Bazley should run the Point next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley should run the Point next year

He’ll definitely play the 3/4 but I’m betting he’ll play some 5. Him, Brissett, Hughes, Carey and Frank will be a strong offense but probably give up some on defense. How much he plays the 5 will be determined by Sids health and development. But we won’t play a minute at the 1.

I agree. What dasher said was spot on too. He will be used a lot as a safety valve to take the ball up against pressure quite a bit.

Reactions: 007
You need to read the post too to know what the title meant.

Maybe, but I'm not allowing any amendments to the original. And, what you stated originally mentions nothing in regard to the post, just the thread title. ;):)

You don’t have to be a guard to be the point.
He can be a point forward.
The point just facilitates other players by putting them in position to score.
Scottie Pippen wasn’t a guard but he was a point forward.
Lamar Odom was a point forward who handled the ball in the halfcourt.
Ben Simmons now is a point forward.
As is LeBron James.

Just because Bazley won’t be a 1 doesn’t mean he can’t be the top assist man or facilitator next year. Which I am sure JB wouldn’t laugh at.

BTW Ben Simmons could be a point forward, but that is not how he is currently used.

When the Sixers play their base lineup, Simmons is in fact the point guard.
When he plays with TJ McConnell on the court, McConnell brings that ball up and initiates offense.

Maybe, but I'm not allowing any amendments to the original. And, what you stated originally mentions nothing in regard to the post, just the thread title. ;):)

Cool. Since we’re parsing words I will say that the term “run the point” has been used when talking about the point guard. Never heard it used to describe a point foreword.

What say you arbitrator?

Cool. Since we’re parsing words I will say that the term “run the point” has been used when talking about the point guard. Never heard it used to describe a point foreword.

What say you arbitrator?

without reading any posts in this thread, i would say that Melo ran a lot of "point" in 2003. Basically anytime we were pressed.

This is what Darius told me in October about how he envisions his role. Outside of this, the one thing he kept mentioning is how versatile he is. That's his deal: he doesn't care where he plays, as long as he's helping the team.
---------------

VB:
Do you consider yourself a 3, a 4, or do you think Syracuse will be able to plug you in anywhere you’re needed?

DB: Yeah, me, I’m a player. Nobody can guard me. Wherever you put me, I’m just gonna dominate. They put me at the 3, I feel sorry for the 3. They put me at the 4, I feel sorry for the 4. If they put me at the 5, it’s going to be a long night.

What say you arbitrator?

I'm just having a little fun. :) Anyways, I'll respond to your inquiry by saying, I think it's subject to interpretation as in today's game there are several examples of players not guards who at times"run the point."

It's hard to believe but between Chukwu and Sidebe that they combined for 8.2 ppg, 10.0 rpg and 3.4 bpg this season in 39.8 mpg. In comparison, MD and MM combined for 8.5 ppg and 8.9 rpg in 45.5 mpg. If Sidibe is more healthy and those numbers are improved upon, we hopefully won't need a third string.

If we could get the C's production to 11/10 and that Forward position to 13/10 - we would be about 26-5 right now.

I'm just having a little fun. :) Anyways, I'll respond to your inquiry by saying, I think it's subject to interpretation as in today's game there are several examples of players not guards who at times"run the point."

I know you’re just having fun. That’s why you used the smiley faces.

without reading any posts in this thread, i would say that Melo ran a lot of "point" in 2003. Basically anytime we were pressed.

Jb has quite often had a good ball handling forward bring the ball up vs a press. Especially vs a man press. Defensively forwards aren’t typically as good as a guard in applying pressure. As to melo, he brought it up several times in the second half when Kansas was pressing. He had collison on him who had no chance to take the ball away from him and didn’t try. It’s a smart strategy if the dowsed is a good enough ball handler, which we’ve had several over the years.

I think that the bottom line is, we will have more guys on the floor next year that are comfortable handling the ball and initiating offense. They are willing passers as well as scoring threats. That makes for a fun team to watch. It may take some time for everyone to figure out how to play together, but they will have the talent and skill, and that has been lacking the past couple of years.

I do recall the Billy Owens point experiment. But that was done out of (perceived) necessity.

You can run point on offense and play forward on defense. Period.

Marek has played the 5 this year. Granted not real successful and due to injuries/foul trouble. I can see Baz getting some time there. Many teams play 3 forwards.

Yeah that was more out of necessity. Hopefully that type of move won't be necessary next year. I think Bazley could get manhandled down there as a FR.

Boeheim once had a point forward...Leo Rautins
Along with Billy Owens probably the most all-around talented player in the Boeheim era.
Nothing he couldn't do well.

Owens was a better rebounder...Leo a great passer.
His teams didn't go all that far...but Leo was terrific.
Without bad knees who knows what he could have done?

BTW Ben Simmons could be a point forward, but that is not how he is currently used.

When the Sixers play their base lineup, Simmons is in fact the point guard.
When he plays with TJ McConnell on the court, McConnell brings that ball up and initiates offense.
100% Correct.

Jb has quite often had a good ball handling forward bring the ball up vs a press. Especially vs a man press.
DC against a press was fantastic. He had great vision and passing skills, and a lot of guys who could finish. Tough to press Cuse back then.

DC against a press was fantastic. He had great vision and passing skills, and a lot of guys who could finish. Tough to press Cuse back then.
And there were times when it looked like he was daring somebody to try and take the ball away.

We should let Baze do whatever next year, I mean check out his 247 rating, kid is a born winner ;)

upload_2018-3-4_22-40-37.png

upload_2018-3-4_22-41-14.png