Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy

I can't believe anyone would give a flying f**k. It's not like we play WVU every year anymore, and we likely aren't going to play them again for many, many, many years. The trophy that was given out for the winner when the game was played annually is now kindling for a fire on a cold winter night in CNY.

If we're going to make a big deal about this trophy, we really need to create a trophy for our games with Northwestern, since going forward we'll be playing them a lot more often than WVU

Our players and coach were sure excited to win it the last two years. Personally, I think that piece of our program's history is worth giving a flying f**k about.

I can't believe anyone would give a flying f**k. It's not like we play WVU every year anymore, and we likely aren't going to play them again for many, many, many years. The trophy that was given out for the winner when the game was played annually is now kindling for a fire on a cold winter night in CNY.

If we're going to make a big deal about this trophy, we really need to create a trophy for our games with Northwestern, since going forward we'll be playing them a lot more often than WVU

You also could have just said "I don't understand the point of college football" and save the admins a few cents in bandwidth.

Look, all we've heard from those toothless idiots for a year is about how much better off they are now than when they had to play us regularly. That the rivalry didn't mean anything to them. Their dickhead AD said he'd rather be playing Air Force and Navy because they have better programs than Syracuse.

NOW those f**king idiots want to play for the trophy we used to play for annually? How 'bout this for a plan - they act like a bunch of grown-ups for once (and likely the first time in their pathetic lives) and admit the rivalry meant a lot to them, they were pissed off when we left, and said a lot of crap on the way out the door they didn't mean.

If they still would rather run around and pretend we don't matter to them, f**k 'em. The trophy can stay in the janitorial closet at Manley for all eternity then.

You also could have just said "I don't understand the point of college football" and save the admins a few cents in bandwidth.

Educate me on the point of a trophy for a game that isn't played annually. The folks running conference re-alignment clearly don't care about history, so it's a little outdated if you still do.

Our players and coach were sure excited to win it the last two years. Personally, I think that piece of our program's history is worth giving a flying f**k about.

It made sense then. Playing for a trophy for a game that was once an annual tradition because we happened to meet in a bowl game is like buying your ex-wife a birthday present because you happened to run into her on the street.

Educate me on the point of a trophy for a game that isn't played annually. The folks running conference re-alignment clearly don't care about history, so it's a little outdated if you still do.

Because last time we played them was A YEAR AGO.

If this was about playing for some trophy against Colgate I'd get the point.

Orange 79 Thats what was said each BCS game we won (WVU) by the fan of the team we beat.
After the first split we did represent the Big East well. More so than any other team.

The best rivalry that was torn asunder by realignment was Texas/aTm. Did they have a trophy? That was a real rivalry. Never more so than the year the 12 aTm kids were killed building their annual bonfire for the game ... followed a few days later by the Texas band doing a tribute to aTm at halftime. Watch this and cry... especially at the end when the Texas band members raise the aTm flags above the Texas flags. Now that was a rivalry. SU/WVU was nothing in comparison

The best rivalry that was torn asunder by realignment was Texas/aTm. Did they have a trophy? That was a real rivalry. Never more so than the year the 12 aTm kids were killed building their annual bonfire for the game ... followed a few days later by the Texas band doing a tribute to aTm at halftime. Watch this and cry... especially at the end when the Texas band members raise the aTm flags above the Texas flags. Now that was a rivalry. SU/WVU was nothing in comparison

UT-A&M is no doubt one of the great rivalries done in by realignment. I'd argue, though, that Kansas-Missouri is the biggest, longest most passionate rivalry that even those of us East of the Mississippi will no longer get to observe. The Border War, as it was known, is rooted in the Civil War. The football series was the second or third longest played rivalry ever, dating back to 1890 I believe. Some 120 games played annually, the final one being last year at Arrowhead Stadium where the annual game was moved a few years ago. The basketball series was also a long and heated one. The schools even concocted a scoring system by which to calculate which school won the overall rivalry each year, with certain agreed upon values for football, basketball, baseball, gymnastics, etc., the winner taking the point for winning the matchup. Now that is true rivalry.

It is a crying shame that rivalries like this are an afterthought in realignment. Money, power, TV rights are killing the essence of college athletics.

How is this even a conversation?

When the two play each other, the trophy is on the line. Period.

Steinbrenners will be hitting the winner with a luxury tax on the trophy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom