Bazley should run the Point next year | Syracusefan.com

Bazley should run the Point next year

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
I've been watching a ton of his videos and seen some game action on TV. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't walk in here and immediately be our best point guard. I don't care that he's 6'8. Ball needs to start off in his hands most possessions.

I've been watching a ton of his videos and seen some game action on TV. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't walk in here and immediately be our best point guard. I don't care that he's 6'8. Ball needs to start off in his hands most possessions.

The ball will be in his hands a lot. There will be plenty of times we will clear out for him but he’s not going to be the point guard.

Princeton runs a great, simple play against man a lot. Bazley has the ball, passes to a wing and dives to the block and posts up his man. It’s a matchup nightmare because he does have a back-to-basket game.

Not sure about that but it is really appealing we could have a lineup where as many as four guys are capable of bringing the ball up or taking their man off the bounce. Hopefully also with two guys who are legitimate threats to shoot from the outside as well. Would love to see Frank be off the ball as a shooting guard most of the year.

Not sure about that but it is really appealing we could have a lineup where as many as four guys are capable of bringing the ball up or taking their man off the bounce. Hopefully also with two guys who are legitimate threats to shoot from the outside as well. Would love to see Frank be off the ball as a shooting guard most of the year.

I like the idea of Frank off the ball. We have such a logjam at the 2 though. Playing the 2 would take some pressure off him. We should have some flexibility.

He’ll play the 5 but not the 1.

I like the idea of Frank off the ball. We have such a logjam at the 2 though. Playing the 2 would take some pressure off him. We should have some flexibility.
Strange to even think that we might have a logjam if Battle returns. It's been a long time. Who will play 6th man.

Strange to even think that we might have a logjam if Battle returns. It's been a long time. Who will play 6th man.

That “if” is extremely big. The roster was set up with the idea Tyus won’t be here. Despite his draft projection, it would be jaw-dropping if he comes back.

He has Lamar Odom point forward skills.
If he plays the 5 it would be stupid.
The kid isn’t going to have strength to play the middle.
Chukwu/Sidibe/ and new recruit should be the 5s.

Bazley is a 3/4.

That “if” is extremely big. The roster was set up with the idea Tyus won’t be here. Despite his draft projection, it would be jaw-dropping if he comes back.
I think his draft projections go up after he works out for teams, but there is still a possibility if he's not a guaranteed 1st rounder.

He has Lamar Odom point forward skills.
If he plays the 5 it would be stupid.
The kid isn’t going to have strength to play the middle.
Chukwu/Sidibe/ and new recruit should be the 5s.

Bazley is a 3/4.

A lineup of Baze, Oshae, Marek,Frank, Carey ( assuming no battle) could be exceptional on offense and provide enough length on D. We have to be able to compete on offense and play 5 on 5 on that side of the ball more often. A healthy sidibe would provide that too but the lineup above presents matchup nightmares everywhere.

Some 5, yes, but primarily either of the forward spots. Let’s see what our roster looks like but it’s fun to speculate.

Really hope he’s dedicated in the weight room. He needs 10 pounds.

He’ll definitely play the 3/4 but I’m betting he’ll play some 5. Him, Brissett, Hughes, Carey and Frank will be a strong offense but probably give up some on defense. How much he plays the 5 will be determined by Sids health and development. But we won’t play a minute at the 1.

He’ll definitely play the 3/4 but I’m betting he’ll play some 5. Him, Brissett, Hughes, Carey and Frank will be a strong offense but probably give up some on defense. How much he plays the 5 will be determined by Sids health and development. But we won’t play a minute at the 1.

We should have a really strong 1-8 next year with good depth even beyond that if needed.

This barring no other unexpected attrition.

Playing the 5 seems like a major stretch given that he's 6'8"/6'9" and weighs 190 pounds. Too skinny to play the 5 imo, at least next year anyway.

Playing the 5 seems like a major stretch given that he's 6'8"/6'9" and weighs 190 pounds. Too skinny to play the 5 imo, at least next year anyway.

Marek has played the 5 this year. Granted not real successful and due to injuries/foul trouble. I can see Baz getting some time there. Many teams play 3 forwards.

Moyer seems like a 5 fit better than marek physically.. Except he is so out of position so often.

It's hard to believe but between Chukwu and Sidebe that they combined for 8.2 ppg, 10.0 rpg and 3.4 bpg this season in 39.8 mpg. In comparison, MD and MM combined for 8.5 ppg and 8.9 rpg in 45.5 mpg. If Sidibe is more healthy and those numbers are improved upon, we hopefully won't need a third string.

I agree with you and Iommi, but I really hope Brent Ace asks JB about the possibility of Bazely getting minutes at the PG position.

If frank’s stats improve even slightly he’ll be a near favorite for All ACC at the guard spot.

But yes let force another player into a role he’s not meant for

Jb would laugh.

He may to get cute but you don’t think there will be plenty of instances where Bazely will have the ball in his hands top of key with the freedom to make a play for himself or others with the SC winding down? The more the merrier to be able to handle the ball and make plays.

He may to get cute but you don’t think there will be plenty of instances where Bazely will have the ball in his hands top of key with the freedom to make a play for himself or others with the SC winding down? The more the merrier to be able to handle the ball and make plays.

That’s not being or playing PG which was the topic.

Jb would laugh.
You don’t have to be a guard to be the point.
He can be a point forward.
The point just facilitates other players by putting them in position to score.
Scottie Pippen wasn’t a guard but he was a point forward.
Lamar Odom was a point forward who handled the ball in the halfcourt.
Ben Simmons now is a point forward.
As is LeBron James.

Just because Bazley won’t be a 1 doesn’t mean he can’t be the top assist man or facilitator next year. Which I am sure JB wouldn’t laugh at.

That’s not being or playing PG which was the topic.

They all know the plays. Bazely is more than capable I bet and has the skillset to play a little PG if needed to. I don’t know why I bother. JB and Frank are so revered and untouchable in your eyes.