Big East Tournament versus the ACC Tournament | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big East Tournament versus the ACC Tournament

Yes I wish we were in a tourny with Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler, and Creighton. On top of that Nova and GTown have been dead for a few years now. St Johns for much longer, although they are trying to make one last stand. No one cares about Seton Hall or Providence.

The real Big East took a big hit when Miami, VA Tech, West Virginia, and Rutgers were added. Then came Notre Dame and the conference as we knew it was dead.

The New Big East was a nice revitalization for about 10 years.

The Big East 4.0 hasn't been all that great. Nova carried the conference at first. UConn the last few years. But overall the OGs have not fared very well.

But back to the main point, the real Big East died well before we left. We didn't leave what you miss.

The Big East basketball tournament is one of the greatest sporting events. Unfortunately, those days have passed. My neighbor went to a couple of ACC tournaments after going to a few Big East tournaments at MSG and he was very disappointed. In Greensboro, you need a car and there aren't really any restaurants or bars around the arena so it's really like a football tailgate. He said Charlotte was better than Greensboro, but not in comparison to NYC. He hasn't gone back in a number of years.

The Big East basketball tournament is one of the greatest sporting events. Unfortunately, those days have passed. My neighbor went to a couple of ACC tournaments after going to a few Big East tournaments at MSG and he was very disappointed. In Greensboro, you need a car and there aren't really any restaurants or bars around the arena so it's really like a football tailgate. He said Charlotte was better than Greensboro, but not in comparison to NYC. He hasn't gone back in a number of years.

NYC speaks for itself, I mean, it's frigging MSG in the heart of Manhattan, so attempting to compare anything to it is misguided. That said, Charlotte is an excellent venue, with numerous restaurants and bars, etc. Not to mention many of the great steakhouses like Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille, Morton's, Steak 48, Sullivan's and on and on. Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse is not in Uptown, but not that far away located in the ritzy South Park area.

Pin this to the top of the board as well.

How many times does this have to be covered? Big East football doesn't exist. We needed to move to a football conference.

I miss playing in the Big East too. I also miss Phife Dawg...and Seinfeld...and Sopranos...and whatever or whomever else is dead.

The Big East tournament was great. I miss Blarney and going to MSG a lot. Wishing we were still doing that and thinking it would have been an awesome outcome for Syracuse if we had is objectively insane, people posting that here may need to be institutionalized.

The Big East tournament was great. I miss Blarney and going to MSG a lot. Wishing we were still doing that and thinking it would have been an awesome outcome for Syracuse if we had is objectively insane, people posting that here may need to be institutionalized.
I was fortunate to live through the entire 80‘s (10-20 years old) and there was nothing like the old big east. Nothing. With that said however without the ACC move pretty much every other sport aside from hoops and football would have been dealt a death blow. I get that some people dont follow anything (well i dont get it but…..) except for su hoops but some of our programs have benefitted greatly.
i wish they would bring back OV Splits and Matts beer balls as well but that isnt happening either

The BE basketball tournament was at its peak in terms of intensity when the league was 8 and 9, just as the ACC tournament was at its peak when the league was 8 and 7.

Nobody central to founding the BE ever expected it to sponsor football - it was founded only for basketball. The BE trying to then become a football league almost ruined itself forever. But there is the other side to consider: the Northeast asa region cares so little for CFB, even compared to the Pacific Coast, that it is impossible to have even 1 well watched D1 football league of schools located only in northeaster states (that means no Miami and no VT and no WVU, with Pitt bare accepted as northeastern by state name). Even with PSU in the mix, a league of BC, Cuse, PSU, Pitt, Temple, Rutgers, UConn?, Buffalo?, Army? would move 0 needles anywhere.
Honestly, UNC, Duke, Wake and NC St aren’t moving football needles either.

I understand Syracuse was chasing a big money TV deal when leaving the Big East for the ACC. But I would rather watch the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden than watch any game being placed at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte. The power of the Big East came from the region. No major Northeast recruit is going to go to choose Syracuse over a Big East school. After watching UNC beat NC State, and switching between the channels, I was actually finding myself rooting for UConn. The world is upside down and inside out. I would rather see UConn beat Duke or UNC at this point.. Although I do like NC State because Barnes is such a fun player to watch. But besides NC State, I'd rather see UConn or some other Big East school win the NCAA tournament. There was a time when people where debating whether or not Syracuse had a top 5 elite program. Let's compare the men's basketball programs between UConn and Syracuse. UConn has won 5 NCAA tournament championships (1999, 2004, 2011, 2014 and 2023). This stinks beyond imagination. Maybe someone can talk be down and explain why the ACC is so great because I don't see it. For me it's all sour grapes. onions. and Ipecac. I miss the good ole days of Syracuse being in the Big East. I hope the money from the big TV deal was worth it and the board of directors are please with themselves because since 2013 the Syracuse men's basketball program has become irrelevant.
This is an absurd statement:
“No major Northeast recruit is going to go to choose Syracuse over a Big East school.”

Considering our resources and alumni base, we should easily be out-recruiting tiny private schools like Seton Hall and Providence. And other small private schools like Creighton, Butler, Depaul, Xavier and Marquette aren’t even located anywhere near the Northeast. All those schools have over us is the Big East tournament in the Garden, and to me that’s not a reason that we should ever lose a recruit.

And also, how could any self respecting Syracuse fan ever root for UConn?!?! I hate Gtown but I might hate UConn more.

Last edited:
This is an absurd statement:
“No major Northeast recruit is going to go to choose Syracuse over a Big East school.”

And also, how could be a self respecting Syracuse fan and ever root for UConn?!?
I would rather see my house burn to the ground and my wife be caught in a gang bang than root for uconn to win at anything

We wouldn't be all this nostaglic about the Big East if the program was having more success.

BTW even if we stayed, we still wouldn't have Pitt, Louisville, WVU, and prolly UConn. We'd be looking forward to playing Georgetown (who's terrible now) and Nova. Maybe St. Johns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom