Being (perennially) irrelevant sucks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Being (perennially) irrelevant sucks

What sucks is the lack of excitement I get to watch a game. Growing up you waited all week and all day to get to certain games and couldn’t wait to watch. Uconn. Pitt. Louisville. It was just so fun. That’s what sucks now.
All we care about is how each game effects our standing with the NCAA tourney. Used to be that each game meant everything regardless of its impact on our standing with the big dance. It was a given that our ticket was punched. Those rivalries gave us national recognition but those days are gone.
Resurrection is possible but unlikely. Our facilities are no longer best in class, none of our games garner national interest and our TV presence is minimal. Acc network is boutique, not big time. None of this is the fault of staff.

I was never in the camp that being in the ACC would help with recruiting. Did the Big East help Rutgers. No big games, no rivals, no gravitas, no recruits. Recovery is not going to be easy. Young JB,s do not grow on trees.
I've heard it said that recruits will come for the opportunity to play the likes of Duke, NC... Nonsense; Did recruits go to Rutgers for the opportunity to lose to Syracuse. A Duke Syracuse game has no special meaning. Compare that to the old days when a Cuse Georgetown game meant the world.

We are a fish out of water. Recruiting for us is now a hard sell. Zone just makes it even harder, now that we play a bad zone.

I agree with a lot of this except I think a Duke/Syracuse game could have meant something if we showed up into the ACC and consistently competed for ACC titles. The initial games against UNC and especially Duke had a lot of buzz around them. If a top dog from the Big East immediately became a top dog in the ACC, I think the narrative would be a lot different. Instead we moved over to the ACC and became their Providence.

I don't think the move to the ACC caused our downward slide, I think they both just happened to happen at around the same time. That said, staying in the Big East might have masked it better because we would not have been playing as many good teams every year. The middle and bottom of the ACC is a lot better than the middle and bottom of the Big East.

They really need to find another way to get atleast another 14 teams to play-in in the tournament. They are way overdue with these 14 team power conferences.

Acc gets 8 out of 15. They should be getting 10 every year, Super rare maybe 11. Were getting just above 50% in. Not enough. They are talking about 7 out of 15 less than 50% this year.
Big 12 only has ten teams, but should be always getting 6 and probably 7's more than less.
Big 10 has 14 teams should also be getting 9 every year, and 10 if someone has a few decent wins.
Sec has 14 same idea as Big 10.

That would still spell another few for pac 12, big east mountain west, whoever with 2-3 more midmajors.

Last edited:
They really need to find another way to get atleast another 14 teams to play-in in the tournament. They are way overdue with these 14 team power conferences.

Acc gets 8 out of 15. They should be getting 10 every year, Super rare maybe 11. Were getting just above 50% in. Not enough. They are talking about 7 out of 15 less than 50% this year.
Big 12 only has ten teams, but should be always getting 6 and probably 7's more than less.
Big 10 has 14 teams should also be getting 9 every year, and 10 if someone has a few decent wins.

That would still spell another few for pac 12, big east mountain west, whoever with 2-3 more midmajors.
In future years the NCAA could open 16 slots (4 per region) and keep the NIT at 16.

This year JB gets a pass, what w/ Covid and all it’s implications. He’ll have his bounce back chance as things trend back to normal.
If we’re in this same place next year, then Wildhack has to make a move. Period.

Last edited:
All we care about is how each game effects our standing with the NCAA tourney. Used to be that each game meant everything regardless of its impact on our standing with the big dance. It was a given that our ticket was punched. Those rivalries gave us national recognition but those days are gone.
Resurrection is possible but unlikely. Our facilities are no longer best in class, none of our games garner national interest and our TV presence is minimal. Acc network is boutique, not big time. None of this is the fault of staff.
Some of it is the fault of the staff. What changes the TV presence and the meaningfulness of the games is whether you are good. We're not. If we recruit better players, play exciting basketball, and win more games, everything changes. We get on the major networks, national pundits talk about us, and the games mean more.

The 68 team field is perfect.
It makes earning your way into the field a thing.
If teams are good enough they will get in.
This year JB gets a pass, what w/ Covid and all it’s implications. He’ll have his bounce back chance as things trend back to normal.
If we’re in this same place next year, then Wildhack has to make a move. Period.
What is a bounce back?
We haven’t finished above 6th in ACC standings since 2014.

It’s either the fanbase accepts mediocrity or its time to move on.

College basketball stability depends on guard play and our guard play isn’t going to be much better next year.
I don’t see Kadary getting 35+ MPG next year and Joe being a 10 MPG player.

You hit it on the head. Recruiting will remain a challenge long after JB is gone, and not because of anything he did or didn’t do. The ACC is where Big East programs go to die.

Not that we had a choice. The move had to happen. It’s too bad we don’t have a medical school. I think a move to the Big 10 would have worked out better.

JB could take a nap on the bench during a game and you would still find a way to find an excuse for him.

You hit it on the head. Recruiting will remain a challenge long after JB is gone, and not because of anything he did or didn’t do. The ACC is where Big East programs go to die.

Not that we had a choice. The move had to happen. It’s too bad we don’t have a medical school. I think a move to the Big 10 would have worked out better.
Notre Dame has had more success in the ACC than the Big East in baskeball.
They won a ACC tournament and got to back to back Elite 8’s.

The ACC is more top heavy than the Big East but the middle and bottom are worse.

Recruiting won’t be as difficult as you imply when we have a lot of talent in our recruiting region. If we had a style of play that was appealing or actually even tried to recruit some of these kids we would be better.
I can list guys we have screwed up on and you won’t care.

Notre Dame has had more success in the ACC than the Big East in baskeball.
They won a ACC tournament and got to back to back Elite 8’s.

The ACC is more top heavy than the Big East but the middle and bottom are worse.

Recruiting won’t be as difficult as you imply when we have a lot of talent in our recruiting region. If we had a style of play that was appealing or actually even tried to recruit some of these kids we would be better.
I can list guys we have screwed up on and you won’t care.

Notre Dame was doing great until the bottom fell out two years ago. Pittsburgh was winning games still until Dixon left because he wasn’t winning in the tournament. Louisville is still winning games. Day2‘s reasoning has no evidence to back it up.

Notre Dame was doing great until the bottom fell out two years ago. Pittsburgh was winning games still until Dixon left because he wasn’t winning in the tournament. Louisville is still winning games. Day2‘s reasoning doesn’t hold water and there’s no evidence to back it up.
It would take 2 years for a good hire to have us back to where we are now.
3 years to be better.

The next HC isn’t going to be better than Boeheim. That is an obvious statement. People who don’t get the frustration and just defend the status quo are like reverse Brian’s.

It’s not going to be much better next year barring we get that elite center and Kadary plays 30+ MPG.

We are easy to prepare for and the talent can’t just overcome that.

Huh? If the staff did a better job, much of our ailments are treated. Much of this is absolutely on the staff.

They really need to find another way to get atleast another 14 teams to play-in in the tournament.
To each their own, but if it was up to me we would get rid of Dayton and just go back to 64 teams.

College basketball is the most forgiving sport in America. You can go winless the entire year, but if you get hot in a 4-5 day stretch in your conference tourney, you're in. I just don't see the need to water down the field with more 17-13/18-12 teams that had every chance to improve their resume but didn't get it done.

I was never in the camp that being in the ACC would help with recruiting. Did the Big East help Rutgers. No big games, no rivals, no gravitas, no recruits. Recovery is not going to be easy. Young JB,s do not grow on trees.
I've heard it said that recruits will come for the opportunity to play the likes of Duke, NC... Nonsense; Did recruits go to Rutgers for the opportunity to lose to Syracuse. A Duke Syracuse game has no special meaning. Compare that to the old days when a Cuse Georgetown game meant the world.

We are a fish out of water. Recruiting for us is now a hard sell. Zone just makes it even harder, now that we play a bad zone.
Simply a fb money deal

That said, staying in the Big East might have masked it better
But we have football also, so in all likelihood we would have ended up in the American like UConn and Louisville briefly if we weren't in the ACC.

I don't think the move to the ACC caused our downward slide, I think they both just happened to happen at around the same time. That said, staying in the Big East might have masked it better because we would not have been playing as many good teams every year. The middle and bottom of the ACC is a lot better than the middle and bottom of the Big East.

LOL so we needed to drop down and be a mid major so JB could keep winning.

I like to catch a little bit of Wizards games here and there. Last night I was watching the 4th quarter of Wizards/Celtics and it was just Beal/Westbrook/Tatum/Kemba going back and forth making super athletic play after another, but my wife asks me "why don't you watch this instead of college basketball? It's so much faster and more entertaining."

I felt like Hyman Roth. "This is the business I've chosen."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom