Being (perennially) irrelevant sucks | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Being (perennially) irrelevant sucks

Remember when Gross was here and we only had to worry about fixing football?

So you agree the bottom fell out?

Pitt never finished ahead of us in the ACC under Dixon. That program is a mess and it doesn’t look like Capel - with his conference connections and past success - can save it.

Louisville is set up better geographically for the ACC. They thrived in the Big East because of Pitino.

No evidence? What about BC? They were at their peak when they left the Big East. Had a great first year in the ACC (like us) and now they’re a complete joke.

Miami hasn’t been the same in football since joining the ACC.

Virginia Tech has been better in basketball, but getting worse in football. The ACC makes more sense for them geographically, though.

This is basketball specific. Louisville is like us and has always been good. They were the best mid major ever until they came to the BE if you call Conference USA and it's predecessors a mid major. They've also signed guys in our prime recruiting area that we either missed or passed on. See Jordan Nwora and Donovan Mitchell.

BC stinks because winning 20-25 games wasn't enough for them so the fired Al Skinner 5 years after being the the ACC. They made the dance 3 times in 5 years in the conference before he was let go. They invest nothing in athletics and have some of the hardest admissions in the conference for sports.

Notre Dame hit a rough patch two years ago when their entire team was basically injured and they haven't recovered. IMO Brey is underperforming this year with the talent he has.

Syracuse stinking has nothing to do with the ACC. UNC and Duke aren't even on their normal level anymore and trending down themselves. We are talking about a conference currently dominated by Virginia and Florida State who were bottom dwellers in this conference for 3 decades.

We continue to let elite talent from our prime recruiting area go elsewhere on a yearly basis. I get guys want to leave home, but outside of Girard and Buddy we have missed or not offered on guys in state on a yearly basis. That has zero to do with the ACC. See Thomas Bryant, Kevin Huerter, Isaiah Stewart, Jordan Nwora, Champagnie etc.

Last edited:
You hit it on the head. Recruiting will remain a challenge long after JB is gone, and not because of anything he did or didn’t do. The ACC is where Big East programs go to die.

Not that we had a choice. The move had to happen. It’s too bad we don’t have a medical school. I think a move to the Big 10 would have worked out better.
Wasn’t Louisville in the Big East?

These last few seasons are killing my ability to create super fans of my 12/13 year old step-sons. They were just old enough to kind of care about the tourney runs and were in the dome for Gillon's buzzer beater vs Duke and they were on there way. Not being able to go to Varsity & climb up to the Dome combined with the team being irrelevant has not been conducive to maintaining trajectory of their fanhood. They already fully stopped caring about football post-Dungey and put all of their football care into the Bills.

Yeah, you got me. One game invalidates my whole argument.
I was just giving you an example. With so few OOC games this year, one has to take the Conference strengths with a grain of salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom