Baylor, it turns out... | Syracusefan.com

Baylor, it turns out...

Baylor is in a much better place than they were before Drew arrived, and there is no track record to suggest that things would not simply go back to the way things were. Firing him would fall into the category of "be careful what you wish for ..."

Exactly! He has had his share of players but he's simply not a very good coach.
Baylor is in a much better place than they were before Drew arrived, and there is no track record to suggest that things would not simply go back to the way things were. Firing him would fall into the category of "be careful what you wish for ..."
I feel the same way about Josh Pastner. He makes Memphis better but has yet to make that climb. At least he finally got a ranked win this season after going what, 0-13 against top 25 opponents?

They've had a pretty brutal schedule that has pretty much destroyed their confidence and ability to play like they were pre XMas.

I didn't realize they were 1-5 in the conference. Their schedule must be front loaded. Or else the Big 12 is really good this year.

They're like Northwestern when we played them in football - thought they were the real deal and then they crapped the bed.

In recent history the Big12 has been right behind the Big East in quality depth (with a big dropoff to the third best conference in that department), it's hard to win when you're facing very good teams night-in, night-out. My guess is if they finish 8-10 in conference they're definitely in the tournament, 7-11 and maybe they have to win one in the B12T.

Exactly! He has had his share of players but he's simply not a very good coach.

Fact. That team has enough talent to be good - he just kind of sucks at everything other than dirty recruiting tactics.

Who would have thought that Minnesota would turn out to be a more valuable win for us.

When you consider where the Baylor program was when Drew took over, I feel like he's done a pretty good job. Probably not so much this year though

In recent history the Big12 has been right behind the Big East in quality depth (with a big dropoff to the third best conference in that department), it's hard to win when you're facing very good teams night-in, night-out. My guess is if they finish 8-10 in conference they're definitely in the tournament, 7-11 and maybe they have to win one in the B12T.

RPI forecast had them projected at 8-10 in B12 entering today.

Resume was
18-11
RPI 39
5-9 vs top 50
8-11 vs top 100
One bad loss at Tex Tech
OOC SOS #26, wins over Kentucky and Colorado.

I would agree that at 8-10 they were getting in. That was before today's loss at home vs Texas. I think 8-10 is going to be difficult to reach at this point.

Ba

Drew did a good job rebuilding the program and had a couple of good years. However, he is and has been a terrible basketball coach when it comes to X's and O's, motivation and pretty much anything not related to recruiting. Baylor athletics of old are gone, the dedication to have top tier programs in every major sport has never been stronger. Baylor now has top notch basketball and football facilities and is paying top notch salaries to it's top coaches (Briles, KM(women's ball) and Drew). Baylor is in a great spot in terms of facilities, location(central Texas) and willingness to to pay top salaries. There is no doubt in my mind that we can get a better basketball coach than Scott Drew and eventually we will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom