Been in ACC country for the past two days... | Syracusefan.com

Been in ACC country for the past two days...

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
And the talk radio down here is far from "the sky is falling". The rumors about NCState and VaTech are considered laughable. Even the FSU talk is considered way premature. The feelings are strong that the ACC (Swofford) has something brewing. Some have even suggested that the invitations to SU and Pitt were specifically to destabilize the BE basketball juggernaut so that the ACC could start cornering hoops with ESPN. Maybe the ACC isn't trying to compete directly in football with the SEC and Big 12? Maybe they have other plans?

Also, word on the street down here is that Greensboro's days as the ACC tourney site are numbered. The CIAA tourney (predominantly black colleges) moved out of Greensboro a couple of years ago to Charlotte and their earnings rose exponentially. They have since signed a 10-year deal with Charlotte and the Bobcats Arena. This was not lost on the ACC head office. They see BIG $$$ outside of Greensboro (think NYC and Atlanta). Atlanta is trying to lure the ACC. Swofford still has his eye on MSG.

I have a feeling there is more going on behind the scenes than meets the eyes. Either way, I wouldn't want to be left behind in the BE. Our move is going to be positive all the way around for SU.

Yes after reading that Pitt rivals post and this...I sense the ACC will counterpunch soon. I just hate that the term "Big 4" is catching on among the sports talk show morons. My prediction for the day: ND for all sports but FB and one more BE team added to get to 15.

The ACC is going after NYC and MSG...if they get ND and say UConn...it is a no brainer for the ACC to move in.

All I know is that I jumped over to Rutgers Rival board and they crap they are throwing around is hilarious. They are arguing if Temple/Memphis add to ACC is better than a Cinci/USF add. Of course, this is after Duke goes to the SEC. I kid you not.

If that's the case. UConn is the best fit outside of ND. RU would surely be left behind if that is the case. Would the ACC ever add bball onlys? GT would fit the bill there, too.

If that's the case. UConn is the best fit outside of ND. RU would surely be left behind if that is the case. Would the ACC ever add bball onlys? GT would fit the bill there, too.
If the ACC ever does, which I think is never, Notre Dame and Georgetown would be the top two options.

Yes after reading that Pitt rivals post and this...I sense the ACC will counterpunch soon. I just hate that the term "Big 4" is catching on among the sports talk show morons. My prediction for the day: ND for all sports but FB and one more BE team added to get to 15.

The ACC is going after NYC and MSG...if they get ND and say UConn...it is a no brainer for the ACC to move in.
What post are you referring to on the Pitt board?

If the ACC ever does, which I think is never, Notre Dame and Georgetown would be the top two options.

I think Nova gets in before Georgetown...adding Philly is important. Not that I think this happens.

What about St. John's? Market and tridition wise it makes sense. Not sure how they are academicly. NYC with 'Cuse, UConn, ND, St. John's and a basketball tourny could move the needle (the BE would affectively be dead in that senario)

I think Nova gets in before Georgetown...adding Philly is important. Not that I think this happens.
You're probably right. I assumed G'town played more sports than 'Nova. The Wildcats actually have more varsity sports, than the Hoyas. Maryland would probably want no part of Georgetown. And UVA, VT, and UMD all get into DC.

If I'm tracking this correctly, the only person (outside of the clueless media who believes anything written by others) that has said the ACC has a bad TV contract is the FSU BOT member who later admitted that he had no idea what he was talking about.

Am I keeping up?

You're probably right. I assumed G'town played more sports than 'Nova. The Wildcats actually have more varsity sports, than the Hoyas. Maryland would probably want no part of Georgetown. And UVA, VT, and UMD all get into DC.

Not that I think Nova will ever get into the ACC, but it would be really funny if Nova did and Buttgers did not. Bwwwwaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaahhaaaa...

What about St. John's? Market and tridition wise it makes sense. Not sure how they are academicly. NYC with 'Cuse, UConn, ND, St. John's and a basketball tourny could move the needle (the BE would affectively be dead in that senario)
Not a bad option. Probably better than Nova, as the Johnnies have been on a hot streak in recruiting, granted Lav is still there for the immediate future. Still don't think they would be on GT's, Uconn's, Ville's level of attractiveness.

US News Rankings

National Universities
#19 Notre Dame
#22 Georgetown
#82 Marquette
#132 Seton Hall
#132 DePaul
#152 St. John's

Regional Universities
#1 Villanova (North)
#4 Providence (North)

The ACC won't take anyone below #101.
National Universities

#10 Duke
#25 Wake Forest
#25 Virginia
#29 North Carolina
#31 Boston College
#36 Georgia Tech
#38 Miami
#55 Maryland
#58 Pittsburgh
#62 Syracuse
#68 Clemson
#71 Virginia Tech
#101 North Carolina State
#101 Florida State

Not that I think Nova will ever get into the ACC, but it would be really funny if Nova did and Buttgers did not. Bwwwwaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaahhaaaa...
Maybe Nova could then upgrade their football and lease the RU stadium. Not too much further from campus than the Rent from Storrs.

ok, ND for all sports, plays 4 conference games a year for five years and has out or full join after 5 years...I like!