Baylor down to third QB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Baylor down to third QB

qdawgg said:
Math also dictates (no pun intended) that you place the numbers in correct order. 1,2,3,4,5 and so on. See how that works? So if your depth chart realistically has the best QB's playing behind QB's they are better than, the math ain't working.

Everyone can play games with the QB numbers but Mahoney was 5th string, a walk on and running the scout team. Circumstances dictated his assent to #1. Wilson is the only QB he went ahead of during the season. The other 3 were injuries.

qdawgg said:
and you clearly don't have great reading comprehension skills. Which is fine, I don't fault you for that but you keep responding. Read my post again, who cares where Mahoney was on the depth chart, he was clearly better than where he was and wasn't realistically at #5. ED is a better QB than TH and he was at #2

Ok, after the fact at best you can say he was a 4th string walk on.

Everyone can play games with the QB numbers but Mahoney was 5th string, a walk on and running the . . . . . team. Circumstances dictated his assent to #1. Wilson is the only QB he went ahead of during the season. The other 3 were injuries.

Yes. Everyone can play games with the numbers. All it takes is a piece of paper and a couple commas.

Our 3rd best QB had to play. And he did a pretty nice job for his first action.

Chip said:
Yes. Everyone can play games with the numbers. All it takes is a piece of paper and a couple commas. Our 3rd best QB had to play. And he did a pretty nice job for his first action.

When did he become better than AJ?

Apparently at some point between when AJ hurt his hand, and when he got disqualified due to his 3rd concussion.

But - not coming into the season, when AJ was a returning scholarship QB who had started several games the prior season.
Hunt was the clear #1, Dungey had snuck past Wilson for #2, Wilson #3, Long #4, Mahoney #5.

It doesn't matter if The Officer goes on to win the Heisman next season; coming into the 2015 season, he was our 5th string QB.
Point blank, period. Full stop.

His status NOW -
which may be our 2nd best, or possibly best (due to ED's "UBI") QB, doesn't change the fact that he was a former 5th string (and still walk-on) QB.

You could also make a case that Womack was better then Mahoney at the start of the season. Then they wanted Womack on the field ASAP. This numbers game is really fun ;)

rrlbees said:

There was no AJ.

Chip said:
There was no AJ.

You can tell him that when he got his 3rd concussion in practice. When his wrist healed, he would have played if not for the concussion.

rrlbees said:
You can tell him that when he got his 3rd concussion in practice. When his wrist healed, he would have played if not for the concussion.

Well I don't doubt you know more about it than me, but I connect the dots differently, from AJ saying he'll redshirt to nerve damage in the wrist to career ending concussions to his bitterness since. It just paints a picture to me who wasn't in the plans this year, no matter which comma they stuck his name after.

And given that you can't implement a triple option overnight, I don't think Austin Wilson was meant to be more than the guy signaling in the plays, even if the coaches eased in Mahoney during the CMU game.

It really doesn't matter, but the 5th string stuff just seemed a little over dramatic.

Then? Riley Dixon

Now? Riley Dixon. And Wilson. And Womack.

For somebody who posts as much about this team as you do, one would think you'd know this sorta stuff.
The third or fourth stringer backs up the fifth. I get it

Millhouse said:
A year ago

If everyone were healthy, AJ plays before Mahoney. Why? Because he's better.

You could also make a case that Womack was better then Mahoney at the start of the season. Then they wanted Womack on the field ASAP. This numbers game is really fun ;)

this is correct

once upon a time Mahoney was 6th string behind Hunt, AJ, Wilson, Dungey and Womack

math

No one is playing games with numbers. Mahoney didn't play QB until his senior year in HS. He went to a JC after he got no offers. He was 5th string at the start of the year. He is a non scholarship player. He was undoubtedly far behind the three star QB recruit Wilson and far behind Hunt, Dungey, and Long before the season started. He got thrust into QB duties after the top three were injured and It was apparent Wilson was overrated and unusable. He has been better than you would expect of a 5th string walk on QB, but don't get ahead of yourself. He has a 46% completion percentage. He is not a D1 QB.

Surprise surprise, Baylor's high octane offense struggled last night. In part because of weather and in part because they were playing a 3rd string QB. Neither are an excuse though.

There's no denying how great Baylor's offense is, my point is that you can never overlook the variables to view the system objectively.

Didn't know until last night that baylors 3rd stringer was the 5th rated dual threat qb the nation out of hs. Rough

yeah the 3rd string kid came in a as highly recruited QB that RS and then moved out because they got better qbs in the system and then moved back when they had issues. far different than what SU had to go thru.

and he looked lost last week except the deep ball was there a couple times, his throws last night were awful and they never tried to make it easier on him or he never checked down. but i thought these high flying offenses worked all the time or so we are told.

Yeah, let's judge the system after a game in a typhoon.

Remember when SU lost to Rutgers in 1999 and everyone blamed the wind?