Beginning to come to light: ACCnetwork go decision by early 2016 | Syracusefan.com

Beginning to come to light: ACCnetwork go decision by early 2016

arbitragegls

All Conference
As previously discussed, the whispers continue concerning the upcoming ACCnetwork. As those whispers become louder, so does the belief that in early 2016 the final decision will be made. As indicated in a article by David Teel last evening with VT AD Babcock:

"Fans often ask me when they can expect the ACC to launch such a project, and Babcock said he expects a yes-or-no decision within 18 months.

“That SEC Network is really impressive,” he said. “I believe even before they launched they had more households than ESPNU. … I think in some respects we need to root for the SEC Network to do well because ESPN will have the template and we can follow it in 2016.

Additionally, the following list is being checked:
  • SEC network successful--to date it has gained carriage necessary to be successful
  • ACC signed the GOR--signed
  • Univ. Maryland lawsuit -- finalized
  • ACC football continues it upward swing...this season important
  • No major change in TV viewership takes place in next 2 years nor is projected over next 10 years
My belief, as documented previously, is not if the ACCnetwork happens but when...bet on 2016-2017 at latest to be aired.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

I wonder if there were any SEC insiders who had info on the creation of the SECN and how long that came into fruition?

If they are going to make a go/no-go decision by early 2016, there is no way it gets off the ground until at least 2018. Didn't the SEC Network take almost 3 years before it finally aired? Too much negotiation will be needed. Plus, who knows what the cable climate will be at by then.

What will happen first - this network happens, or NASA launches its new rocket.

I'm betting on NASA.

The decision is going to be based on how much money ESPN makes off the SECNetwork. If ESPN thinks they can make more money off an ACC Network they will do it. SEC Network is in more homes than ESPNU because of cazy SEC fans. The SEC owns Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kentucky, Arkansas and part of Texas. Those anchors allowed ESPN to hammer the network on Directv.

The ACC owns North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky and needs Georgia Tech to get Georgia, Pitt to get Pennsylvania, Syracuse to get New York, Boston College to get Massachusetts for the ACC Network to work.

I think ESPN will do the ACC network with a deal similar to SEC one, but maybe the ACC gets slightly less favorable terms unless the ACC FB brand improves even more. ESPN's armada of PR staff working on the SEC Network gives them the template for an ACC Network.

Arb...any word about the Maryland money? Is it going to be used to buy back inventory?

Arb...any word about the Maryland money? Is it going to be used to buy back inventory?
Nobody will say on the record where that 31 million withheld from Maryland is going to go, but smart money is that it will be used to sweeten to the offers to FOX and Raycom to buy back the leased games purchased from ESPN at the ACC's request.

ESPN took a while for the SEC Network to startup because the SEC had no production studios so ESPN had to build a new studio adjacent to the one in Charlotte from ESPNU AND ESPN waited until the SEC on its own had all 14 members buy back their 3rd tier rights that each school had sold from its last TV deal. ESPN told the SEC we will use our muscle to get cable providers onboard which is the hardest part once we know all 14 schools will be able to provide content. ESPN won't make a decision until on an ACC Network till the ACC does the same and purchases back the games from FOX and Raycom.

Verizon FiOS announced yesterday that only subcribers in SEC territory will get the SEC Network.

ACC basketball has to push the value of an ACC Network equal or greater than SEC or B1G.

ACC basketball has to push the value of an ACC Network equal or greater than SEC or B1G.
Football drives the money bus. Basketball only contributes gas money. All the other sports are just along for the ride.

Football drives the money bus. Basketball only contributes gas money. All the other sports are just along for the ride.
I know that's generally true , but no other conference has Syracuse , Duke , North Carolina , Louisville and Notre Dame. Those have to be in the top 10 for national following.

Not even close I'm afraid. Remember that there is a much larger inventory of hoops, so it takes away some of the value.

Not even close I'm afraid. Remember that there is a much larger inventory of hoops, so it takes away some of the value.
I would think the hoops inventory would add value in this case. Conference networks need interesting inventory to draw viewership which drives advertiserising and ultimately value. While football certainly drives tier 1 and 2 television contracts I have go believe large content for basketball has to dramatically help tier 3, which is what the conference networks are showing.

SyracuseMiami said:
I would think the hoops inventory would add value in this case. Conference networks need interesting inventory to draw viewership which drives advertiserising and ultimately value. While football certainly drives tier 1 and 2 television contracts I have go believe large content for basketball has to dramatically help tier 3, which is what the conference networks are showing.

Took the words out of my mouth. Football is the primary driver, but in non-football months - SEC channel viewership will decline a bunch. I'd bet the thirst for SEC basketball and Olympic sports is pretty low overall. Baseball is big, I think.

ACC basketball is a behemoth in comparison.

So SEC deal will be for more since FB is so big, ACC basketball has to mitigate that somewhat. (And I know basketball ratings are not great outside of the tourney... But still)

Took the words out of my mouth. Football is the primary driver, but in non-football months - SEC channel viewership will decline a bunch. I'd bet the thirst for SEC basketball and Olympic sports is pretty low overall. Baseball is big, I think.

ACC basketball is a behemoth in comparison.

So SEC deal will be for more since FB is so big, ACC basketball has to mitigate that somewhat. (And I know basketball ratings are not great outside of the tourney... But still)
Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Miami FB are the keys to the ACC Network.
Florida State and Clmeson will be good each year. If those teams can produce consecutive top 25 seasons then the ACC Network will have more football. Basketball/Lacrosse/Baseball will be their for the ACC after FB season, but the ACC needs those 3 teams I listed to be anchors in FB. VPI has been pretty good, UNC is has the potential with Fedora and Al Golden has the U on the upswing.

I assume the SEC value comes as much from the in-studio shows as much as the games they carry. I mean Finebaum has made a career just out of SEC football- is there an ACC Hoops equivalent? (unless they gave someone like Bilas a show)

How many people are going to pay to be able to see the Nov/Dec hoops games that aren't carried by ESPN/2/U?

I assume the SEC value comes as much from the in-studio shows as much as the games they carry. I mean Finebaum has made a career just out of SEC football- is there an ACC Hoops equivalent? (unless they gave someone like Bilas a show)

How many people are going to pay to be able to see the Nov/Dec hoops games that aren't carried by ESPN/2/U?
David Glenn would be the ACC version of Paul Finebaum.

The SEC value comes from the fact ESPN was able to leverage all the cable providers in the South and those SEC fans demanding SEC network. The ACC Network won't be as successful, but it should be able to command a real solid ability to be good espically if BC can get it in MA, SU can get the whole state of NY and Pitt can get the whole state of PA.

I don't think BC will make a dent in Mass. SU could make a nice dent in NY- if all the current Hoops games on SNY would be moving to an ACC Network.

Full_Rebar said:
I don't think BC will make a dent in Mass. SU could make a nice dent in NY- if all the current Hoops games on SNY would be moving to an ACC Network.

SNY is still doing games? You sure?

SNY is still doing games? You sure?

That's where I watched a lot of the OOC hoops games last year as they picked up the ESPN Regional games (I have DirecTV)...or it was MSG, one of the two.

not sny, msg or yes or local affiliate(think nbc,cw) if not on espn family

Mark Packer might be a better pick than Dave Glenn. More personality. Had a show in the Charlotte market for years
and is now on Sirius. The son of Billy Packer FWIW

Mark Packer might be a better pick than Dave Glenn. More personality. Had a show in the Charlotte market for years
and is now on Sirius. The son of Billy Packer FWIW
PAC-man and Southern Fried Football is better than Marc James garbage in Charlotte at FNZ.
Packer could be the ACC Finebaum because his name would attract detractors and attention, but I personally like David Glenn because he isn't as bombastic. I realize Packer is a fellow Tiger and I remember numerous rants he had about Tommy Bowden and Oliver Purnell.