Bees - have you seen the latest | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bees - have you seen the latest

What is she supposed to do now after you guys bolted? The Big East as it stands will probably end up be raided again.

Your move came out of nowhere and shocked everyone. If you could have stuck it out another year we could have gotten a new tv contract. Maybe not as lucrative as the ACC's, who knows? To throw out all the history, all the rivalries, maybe thats still worth something to people in this day and age.

This whole SU and Pitt are traitors garbage is ridiculous if UConn got an invite they would have gone and not thought a second before accepting it, if the SEC came calling for WVU they would go. SU got an opportunity to move to a stable conference. SU football has more history with Boston College, Pittsburgh, Miami, Virginia Tech than with Cincinnati, South Florida, Louisville, UConn. The schools we are losing are Rutgers and especially West Virginia. Maryland becomes our new Rutgers and Florida St/Clemson will sadly replace WVU. Marinatto got greedy and ESPN/ACC came in plucked two teams and put the Big East in a position they were always vulnerable too because PC and its 3,850 students control the destiny of SU, WVU, RU, UConn. The BE commissioner's office has shown protecting the status quo and PC is its main objective. SU's main objective was to protect SU's viability just as UConn's is to protect UConn.

I am old enough to remember the history and can say these rivalries were (and still are) very special to us. However when you compare these rivalries to the longterm health of our athletic program, there was only one choice that needed to be made...what color pen to sign with.

The opportunity presented itself and we took advantage of it.

I guess I don't really have a problem with that reasoning. I just wish it wouldn't have blindsided everyone and left us scrambling.

I just think it's pretty bad to someone to sit there and take joy in the fact that their actions caused the demise of the Big East and left fellow long term conference members in no-mans land. That's just not how youre supposed to deal with things.

I guess I don't really have a problem with that reasoning. I just wish it wouldn't have blindsided everyone and left us scrambling.

I just think it's pretty bad to someone to sit there and take joy in the fact that their actions caused the demise of the Big East and left fellow long term conference members in no-mans land. That's just not how youre supposed to deal with things.

then with all due respect...

you are clearly an idiot.

:eek:

i cant state this enough...ITS ABOUT FOOTBALL.

and quite possibly WHERE THEY CAN PLAY THEIR GAMES.

storz is a tremendous hoop school, but is useless for football.

so if their hoop team is worth taking...but for a conf that already has SYRACUSE, north carolina, dook and maryland......it doesnt need them.

expecially when they are already in their footprint with another program.

pretty simple.

:cool:

If it's only about football then the ACC should take TCU. They are fine in fball and they would bring a big TV market in Texas to the table, whereas Rutgers brings nothing that the ACC does not already have.

Right, rivalries with UConn, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, and new ones with Louisville.

Well our deal was up in a year, and the one we turned down was already substantially higher than our current one.

If you don't want to call UConn, Rutgers, or West Virginia a football rivalry, then fine.

Honest question that's not intended to flame you-are you under 18? Maybe you're not old enough to appreciate the history.

Honest answer...the older the poster...the less relevent UCONN is to our history. UCONN pre-1990 was nothing but a wart on the butt of east coast athletics. Congrats on 20 years of BB excellence. Unflipping believable.

Classy post.
If UConn is so loyal to the Big East why is your President BEGGING and kissing BC's ring to try and get into the ACC? They should remain loyal to Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, Rutgers, TCU and reload the Big East with Navy, Central Florida, and East Carolina. That way you can show your loyalty to the Big East and remain in a BCS conference.

Been lurking the Syracuse message after the raid but I have to chime in here.

Are you really reveling in the fact that your schools backroom deal will lead to the downfall of the conference you helped build for 32 years?

That's the kind of stuff that you laugh at? I fully expect a smart ass response, but I had to say me piece.

I hope the best for all the BE schools except Rutgers and ND. ND killed the BE, not 'Cuse and Pitt.
I think the ACC should take UConn. I suppose that might mean ND also.
The remnants of the BE and B12 need to make a deal - maybe merge. Cincinnatti just stomped NCSt - the BE has a lot of good teams. I hope they do well.

If UConn is so loyal to the Big East why is your President BEGGING and kissing BC's ring to try and get into the ACC? They should remain loyal to Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, Rutgers, TCU and reload the Big East with Navy, Central Florida, and East Carolina. That way you can show your loyalty to the Big East and remain in a BCS conference.

Edit: I made my point and the majority seems happy to have killed the Big East and all the teams that they played the past 30 years that weren't really even their rivals.

Enjoy the ACC...maybe our paths will cross again so we can continue to kick your ass in football and basketball!

Edit: I made my point and the majority seems happy to have killed the Big East and all the teams that they played the past 30 years that weren't really even their rivals.

Enjoy the ACC...maybe our paths will cross again so we can continue to kick your ass in football and basketball!
You didn't answer my question I read your response earlier, but my question is why are you guys so upset all I read on other BE boards is how SU sucks at football and brings nothing well replace Pitt and SU with UCF, ECU, and Navy and the BE still has 16 basketball teams 5 top 25 programs and alleged better football teams shouldn't UConn want to remain loyal to their conference, and get their new TV contract that Notre Dame who has their OWN football contract helped nix. Rivalries mean nothing to colleges compared to dollars. Espcially when I can't name one UConn player in any sport from the 1980s, and your administration would sellout the Big East in a cocaine heartbeat.

medium_waaaaa.jpg

What is she supposed to do now after you guys bolted? The Big East as it stands will probably end up be raided again.

Your move came out of nowhere and shocked everyone. If you could have stuck it out another year we could have gotten a new tv contract. Maybe not as lucrative as the ACC's, who knows? To throw out all the history, all the rivalries, maybe thats still worth something to people in this day and age.

Dude, we would have HAD a TV contract if ND didn't help vote it down. A school that doesn't even figure into the BE Football money votes down a deal that would have kept the conference together? Syracuse and Pitt had very little choice where long term stability was concerned. The Providence Mafia obviously has other objectives that did not include helping it's flagship programs get paid. Basketball is swell and all, but in today's market it does not pay the bills, especially with a bunch of bottom feeders in the conference there to siphon off the proceeds.

Basketball for SU and Pitt will be just fine in the ACC, and they'll get to keep more of the money they earn because the conference as a whole will earn more, with every school carrying it's weight. We won't have leeches like a Providence, or DePaul, or Seton Hall to suck the money dry.

Look, I'm sorry that UConn wasn't involved in this, but it's pretty clear who the ACC wanted, and Syracuse was positioned and prepared to move, and was not about to pass up the chance after the fiasco in 2003-04. We've been the wallflower before. Not again. UConn may yet get an invite to join, but now it's up to ND, that same fine institution that has single-handedly screwed the BE time and again. If the BE was so precious to ND, they could have saved it long ago by joining for football.

As Boeheim stated several times over the past three days, the old BE is long dead. We will carry on and build new traditions and continue the ones that really matter to Syracuse fans (GTown, SJU, etc).

Honest answer...the older the poster...the less relevent UCONN is to our history. UCONN pre-1990 was nothing but a wart on the butt of east coast athletics. Congrats on 20 years of BB excellence. Unflipping believable.

Yeah, enjoy the two National Championships Calhoun paid for. The first one is the only one that counts to me. Who knows, he may have bought another one for this season too.

FWIW, what you call "blinsided" I would call a natural approach given what happened to us in 2003. That saga was soooo public that it allowed the VA legislature to squash our admission and hand it to VaTech. Had SU and Pitt been more public this time the resulting circus could easily have killed our invite. Again.

As much as I "sports hate" UConn, being an SU grad living in CT, I feel for you guys. It sucks to be left behind, and we all know because we've lived with that for 8 years. But don't be mad at us. Be mad at the hoops schools for never just shutting up and letting the big boys run the conference. Be mad at the BE leadership for not doing just that. Be mad at ND for being eternally selfish. Hell, be mad at the NCAA for mandating that a conference must have 12 teams to hold a championship game (the most overlooked thing that caused all this conference expansion mess to begin with).

But don't be mad at us. I didn't get a degree from the Big East. SU has to look out for ourselves, and UConn has done and will do the same.

You didn't answer my question I read your response earlier, but my question is why are you guys so upset all I read on other BE boards is how SU sucks at football and brings nothing well replace Pitt and SU with UCF, ECU, and Navy and the BE still has 16 basketball teams 5 top 25 programs and alleged better football teams shouldn't UConn want to remain loyal to their conference, and get their new TV contract that Notre Dame who has their OWN football contract helped nix. Rivalries mean nothing to colleges compared to dollars. Espcially when I can't name one UConn player in any sport from the 1980s, and your administration would sellout the Big East in a cocaine heartbeat.

Syracuse currently sucks at football, but you guys and Pittsburgh have by far the most tradition of any Big East program. UCF, ECU can't even come in the same stratosphere, even though right now, on the field they would both comparable programs.

I wouldn't have accepted the new tv deal either. Why take a below market deal, when in one year you would be free to go in the open market to negotiate with multiple bidders?

I am in my 20s and have followed the Big East since I was 7 and I can't name 1 UConn player till that George guy against Clemson in the 1990? NCAA tournament. I can name Gtown, St John, Nova, Seton Hall, BC, and even PC players from the 1980s. UConn has been a top 5 program nationally since 1990, but our history with UConn is younger than I am. To be honest UConn filled the void of Georgetown, and UConn's void can be picked up by Duke, North Carolina, Maryland, Pitt, or BC.

Yeah, enjoy the two National Championships Calhoun paid for. The first one is the only one that counts to me. Who knows, he may have bought another one for this season too.

Grasp at some more straws, please.

Also, Cuse fans act as if their program wasn't put on probation before under Boeheim.

i cant state this enough...ITS ABOUT FOOTBALL.

and quite possibly WHERE THEY CAN PLAY THEIR GAMES.

storz is a tremendous hoop school, but is useless for football.

so if their hoop team is worth taking...but for a conf that already has SYRACUSE, north carolina, dook and maryland......it doesnt need them.

expecially when they are already in their footprint with another program.

pretty simple.

:cool:

If it were really about football then I think West Virginia should be heading to the ACC in this round and we would already be in the ACC instead of Boston College.

For the ACC, apparently it's so much more than simply football. It's academics, it's markets, it's overall athletic department, etc.

If the goal is to get ND, and ND does go (which is highly doubtful), #16 will more than likely be UConn over Rutgers. Since I don't see ND giving up independence until the very last minute possible when it's all said and done I believe it will be UConn and Rutgers (in that order).

Cheers,
Neil

Syracuse currently sucks at football, but you guys and Pittsburgh have by far the most tradition of any Big East program. UCF, ECU can't even come in the same stratosphere, even though right now, on the field they would both comparable programs.

I wouldn't have accepted the new tv deal either. Why take a below market deal, when in one year you would be free to go in the open market to negotiate with multiple bidders?

We were 8-5 last season. Enjoy P and D. Being bitter here isn't gonna help you.

One word - hambone.

I swear most people on these forums are social workers or work for non profits, nothing wrong with that. Sink or swim, why is that so hard to understand and I would rather feed my familiy than somebody elses. plain and simple. I own my own business and learned very quikcly that nobody outside of my business gives a rats ing ass as to what happens to me or my business, it's the same every where. Kudos to Syracuse and I respect Gross and Cantor 10,000 times more than I did a week ago. I could care less what happens to any other school besides mine and those would be CBA/ ESF and Syracuse in case I haven't been clear

You've made your point. You don't like that we left the Big East, but wish you could come along for the ride.

Now piss off...

sorry, but this league was doomed in the 1980's when psu was rejected and the "confederation of bball was formed. please take a history class on the big east. providence dubbed the big east as a bball conference, no emphasis on football and growth. we sat on our hands for years. why do you think the first exodus happened?

Better check the records before you start spouting off on who's football team currently sucks. I would say SU is on the rise and UConn is on the descent. If you don't believe me, just wait a few more games. Run, run, pass, punt will start to sink in. What losses will pile up. And then your head will explode from the madness.

Enjoy being a mid-major dick. I hope you and UMass can develop a rivalry.