BE headed for split? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BE headed for split?

What is the current top BB-only league - Horizon, Missouri Valley, someone else? How much are they making?

Do the non-football BE schools share in the football revenue?

I dunno.

I'm saying if the non-football BE schools join the best of the A10 schools to form a bball conference.....and continue to have the Big East tournament in the Garden...they could negotiate a fairly decent contract.

I dunno.

I'm saying if the non-football BE schools join the best of the A10 schools to form a bball conference.....and continue to have the Big East tournament in the Garden...they could negotiate a fairly decent contract.
Yes, I get it. I still have that question though. If they don't share in FB revenue, the loss of the FB schools will not be as great to them. Sure, Pitt, Cuse, UConn are marquee schools but I agree, if they can get some of he better A10 schools, they will have a decent conference.

Soooo if the BE splits soon SU gets out immediately with no exit fee, correct?

If this happens, the money on the table for each half of the group shrinks significantly...,making the acc money more of a bonus.

with one caveat. while i believe su, pitt and wvu would have left no matter the money, if they had all stayed i dont think there would have been a split as soon and if there was, the all sports schools would have gotten decent tv contracts. it's hard to measure anything against what the big east will get now, split or no split.

Soooo if the BE splits soon SU gets out immediately with no exit fee, correct?
No. The only "split" will be football schools leaving...and they will all have to pay the basketball schools an exit fee. Basketball schools will then own the brand and the exit fees will be a good chunk of change for them.

If I were the Commish. Split, and go their separate ways.

Big East Conference: St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton
- Play a full round-robin slate in basketball.
- You return to the original roots of the BE as a basketball league with representation in major cities (NY, DC, Philly, NJ, Providence, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cincy and Dayton)
- Forget Butler unless you decide to go beyond 9.
- Keep the BE name, and try like hell to lock up MSG
- Play an made for TV early season Basketball Challenge against the departing teams every year.

Big Mess Conference: UConn, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, UCF, Memphis, Temple, Houston, SMU, Navy, UMass
- Still have good basketball with L'Ville, UConn, Cincy, Memphis, and Temple
- 12 team football conference split into 2 divisions
The Bridesmaid Division: UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, UMass, USF
The Wannabee Division: Louisville, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Cincy

- Forget Boise State, Forget San Diego State unless you decide to go to 16. If so, add as follows:
The Bridesmaid Division: UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, UMass, USF, Army, Air Force (Or ECU)
The Wannabee Division: Louisville, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Cincy, Boise State, San Diego State

Really?

I mean - sure, they can remain bound together as Ville, Uconn and Rutgers bolt for Football elsewhere... and maybe p/u some more B-Ball onlies in the process, but if that happens.

1. Call it something - but it ain't the BE.

2. With the football schools gone, these parochial b-ball onlies are in for a very rude awakening where $$$ are concerned... The days of suckling off the teet of f'ball schools is over... Their revenues are going to drop precipitously as they try and coalesce their version of the A10...

Georgetown, Nova, SJU, Marquette (And Xavier) still have a lot more name recognition and TV "value" than most A10 teams. Kind of funny though if the split happened, and Temple was back out again -- this time with the FB schools.

As far as the split goes... it won't happen soon. The football schools are not going to leave all together to form a new, (likely non-BCS) conference. Right now, they have the BCS status and a good hoops league. What they all really want is to be picked up but other conferences. They are probably begging and praying for that too happen. A mass exit to form a new league would only happen if the BE loses BCS status or if the BCS guarantees the new league would be BCS.

If the fb schools split, uconn has the most to lose. They spent a lot of blood sweat and tears earning money and championships for a conference that they'd be walking away from.

Tough decision .

As far as the split goes... it won't happen soon. The football schools are not going to leave all together to form a new, (likely non-BCS) conference. Right now, they have the BCS status and a good hoops league. What they all really want is to be picked up but other conferences. They are probably begging and praying for that too happen. A mass exit to form a new league would only happen if the BE loses BCS status or if the BCS guarantees the new league would be BCS.

The real question... it's quite possible they'll lose it in whatever re-structuring of the BCS shakedown takes place... The conference is dysfunctional, weak and viewed as a rudderless ship at the moment - not exactly a picture of stability or viability by any means.

No. The only "split" will be football schools leaving...and they will all have to pay the basketball schools an exit fee. Basketball schools will then own the brand and the exit fees will be a good chunk of change for them.

I agree, xc84. A spilt from the football schools is hardly a nightmare scenario for the basketball schools.

I'd watch the games of a new Big East basketball conference with Georgetown, Villanova, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence plus Xavier, Dayton and maybe Notre Dame. I'll bet a lot of other people would too.

If I were the Commish. Split, and go their separate ways.

Big East Conference: St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton
- Play a full round-robin slate in basketball.
- You return to the original roots of the BE as a basketball league with representation in major cities (NY, DC, Philly, NJ, Providence, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cincy and Dayton)
- Forget Butler unless you decide to go beyond 9.
- Keep the BE name, and try like hell to lock up MSG
- Play an made for TV early season Basketball Challenge against the departing teams every year.

Big Mess Conference: UConn, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, UCF, Memphis, Temple, Houston, SMU, Navy, UMass
- Still have good basketball with L'Ville, UConn, Cincy, Memphis, and Temple
- 12 team football conference split into 2 divisions
The Bridesmaid Division: UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, UMass, USF
The Wannabee Division: Louisville, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Cincy

- Forget Boise State, Forget San Diego State unless you decide to go to 16. If so, add as follows:
The Bridesmaid Division: UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, UMass, USF, Army, Air Force (Or ECU)
The Wannabee Division: Louisville, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Cincy, Boise State, San Diego State

Include ND in the BEC. As long they have access to the championship tourney they are all set. They don't need a conference for football.

Include ND in the BEC. As long they have access to the championship tourney they are all set. They don't need a conference for football.

Yup, I forgot to list ND. ND is so easy to overlook these days.

If the fb schools split, uconn has the most to lose. They spent a lot of blood sweat and tears earning money and championships for a conference that they'd be walking away from.

Tough decision .
And where do all of the BB "units" go? I think they are assigned to the league in which the team played when they were earned.

Speaking of which, will SU (and Pitt) forfeit all of the units they earned over the past 4 (?) years? And will they not get a share of those earned by the ACC? I think "yes" is the answer in both cases, which means SU will be without that income stream for quite a while.

I agree, xc84. A spilt from the football schools is hardly a nightmare scenario for the basketball schools.

I'd watch the games of a new Big East basketball conference with Georgetown, Villanova, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence plus Xavier, Dayton and maybe Notre Dame. I'll bet a lot of other people would too.

Agreed a super urban (mostly Catholic) basketball league would do well...they would find a niche and many folks might turn to them as an alternate to the football factories' basketball teams. If I were the BE BB schools I would look at adding Xavier, Butler, St Louis and Creighton.

Agreed a super urban (mostly Catholic) basketball league would do well...they would find a niche and many folks might turn to them as an alternate to the football factories' basketball teams. If I were the BE BB schools I would look at adding Xavier, Butler, St Louis and Creighton.
somebody with half a brain but with the balls, should take all teams listed by you and townie and go meet at an airport conf room somewhere and hammer that out.

the best way for those schools to survive is to create a 'high mid-major' conf, one that could compete with the football factories as you called it.

they also should tell nd to hit the bricks, they wouldnt want their football $$ being funneled to the hoop team.

somebody with half a brain but with the balls, should take all teams listed by you and townie and go meet at an airport conf room somewhere and hammer that out.

the best way for those schools to survive is to create a 'high mid-major' conf, one that could compete with the football factories as you called it.

they also should tell nd to hit the bricks, they wouldnt want their football $$ being funneled to the hoop team.

People don't realize that Creighton draws over 16k fans a game playing in MVC or whatever midmajor conference they are in...that is a bigger accomplishment than SU drawing 23k playing in the Dome vs Big East teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom