Battle | Syracusefan.com

Battle

Shrmdougluvr

Give it all to me fool!
This will be my only post about the Duke game, cause i am sure others will go over aspects ad nauseum.

I like Battle. I think he is an NBA player. He's a thoroughbred athletically.

But my God, for a player of his ability, he is completely naive technically/tactically. He can't defend in transition. He's not productive without the ball on offense in transition. He has not demonstrated an understanding of how to use screens (i.e., flair, curl, fade). He is not a good passer. He doenst drive and dish, drive and kick, get shots for Frank. He doesn't help break the press. For his athleticism, he is not a good rebounder. He is completely one dimension. Give him the ball and he can go at someone. Put a player in front of him with the ball, he can stay in front.

I've given him a lot of slack because he is playing 3 on 5 most nights in the ACC. He also plays a ton of minutes, and the miles will catch up with anyone. But watching him tonight was an exercise in frustration. I know he has games where he goes off (thank God), but tonight highlighted his lack of acumen.

I think he leaves this year. I don't know if he should (these decisions take into account more than just the ability of the player). I hope he comes back. We'll be better next year with him than without him.

Edit: Feel free to merge this with the "Love Battle" thread.

You bring up some good points for sure. I don’t know. The whole team doesn’t screen well for years...screeners, the guards using the screens not waiting enough, poor angles, etc. I think it’s a systemic epidemic.

Sometimes we get penetration from others and other games we get nothing. I don’t think Frank and Tyus complement each other that well, actually. Often they just settle for jacks and have a tough time setting each other up. The difference in speed between Tyus and Frank is also glaring. Tyus does have limited vision but we have guys standing around so much watching almost always. Guys struggling to finish. It’s just not a good offensive team at all. At the pace we play we are now 128 per KenPom in AdjO and now 182 via TeamRankings.com. That’s pretty bad.

The dude has no chance at getting into an NBA rotation if he cant shoot from the outside. None. The league has 100 dudes like him sitting at the end of benches who get in 1/10 blow outs. If he can develop a legit / consistent outside shot...everything changes.

I suspect he might get drafted late second round. Maybe. But he’s not playing in the NBA. He’ll carve out a nice career in Europe.

1 more year would be good for him But I don’t know if it helps the team any better.

This will be my only post about the Duke game, cause i am sure others will go over aspects ad nauseum.

I like Battle. I think he is an NBA player. He's a thoroughbred athletically.

But my God, for a player of his ability, he is completely naive technically/tactically. He can't defend in transition. He's not productive without the ball on offense in transition. He has not demonstrated an understanding of how to use screens (i.e., flair, curl, fade). He is not a good passer. He doenst drive and dish, drive and kick, get shots for Frank. He doesn't help break the press. For his athleticism, he is not a good rebounder. He is completely one dimension. Give him the ball and he can go at someone. Put a player in front of him with the ball, he can stay in front.

I've given him a lot of slack because he is playing 3 on 5 most nights in the ACC. He also plays a ton of minutes, and the miles will catch up with anyone. But watching him tonight was an exercise in frustration. I know he has games where he goes off (thank God), but tonight highlighted his lack of acumen.

I think he leaves this year. I don't know if he should (these decisions take into account more than just the ability of the player). I hope he comes back. We'll be better next year with him than without him.

Edit: Feel free to merge this with the "Love Battle" thread.

"Put a player in front of him with the ball, he can stay in front."

He scored 26 against UNC when he couldn't throw it in the ocean by blowing by people. I think the difference is that we were playing against a zone where there's always someone there when you blow by people. It's strange that we play a zone and have no idea as team how to attack it. It makes everyone look bad.

"Put a player in front of him with the ball, he can stay in front."

He scored 26 against UNC when he couldn't throw it in the ocean by blowing by people. I think the difference is that we were playing against a zone where there's always someone there when you blow by people. It's strange that we play a zone and have no idea as team how to attack it. It makes everyone look bad.

I was referring to his ability to defend one-on-one.

They know how to attack it. The players just aren't good at the skills it requires. ie shooting and passing
They know how to attack it. The players just aren't good at the skills it requires. ie shooting and passing

Marek knows exactly what to do vs the zone. For some reason the latter part of the year he looks more scared and tentative than when he first started. how does that make any sense? he is literally devolving

1 more year would be good for him But I don’t know if it helps the team any better.
This is actually a legit question...

How good is Carey? Is Buddy immediately playable as an elite shooter off the bench? Where does Hughes fit in the mix?

Battle is a high usage ISO player. Perhaps he would adjust with better players around him but there should be high expectations for Senior Frank with talent around him. Brissett and Bazley have lottery pick potential. Does a high usage, somewhat inefficient player hurt chemistry?... Can he adjust and defer a bit?

with all due respect it is nonsense to say if ty came back that he would not help this team.

there would be an opportunity for him to round out his game. he would not have to force isos. he could work on his shooting form and his passing skills (if any).

he would not have to play forty minutes. maybe that would help his energy. he might get some minutes the the three.

i think his game is really better suited to the three than the two, at least until he improves his outside shot, but he would have prove he could board playing at the threespot.

all in all, if he came back, he should be able to play himself into the second round. no way he goes first round unless he quantumly improves his three point shot.

if he leaves now, it is probably 50-50, whether he gets drafted at all or goes end of second round.

"ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR!"

Hopefully we chant that to him on "Senior Day"

with all due respect it is nonsense to say if ty came back that he would not help this team.

there would be an opportunity for him to round out his game. he would not have to force isos. he could work on his shooting form and his passing skills (if any).

he would not have to play forty minutes. maybe that would help his energy. he might get some minutes the the three.

i think his game is really better suited to the three than the two, at least until he improves his outside shot, but he would have prove he could board playing at the threespot.

all in all, if he came back, he should be able to play himself into the second round. no way he goes first round unless he quantumly improves his three point shot.

if he leaves now, it is probably 50-50, whether he gets drafted at all or goes end of second round.
Battle does not fit playing the 3. He doesn't rebound hardly at all. He doesn't have the desire to mix it up inside. At 6'6 he's a little small for the back line of our zone and way too small for the NBA. His spot in the NBA is SG where he has prototypical size. But his 3 pt shooting is sub standard for the NBA. I'm guessing he leaves if he gets any indication he gets drafted mid to late 2nd round. Second rounders used to get no guaranteed money but lately teams are giving many of them $500k for 1 year even if they get sent to the G league. They are kind of like a lottery ticket. However most are out of the league after that 1 year. Very few 2nd rounders stick.

So the assumption is that playing at Syracuse one more year instead of developing in an NBA organization would help fix those things?

He's got the baseline talent and physical attributes to make it in the league. Not really sure how our offense, playing zone and going to class for another year helps him more than having the resources available to him through an NBA team for development.

I love how all of his deficiencies are on him and not on our program. No shared responsibility? Interesting.

He is gone and JB knows it.

Battle is a good player.
He isn’t a superstar but the kid has little support and his HC is reliant on him more than almost any player in America.

Let’s just hope Hughes can play. We are short handed this year so he can play next year.

So the assumption is that playing at Syracuse one more year instead of developing in an NBA organization would help fix those things?

He's got the baseline talent and physical attributes to make it in the league. Not really sure how our offense, playing zone and going to class for another year helps him more than having the resources available to him through an NBA team for development.

I love how all of his deficiencies are on him and not on our program. No shared responsibility? Interesting.
Pro coaching will help Battle MILES more than staying at Syracuse going to class, and only having 20 hours a week to work on his craft with coaching.

battle plays 40 minutes a night so i understand he has to pick his "battles".
but playing a full 40 and picking up just 1,2 or no fouls a game ? last 10 games he averages 1.4 fouls per.
and that includes 4 against bc. he plays soft defense. mix it up some as stated above. you get 5.

I think if he has the right mindset - i.e., that he'll have to pay his g-league dues after (hopefully) getting drafted in the 2nd round - he'll be ok. seems like a hard worker and coachable. really needs to work on that shot and becoming a legit 3pt threat...
but yeah, this is his last season at SU

I think their assumption is based on the question whether an NBA team is going to spend money and effort to develop him vs their other preferred options. It’s a business and the time/effort to develop a highly prized draft choice isn’t the same as a late 2nd rounder or undrafted player. Players sent down by the NBA for development are automatically going to get a starting role and an emphasis made on their development. When investments are made in a player monetarily. the investors care about their payback. Now if he’s a high draft choice with guaranteed money, the odds are pretty darn good his development will be a priority.

I think their assumption is based on the question whether an NBA team is going to spend money and effort to develop him vs their other preferred options. It’s a business and the time/effort to develop a highly prized draft choice isn’t the same as a late 2nd rounder or undrafted player. Players sent down by the NBA for development are automatically going to get a starting role and an emphasis made on their development. When investments are made in a player monetarily. the investors care about their payback. Now if he’s a high draft choice with guaranteed money, the odds are pretty darn good his development will be a priority.

I think he'll be prioritized even if he's a second round pick. They're worth more than ever now that the cap is slowing to a crawl (in fact, certain players have acknowledged that not smoothing out the pay increase was a mistake). It also is a position with little depth at the NBA level. He has the height and size.

With every team having a G-League team now, I think he's fine being a second round pick and getting the attention he deserves. I mean, this isn't baseball with a million rounds, teams have two rounds, they can prioritize all the picks they get.

I think he'll be prioritized even if he's a second round pick. They're worth more than ever now that the cap is slowing to a crawl (in fact, certain players have acknowledged that not smoothing out the pay increase was a mistake). It also is a position with little depth at the NBA level. He has the height and size.

With every team having a G-League team now, I think he's fine being a second round pick and getting the attention he deserves. I mean, this isn't baseball with a million rounds, teams have two rounds, they can prioritize all the picks they get.
Second round picks are gold now.
It’s how the contending teams build bench depth now.
You can lock them up for 4 years and give them one year guaranteed and if they bust they don’t kill your cap.

Battle will get two way contract and probably a year or two guaranteed then work in the G League and become a bench 2nd unit guy after.

Marek knows exactly what to do vs the zone. For some reason the latter part of the year he looks more scared and tentative than when he first started. how does that make any sense? he is literally devolving
Sounds like what people were saying this time last year about Roberson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom