Beginning to come to light: ACCnetwork go decision by early 2016 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Beginning to come to light: ACCnetwork go decision by early 2016

I get your points but the ACC has one thing the others do not: more people! The BTN is not getting $1/HHD in NYC as they projected, even in most of Jersey they are not getting that much, assuming what I have read is correct, I have not seen official numbers.

Having a larger pool to draw from allows the price to be lower while making the same or more. Personally, I am not concerned about making as much immediately as the BTN or SECN, so long as the ACCN gets up and running with quality productions. Once people realize what is available, then we will see where the true value lies. If advertising for hoops, lacrosse and baseball on the ACCN jumps to levels the BTN can only dream of post football season, then we will know the ACCN will be successful.
The population is overstated. PA doesn't give a crap about Pitt except in Pittsburgh or WPA. An ACCN isn't going to get coverage in all of PA or even SU in NY State or BC in the state of MA.

Population only matters if you have the flagship programs in those states. The ACC owns Virginia and North Carolina, FSU/Miami have less fans combined than Florida, but they get the ACCN into Florida, Clemson/South Carolina are pretty close, but USCe has more fans in SC, but Clemson gets you in SC, Louisville is second fiddle to Kentucky, but they get you in Kentucky, Georgia Tech IS WAY BEHIND Georgia, but we gotta hope they get the ACCN in Georgia.

The population argument is a Swofford talking point its helpful, but unless the FB continues improving the ACCN will be like what OmniOrange said the Pac-12 network,but with ESPN's backing.

I get your points but the ACC has one thing the others do not: more people! The BTN is not getting $1/HHD in NYC as they projected, even in most of Jersey they are not getting that much, assuming what I have read is correct, I have not seen official numbers.

Having a larger pool to draw from allows the price to be lower while making the same or more. Personally, I am not concerned about making as much immediately as the BTN or SECN, so long as the ACCN gets up and running with quality productions. Once people realize what is available, then we will see where the true value lies. If advertising for hoops, lacrosse and baseball on the ACCN jumps to levels the BTN can only dream of post football season, then we will know the ACCN will be successful.

As I understand it, number of TVHHs within a footprint only matter if the channel gets on the standard package where every subscriber of the cable/dish company is paying the price for it regardless of whether or not they watch it. This is the advantage the BTN and SECN and even P12N have over the ACC. The states within their footprints, 90% or more of the TVHHs will have to pay the full price since it will be part of the standard package.

I presently receive both the BTN and SECN, but that is because I have purchased a preferred package that includes ESPNU, ESPNNews, NBCSports, and CBSSports along with a bunch of other channels that are non-sports related.

So having a larger pool to draw from only matters if they have already purchased the right preferred package or for those outside of Virginia and North Carolina getting an ACCN matters enough to them to want to go from the standard package to the preferred package.

At least that is how I see it.

Cheers,
Neil

The population is overstated. PA doesn't give a crap about Pitt except in Pittsburgh or WPA. An ACCN isn't going to get coverage in all of PA or even SU in NY State or BC in the state of MA.

Population only matters if you have the flagship programs in those states. The ACC owns Virginia and North Carolina, FSU/Miami have less fans combined than Florida, but they get the ACCN into Florida, Clemson/South Carolina are pretty close, but USCe has more fans in SC, but Clemson gets you in SC, Louisville is second fiddle to Kentucky, but they get you in Kentucky, Georgia Tech IS WAY BEHIND Georgia, but we gotta hope they get the ACCN in Georgia.

The population argument is a Swofford talking point its helpful, but unless the FB continues improving the ACCN will be like what OmniOrange said the Pac-12 network,but with ESPN's backing.

Do you live in Florida? I did, 4 years. Florida is hated more than liked. Miami and FSU have more combined fans than Florida, and I resided in Jax, which is allegedly U. Florida territory. Ironically, there was almost as much UGA support as Gator support in Jax.

Back to your population argument. For TV purposes, you do NOT need the flagship school, you only need a notable school. I would dispute some of your allegations but it is moot. Pitt is in PA and has enough sway to bring PA into the fold for network purposes. Same in Mass, SC, GA and FL. NYC is its own animal but they love college hoops and love Syracuse hoops, so that mat be an equalizer in its own right. As for Upstate NY, as Omni pointed out, that population itself is bigger than most states (including Jersey!).

Regardless, the ACCN does not need to get as much per subscriber to be profitable. That is the simple fact. The BTN is profitable, they are merely trying to maximize profits. If the ACCN gets on the air, then the ACC can worry about maximizing profits. Advertising rates and viewership rates will let everyone know what matters in times not covered by CFB. Everything will seek equilibrium.

That is not to say that the ACC can sit back and relax regarding football. I think we all agree that ACC football needs to get better and deeper.

PAC is different in that they have a national channel plus separate regional packages. I don't know how well that's working for them. ACCNetwork doesn't necessarily have to match the other 3, one thing it will do is open the gap to the P-5 conference without a network. ACCNetwork will happen, it has to.

As I understand it, number of TVHHs within a footprint only matter if the channel gets on the standard package where every subscriber of the cable/dish company is paying the price for it regardless of whether or not they watch it. This is the advantage the BTN and SECN and even P12N have over the ACC. The states within their footprints, 90% or more of the TVHHs will have to pay the full price since it will be part of the standard package.

I presently receive both the BTN and SECN, but that is because I have purchased a preferred package that includes ESPNU, ESPNNews, NBCSports, and CBSSports along with a bunch of other channels that are non-sports related.

So having a larger pool to draw from only matters if they have already purchased the right preferred package or for those outside of Virginia and North Carolina getting an ACCN matters enough to them to want to go from the standard package to the preferred package.

Cheers,
Neil
To be fair I think FSU/Miami get the ACC into Florida, Clemson into South Carolina Louisville into Kentucky for sure. I would hope Georgia Tech gets the ACCN on in Atlanta, Pittsburght gets the ACCN on in Western PA, Syracuse gets the ACCN into Central New York, BC get Boston, AND with Notre Dame, Syracuse, Duke get the ACCN on in NYC.

Cheers,
Neil

That is my understanding, too. I believe that Clemson carries enough weight to get on the basic tier in SC, GATech , maybe not statewide, but in the Atlanta area (which is the lion's share of the population base), etc. NYC is its own animal but I think ACC hoops carries the day here, especially if people have to suffer through the BTN football as all the best B1G football games will go over other channels.

To be fair I think FSU/Miami get the ACC into Florida, Clemson into South Carolina Louisville into Kentucky for sure. I would hope Georgia Tech gets the ACCN on in Atlanta, Pittsburght gets the ACCN on in Western PA, Syracuse gets the ACCN into Central New York, BC get Boston, AND with Notre Dame, Syracuse, Duke get the ACCN on in NYC.

And this is why I think the ACCN will work. With the larger population, they do not need to get every HH. They still have a chance at every HH but it is not necessary.

Do you live in Florida? I did, 4 years. Florida is hated more than liked. Miami and FSU have more combined fans than Florida, and I resided in Jax, which is allegedly U. Florida territory. Ironically, there was almost as much UGA support as Gator support in Jax.

Back to your population argument. For TV purposes, you do NOT need the flagship school, you only need a notable school. I would dispute some of your allegations but it is moot. Pitt is in PA and has enough sway to bring PA into the fold for network purposes. Same in Mass, SC, GA and FL. NYC is its own animal but they love college hoops and love Syracuse hoops, so that mat be an equalizer in its own right. As for Upstate NY, as Omni pointed out, that population itself is bigger than most states (including Jersey!).

Regardless, the ACCN does not need to get as much per subscriber to be profitable. That is the simple fact. The BTN is profitable, they are merely trying to maximize profits. If the ACCN gets on the air, then the ACC can worry about maximizing profits. Advertising rates and viewership rates will let everyone know what matters in times not covered by CFB. Everything will seek equilibrium.

That is not to say that the ACC can sit back and relax regarding football. I think we all agree that ACC football needs to get better and deeper.
Florida owns the state of Florida. Even Lou_C would tell you that.
Florida State and Miami though combined would get a ACC network on Florida though.

Florida owns the state of Florida. Even Lou_C would tell you that.
Florida State and Miami though combined would get a ACC network on Florida though.
WARNING: Everything said by Alsacs is the express opinion of Alsacs and not a fact or reflect the views of anyone else on SyracuseFan. Read at your risk.

I have been here in the Tampa area since 1997... your warning is the truest statement you have made here... UF/FSU are pretty close from the I-4 corridor north. On its own, FSU would get into FL. Miami is probably stronger than both in south FL.

WARNING: Everything said by Alsacs is the express opinion of Alsacs and not a fact or reflect the views of anyone else on SyracuseFan. Read at your risk.

I have been here in the Tampa area since 1997... your warning is the truest statement you have made here... UF/FSU are pretty close from the I-4 corridor north. On its own, FSU would get into FL. Miami is probably stronger than both in south FL.
I said FSU and Miami would get the ACC network on in the Florida. My point that Florida is more popular than FSU in Florida comes from my understanding of the state. It doesn't mean FSU doesn't have a huge fanbase it's just not as large as bandwagon Gator fans.

Alsacs said:
They are light years ahead of us. Syracuse football has gone from one of the worst BCS teams to average BCS which from where we we're is great and upward trajectory. Syracuse football has NOT been discussed in real segment on College Gameday in the last decade except 1 time it was at out nadir after Syracuse lost to Akron. Until Syracuse has back to back 8 win seasons we can say we are approaching the VPIs of the conference. Htown can rightfully say I am wrong on UNC he is right they are on our level now but they have fertile recruiting and I like where they are headed. Syracuse needs to win as well but the top FB brands in the ACC are 1. Florida State 2. Miami...3. Virginia Tech,,4, Clemson

We were mentioned on Gameday after the Louisville upset two years ago - and when Clemson came to the dome last year it was brought up and most gave us a nod (and them picked Clemson).

VPI was okay in the BE, never really threatening any kind of real significant run outside of the one Vick year. In the ACC the lack of competition after the 1st BE raid was embarrassing for the conference. VPI won the BCS berths by default (when they weren't struggling with the other BE traitor, BC.) FSU was down for most of that time, and Clemson had a rash of mediocrity stretching a decade. Miami has been disappointing in the ACC for as long as they were dominant in the BE.

As many have argued the old BE was close to on par with the ACC for years, despite the obvious media ACC butt kissing. VPI was the best of mediocre to bad teams in the ACC.

I think we need FSU and Miami to be the true kings of their divisions and a rivalry that generates huge buzz in season - the division alignment was clearly set up with that in mind. Clemson makes sense as they have the game day experience and feel like an SEC team by geography.

If you want to put VPI up there you can, but I think your largely overstating their competence and national relevance. Geography is important I guess - not sure how the rate in the DC market. It's pretty saturated, like NYC to an extent.

The best thing for the ACC is for extended excellence in bowl games and the playoff (and some OOC, esp SEC games). The trick isn't to have 4 "nationally relevant" brands - but the conference profile rising by beating the other P5 schools consistently.

I said FSU and Miami would get the ACC network on in the Florida. My point that Florida is more popular than FSU in Florida comes from my understanding of the state. It doesn't mean FSU doesn't have a huge fanbase it's just not as large as bandwagon Gator fans.
I agree with this...Florida is the Flagship but FSU and Miami make a nice grouping.

I think it is interesting how closely the ACC seems to be seeing behind the scenes of the SEC network deal. I'm thinking the two networks both under ESPN may work together. The markets SEC cant sign 100% (ie fios outside the south) will need to take the SECN to get the ACCN which includes ND and vice versa in the south that pushes the SEC network solidly into the major North East and mid Atlantic cities Chicago and the mid west, and solidifies the ACC getting picked up across the entire south, parts of Texas, St Louis and KC. When you combine those two conference brands + ND together its likely to push out to California and ehm Nevada. If they work together they could push for nearly national coverage or at least make a play for every major media market in the country.

SEC + ACC + ND have won all or a share of 20 national football titles and 14 basketball titles since 1988 that's nearly the entire sportswatching life of the critical18-35 demographic and played for the title in most of the non winning years.

Have no inside scoop, but the more and more I read about the cable TV industry - the more and more I truly believe the whole entire model is going to be blown up.

Which could mean that all of the money the Big Ten and now SEC is counting on from their cable networks could eventually diminish considerably if there is true a la carte cable TV - which I truly believe will happen at some point in my lifetime.

Which could mean that all of the money the Big Ten and now SEC is counting on from their cable networks could eventually diminish considerably if there is true a la carte cable TV - which I truly believe will happen at some point in my lifetime.
I don't want to turn this into another cable model and content distribution thread, as we've had too many of those over the years. Don't be surprised if your "true a là carte" model will end up costing you more.

I don't want to turn this into another cable model and content distribution thread, as we've had too many of those over the years. Don't be surprised if your "true a là carte" model will end up costing you more.
But I threw red meat out to the pack of TV wolves ("true a là carte" model will end up costing you more) well done Moontan.

We were mentioned on Gameday after the Louisville upset two years ago - and when Clemson came to the dome last year it was brought up and most gave us a nod (and them picked Clemson).

VPI was okay in the BE, never really threatening any kind of real significant run outside of the one Vick year. In the ACC the lack of competition after the 1st BE raid was embarrassing for the conference. VPI won the BCS berths by default (when they weren't struggling with the other BE traitor, BC.) FSU was down for most of that time, and Clemson had a rash of mediocrity stretching a decade. Miami has been disappointing in the ACC for as long as they were dominant in the BE.

As many have argued the old BE was close to on par with the ACC for years, despite the obvious media ACC butt kissing. VPI was the best of mediocre to bad teams in the ACC.

I think we need FSU and Miami to be the true kings of their divisions and a rivalry that generates huge buzz in season - the division alignment was clearly set up with that in mind. Clemson makes sense as they have the game day experience and feel like an SEC team by geography.

If you want to put VPI up there you can, but I think your largely overstating their competence and national relevance. Geography is important I guess - not sure how the rate in the DC market. It's pretty saturated, like NYC to an extent.

The best thing for the ACC is for extended excellence in bowl games and the playoff (and some OOC, esp SEC games). The trick isn't to have 4 "nationally relevant" brands - but the conference profile rising by beating the other P5 schools consistently.
I want to stop defending VPI, but they were not nothing while in the Big East. I remember as kid watching VPI smoke Texas in the Sugar Bowl in 1994-1996 I can't remember the year.

Virginia Tech is a legit top 25 program and they have one of the top 4 FB brands in the ACC.

I think the opposite is true. FL is a very weird state when it comes to the fan bases. I lived in Tampa for 3 years and I believed it was more of a 50/50 split when I lived there (96-99). I know the U owns South FL. maybe FSU gets some support but UF, forget about it.

I think the opposite is true. FL is a very weird state when it comes to the fan bases. I lived in Tampa for 3 years and I believed it was more of a 50/50 split when I lived there (96-99). I know the U owns South FL. maybe FSU gets some support but UF, forget about it.
Florida has the most fan support throughout the whole state of Florida. Florida State's support mainly comes from the I-4 North, Miami's support in South Florida. I don't want to be disrespectful to the Noles and Canes, but the Gators are the most popular team in Florida. I would love for the Noles to pass them, but it will take a while for them to do so. The Noles bandwagon probably got bigger last year, but they need more NCs to catch Florida's bandwagon fans.