up some as stated above. you get 5.
So you'd prefer he played like his hair was on fire and got himself in foul trouble when his job is to stay on the court and be this team's primary scorer?

ty is a borderline nba player. additionally he is an upperclassman with experience in the system. i understand what you are saying.

though we seem to have enough answers wo ty, none of those answers are proven. additionally, our d is strong this season, ty is a part of that.

besides being our best player right now, there is also room for improvement in tys game.

ty could be a huge piece if he returned.

now, will the coach utilize that piece properly in the context of also developing other newcomers ? that is a fair question, but to say we would be better off wo a near nba caliber player...no way !!!
Makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom